Notices
Scion tC 1G Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

Just a warning.. my Tein Superstreet Coilover broke

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2005, 01:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Just a warning.. my Tein Superstreet Coilover broke

I took my tC into the dealer the other day to get my 30,000 mile service done. Not only did I discover my brake light had been going off because my brake pads were shot and my brake fluid was low, but I was also delighted to hear that one of my front coilovers had busted a seal and was leaking oil.

Now, this came as a surprise to me as I've only had them for about 5 months now.. and paid a hefty price to get the top of the line suspension product from Tein (Superstreet coilovers with pillowball uppermounts). My dealer told me they were nearly 100% sure that it was a product defect and not any fault of my own.

I contacted Tein who told me the only thing I could do was ship the coilover out to them for repair or replacement. They left me no option but to put my stock springs/shocks back on the front end of the car. This has left me at a great disadvantage as it will take several weeks for Tein to get back to me.

So, in conclusion I'd just like to warn you all that just because you pay a lot of money for something doesn't mean it will hold up longer than a less expensive product! Tein has treated this problem like it was nothing. I have received no apology or alternate option to having my car indisposed for several weeks. It is a very frustrating thing to deal with.. so I guess just be aware that there appears to be a problem with these coilovers. Has anyone else with Tein coilovers experienced a similar problem?
Old 11-23-2005, 07:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

will tein replace or repair the unit for free under warranty?

from your description, i dont think tein has done anything wrong. i had a H&R coilover (lifetime warranty) bust on my old car. I had to send it to them in Washington state before they sent me a free replacement. Same happened with a friend's Bilstein coilover (also lifetime warranty).
Old 11-23-2005, 08:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Scion Evolution

everyone knows that paying al ot doesnt mean its a good product... haha

GL
Old 11-24-2005, 05:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

sorry to hear about your coilover going bad. i'm sure it happens though. as for your "only option," i'm not sure what else you would expect them to do. send you a brand new coilover?

anyway, good luck and i hope it gets back to you promptly.
Old 11-24-2005, 12:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

In every product there maybe a flaw in some of them. Maybe a slight and minor manufacturing defect caused it. You are probably 1 out of 1000 people that have this problem. Sorry to hear about this and keep us up to date on how Tein Handles this situation as far as customer service goes.