Notices
Scion tC 1G Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

KW HLS

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2009, 02:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Location: Living in the Omaha, NE area, traveling all over the continent
Default KW HLS

I just found this while I was researching various coilovers.

Info page: http://www.kw-suspension.com/en/30_P..._HLS/index.php

"With KW HLS, obstacles such as car park entrances, speed blockers and ledges on the road surface are no problem anymore for lowered vehicles or cars with a low ground clearance. The system allows lifting the automobile up to 45 mm."

"The KW HLS INDIVIDUAL KIT is fitted in combination with a coilover suspension. The hydraulic cylinder unit is fitted at the coilover spring struts between spring plate and spring. The HLS cylinder can be fitted to all coilover suspensions for spring systems with a 60 or 61 mm inner diameter."

No search results on SL. Has anyone tried this, or know anything about it?

**EDIT** This too:

Video: http://hls.kwautomotive.de/video.html

As a bonus, the music in the video had me expecting Shaft to come rolling in with his dong flapping in the breeze.

Last edited by Un4Scene; 10-24-2009 at 05:03 PM. Reason: Add more info
Old 10-24-2009, 03:20 PM
SL Member

wow never seen that I know alot of the VW guys use KW, id love these but prob expensive as hell lol
Old 10-24-2009, 04:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hard to say... It's a new product, so they'll probably start the pricing on the low side of what they want for it. It doesn't look like the system is too complicated to manufacture either, although I'd imagine the install would be a huge PITA. On the other hand, they're obviously targeting the most expensive end of the market.

If nothing else, I'd imagine this would be great for show cars.
Old 10-24-2009, 04:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

That looks kind of cool but I highly doubt they would take the time to make if for the tC.

Unless that thing can work with the coilovers they already sell for the tC but that means the price would be pretty high.
Old 10-24-2009, 04:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Kinda like Roberuta
Old 10-24-2009, 04:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by DJ08tC
That looks kind of cool but I highly doubt they would take the time to make if for the tC.

Unless that thing can work with the coilovers they already sell for the tC but that means the price would be pretty high.
Actually, that's what I thought was interesting about it.

"On the one hand, the HLS can be installed in addition to a KW coilover suspension. On the other hand, KW offers an entire HLS solution as a modification kit for serial coilover suspensions which include springs and a hydraulic unit."

I'm not too sure what they mean by "serial", but I would assume the "hydraulic unit" is the strut. Unless they mean the "entire HLS solution" includes new springs and the hydraulic unit is part of the HLS. I'm not sure.

"The HLS cylinder can be fitted to all coilover suspensions for spring systems with a 60 or 61 mm inner diameter. The necessary space for the cylinder unit is 65 mm, if needed this can also be achieved by using shorter springs."

It sounds (and looks) like it can be installed on any coilover unit that it will fit on - although apparently you may have to cut the springs on some units.

The one thing I find odd is that it mounts between the bottom of the spring and the spring perch. It seems to me that just installing it would raise the ride-height up significantly.

Last edited by Un4Scene; 10-24-2009 at 04:58 PM. Reason: I'm a grammar and spelling Nazi
Old 10-24-2009, 04:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well it would probably use small springs to solve that problem. I am not really sure how everything would work. I clicked on the product search thing and they didn't offer it for the tC but I guess that doesn't mean it wouldn't work.
Old 10-24-2009, 05:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Ro_Ja
Kinda like Roberuta
Roberuta info page: http://www.roberuta.com/english/index.html

I'd never heard of that before, but HOLY CRAP is that ridiculously expensive! I bet the build cost for that is less than $200. I noticed, though, that the Roberuta mounts above the spring, and wraps around it. I'm assuming it just pushes off the spring and extends the strut. The HLS looks like it mounts beneath the spring and pushes both the spring and the strut up away from the perch. Two different ways of accomplishing the same thing - increased ride-height - but it doesn't look like the Roberuta increases the ride-height just by being installed.
Old 10-25-2009, 05:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Correct. A friend has the Roberuta kit installed on both of his replica Top Secret Supras and it's an incredibly useful system. You can raise the car for driving, then lower it at the shows or whatever.