Notices
Scion tC 1G Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

KYB Shocks or something else?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2010, 12:36 AM
SL Member

Default KYB Shocks or something else?

I am in the process of purchasing suspension parts for my 08 tC. I have the springs picked out, I am going with H-Techs from TEIN.

I am confused about what shocks and struts to go with for this setup. Any advice at all? I have seen Koni and KYB, but there are several different models available.
Old 11-24-2010, 01:11 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

TRD Shocks are also an option. www.trdsparks.com

Ken
Old 11-24-2010, 03:43 PM
SL Member

Originally Posted by flint_08
I am in the process of purchasing suspension parts for my 08 tC. I have the springs picked out, I am going with H-Techs from TEIN.

I am confused about what shocks and struts to go with for this setup. Any advice at all? I have seen Koni and KYB, but there are several different models available.
Depends on what your goals and needs are. If your looking to just drop the car for street use, and want a smooth slightly sporty ride and don't plan to do any motor sports non-adjustable struts like TRD or KYB-GR2 will be fine.

If you plan to auto-x etc... it might be worthwhile to get adjustable ones like KYB AGX or Koni Yellow.
Old 11-24-2010, 06:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

there are also tokico blues that are good...
Old 11-26-2010, 12:49 AM
SL Member

I do not plan to AutoX in this car, I mainly use it as a daily driver, but I want a more solid feel, and lower stance.

I am not sure I want S-Tech type low though. And I have seen H-Techs in person and really like the stance and level of lowering. I contemplated coilovers, but I can't justify it for my the DD at this point.

So it is between the KYB GR-2 or the Tokico Blues, which are about $100 more than the GR-2's. I am fairly certain about the H-Techs.

Are there any reviews on the STAGG struts off of eBay? They are relatively inexpensive, but I am always weary as to why.
Old 11-27-2010, 04:42 PM
SL Member

Based on your needs I recommend just going for the KYB GR-2 or Tokico blues, it will give a more "solid" feel without making a much harsher ride.

Not sure of the ebay struts but IMO it's taking a risk going for something cheap and on ebay. Chances are it might be OK but it will never be of good quality.
Old 11-28-2010, 09:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

idk about how KYB is sold. But Tokicos u can buy individually, which is really nice when you only blow one strut/shock. That way u don't have to buy all 4 again, you can buy just the one you blew. I know TRDs are only sold as a set.
Old 11-28-2010, 11:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

TRD struts are a good option. TRD struts + H&R springs are a good combo for street use and some AutoX.
Old 12-01-2010, 04:16 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
KAD
SL Member

You have plenty of options, and some of the best value deals out there in my opinion are the Vogtland packages with their springs and Tokico shocks for example.

With the discounted pricing and such, this makes it an excellent choice for the $. $575 for springs and shocks!
http://www.dezod.com/pd-vogtland-non...t-tc-05-10.cfm
Old 07-08-2011, 07:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm thinking going KYB GR2 with H&R or TRD Springs, still need some more feed back for KYB GR2 how long will they last, and will I get about the same feels of OEM/TRD Kit? thanks
Old 07-09-2011, 03:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I just purchased KYB struts with my Eibach springs. I've had them on for about a week now. The combination is a tad bit stiffer than OEM with noticeable improvement in handling. I'm looking into possibly purchasing Eibach's swaybar kit as well sometime in the future.
Old 07-10-2011, 05:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

keep me update later if anything notice changes, anyways how it feels when you driving over a bump does it still feel soft? also are you lowered on Eibach Pro or Extreme?
Old 07-11-2011, 03:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Scionara
SL Member

Default Stagg Gas Struts/Shocks

I just installed a set of Stagg Struts/Shocks and I also have TRD Springs. The ride is really smooth and responsive. I picked up the Stagg set for about $140. Cheap yes but the construction quality was good and I think they are just trying to get their name out. I remember when k2 was selling spring sets for $55 and look at them now. Stagg is a good buy.
Old 07-11-2011, 04:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Nice! how long have you install them? how's the quality made on those any pictures?
Old 07-11-2011, 09:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Sw07tC
keep me update later if anything notice changes, anyways how it feels when you driving over a bump does it still feel soft? also are you lowered on Eibach Pro or Extreme?
I have the KYB Excel-G's with the Eibach Pro-Kit Springs.
Old 07-11-2011, 09:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

KYB GR-2® / Excel-G® are both the same? pretty good deal on those and Stagg, just don't know if I should get it if it just going to blown out within 20k on drop of 1.25-1.4", My OEM+Tien S-Tech blown within 25k, the RL Squeaking withing 15k, I just don't like to replace my suspension like that, too much works and too much to spend. Also hope Tokico Blue will last 80k on that drop?
Old 07-12-2011, 06:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

KYB GR-2® / Excel-G® are both the same? pretty good deal on those and Stagg, just don't know if I should get it if it just going to blown out within 20k on drop of 1.25-1.4", My OEM+Tien S-Tech blown within 25k, the RL Squeaking withing 15k, I just don't like to replace my suspension like that, too much works and too much to spend. Also hope Tokico Blue will last 80k on that drop?
Yes. KYB Excel-G and GR-2 are the same. When I purchased GR-2's off ebay, the seller sent me Excel-G's. I was confused at first and asked the seller and he told me the same thing. I checked KYB's website, and its true, they are both the same. It looks like they started off as GR-2's and they're not renaming them Excel-G because they're going to start marketing them worldwide or something along that line.

I also thought about Stagg shocks when I was doing research on new shock/struts. I did a search on Yahoo and some of the guys on the BMW and Nissan forums have used them with negative outcomes. There was a guy here on Scionlife who had him on his car as well. I emailed him and he said they're still running strong. A lot of people say that Stagg shocks are meant to be used with OEM springs or anything up to a 1.5 inch drop, but I can't say that is a valid statement. I tried to contact Stagg about that statement. Its been about 2 months now and no reply. If you're going to be running Tein S-techs, I suggest you go with the Tokico shock/struts because it seems like they're more of a performance shock made for handling lowering springs.

I have only had the KYB-Eibach Pro combo for about 1 week with about 3-400 miles of driving. The roads here in town as well as the highway are not that great so the bad road conditions are helping out a lot with breaking them in and helping the springs settle. Best of luck with your selection. I'll take pictures later this week. My car's messy right now so I'll take some pictures after I clean her up.

Last edited by 10gxiong; 07-12-2011 at 06:51 AM. Reason: add
Old 07-14-2011, 02:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Scionara
SL Member

Nice! how long have you install them? how's the quality made on those any pictures?
So far my ride is very responsive and very smooth. No issues at all and I am using OBX camber bolts. Now I live in Michigan so these roads are the ultimate test for these dampers. I put at least a 500 miles on them.
Old 07-14-2011, 02:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Scionara
SL Member

The kyb sets are stock replacements. I talked to the techs at KYB and they said handling more than a 1 inch drop will put you in the same position as riding on stock dampers. Cutting the bump stops will help with decreasing the risk of bottoming out. The construction of the Stagg struts weighed less than the stock struts. It made installation a little less strenuous.
Old 07-14-2011, 03:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

So I made a trade with my RL Coilover with TRD Springs/Stocks Shocks may needs to be replace, they has 90k on it, so I'm up to decide either getting the KYB or gamble with Stagg?

Quick Reply: KYB Shocks or something else?