Notices
Scion tC 1G Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

KYB Shocks or something else?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2011, 03:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Scionara
SL Member

Originally Posted by Sw07tC
So I made a trade with my RL Coilover with TRD Springs/Stocks Shocks may needs to be replace, they has 90k on it, so I'm up to decide either getting the KYB or gamble with Stagg?
I would go with either or. KYB is good but your risk being at square one because its only an OEM replacement no really specified for lower ride height where Stagg states that they lowest they go before voiding warranty is 1.5 inches. The KYB techs I talked to say their dampers for our car will most likely bottom out after a 1 in drop. Not saying either is better because stagg is still unknown and the GR-2's are just stock. IMO because I am riding on Stagg now will no problem you would get a little more bang for your buck.
Old 07-14-2011, 04:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Through a few days of researches on these! i see that one guy comment that the STAGG are a little stiffer then KYB, and Tokico are stiffer. I've had my dad's truck Monroe shocks blew withing 6months, and I've replace it with KYB GR-2 more then 2yrs and they still riding like day one! he do toll lumbers and heavy stuff, I'm pretty impressed with KYB GR-2, I Just order another set of KYB GR-2 for my aunt 03 MDX, and just notice KYB GR-2 is Made In Japan!!! and looks really quality built, in the other hand Stagg is Made In China, is another part which throw me off.

Originally Posted by s_rhabb
The KYB techs I talked to say their dampers for our car will most likely bottom out after a 1 in drop.
That's another part which I'm concerning on that KYB will not perform as great when it's lowered, unlike my dad truck and the MDX which is not lower, so I had no worries on it at all, and 100% sure KYB GR-2 will be the best replacement on cars are not lower. I think I'll gonna risk it with KYB anyway seem like the Stock OEM with TRD spring may handle up to 80k, so I think it would be okay.
Old 07-14-2011, 04:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Scionara
SL Member

Through a few days of researches on these! i see that one guy comment that the STAGG are a little stiffer then KYB, and Tokico are stiffer. I've had my dad's truck Monroe shocks blew withing 6months, and I've replace it with KYB GR-2 more then 2yrs and they still riding like day one! he do toll lumbers and heavy stuff, I'm pretty impressed with KYB GR-2, I Just order another set of KYB GR-2 for my aunt 03 MDX, and just notice KYB GR-2 is Made In Japan!!! and looks really quality built, in the other hand Stagg is Made In China, is another part which throw me off.

That's another part which I'm concerning on that KYB will not perform as great when it's lowered, unlike my dad truck and the MDX which is not lower, so I had no worries on it at all, and 100% sure KYB GR-2 will be the best replacement on cars are not lower. I think I'll gonna risk it with KYB anyway seem like the Stock OEM with TRD spring may handle up to 80k, so I think it would be okay.
I dont think you will have a problem. Cut the bump stops in the front to be on the safe side. I went with stagg because my stock dampers were finished and I needed new ones soon but I didnt have enough money for the KYB's. I have my own tools and my alignment is under warrenty so if I had to do it again it wouldn't be a problem. For now my ride feels more then excellent. Stiff enough and smooth for competition road racing but also has a luxury feel comparable to any performance bmw. I know this because my opponents tell me, I beat a 135i hands down.
Old 07-14-2011, 05:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

also during the suspension swap yesterday I notice my rear right shocks 19mm bolt is missing! wondering if anyone know where I can I get that bolt replacement, and what's the thread for it. it's a bit bigger then wheel lugs. I was hoping the wheel lug would fit so I can tight it for temperarely.

gonna try to hit autozone, pepboys, napa auto part first thing after work today hope they have it.

Also wondering it the first tC RS which came with OEM Shocks/TRD if they did had the bump stop cut, or TRD spring do require to have the bump stop cut shorter any idea?
Old 07-14-2011, 05:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Scionara
SL Member

also during the suspension swap yesterday I notice my rear right shocks 19mm bolt is missing! wondering if anyone know where I can I get that bolt replacement, and what's the thread for it. it's a bit bigger then wheel lugs. I was hoping the wheel lug would fit so I can tight it for temperarely.

gonna try to hit autozone, pepboys, napa auto part first thing after work today hope they have it.

Also wondering it the first tC RS which came with OEM Shocks/TRD if they did had the bump stop cut, or TRD spring do require to have the bump stop cut shorter any idea?
Check your local junk yard for that bolt. Its odd why it would be missing, its critical to have it in there or you could loose a wheel or more.

As far as the trd suspension thing, knowing the dealer they probably installed new bump stops all together. The hotchkis spring set comes with shorter poly-urethane bump stops.
Old 07-27-2011, 10:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Scionara
SL Member

Just an update, my suspension is still doing good. I put a little over 2000 miles on so far.