Notices
Scion tC 1G Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

Need coilovers advice

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 04:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Need coilovers advice

i really want coilovers. im lowered with just TRD springs and the ride quality is really bad. looks nice but bad.

im not going below a 2" drop but next time i get new tires im getting 18" rims so i might drop it down to around 2.

on stocks its sticking to 1.5 or even 2 so i dont have to drop it again in the future.

any suggestions on what brand? or even where the best place to get them?

im trying to stay within the $1000 shipped limit.
Old 04-27-2010, 04:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

what do you mean by bad quality?
Old 04-27-2010, 04:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^x2 i love the ride of my trds

but other than that in before everyone says raceland
Old 04-27-2010, 04:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

the rid quality is just bad. the shocks is just isnt design to be driven like that.

about raceland how do they compare to megan coilovers or even H&Rs?

i wouldnt mind going with them (saves a but load of money too)
as long as their smooth.
Old 04-27-2010, 04:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Don't expect smooth OEM ride quality with any coilover. My racelands have been holding up really well. They are definitely stiffer than stock. You will feel the bumps on the road a lot more.
Old 04-27-2010, 05:53 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

You got the wrong impression that coilovers are smoother, or gives a better ride quality. The majority of them are performance oriented so you would probably feel every bit of the road thus throwing away your ride quality. If you want better ride quality, OEM spring/strut is your best bet.
Old 04-27-2010, 06:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by petchara
You got the wrong impression that coilovers are smoother, or gives a better ride quality. The majority of them are performance oriented so you would probably feel every bit of the road thus throwing away your ride quality. If you want better ride quality, OEM spring/strut is your best bet.
if thats the case then i might as well get performance out of it.

im looking at megan coilovers. is there anything i need to know about them?
did some research and seems very promising. but then again im reading off their description and feature list.
Old 04-27-2010, 06:35 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Don't know much about Megan, I think they are fully threaded(not entirely sure), has 32 damping adjustment, and they have about spring rates of 8kg front and 6kg rear and comes with Pillowball mounts. All sounds pretty nice and bang for your buck.

However there alot people who would say Megan coilovers are crap and they tend to go bad. I can't agree or disagree with them because I never had them before, but I'm a pretty gullible person and suspension is something I wouldn't go cheap on. I would buy something else.
Old 04-27-2010, 11:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

the megan coilovers arent bad....

check out Dan at AssulTECH he has great deals on coil overs right now, and he might have some still at special pricing.
Old 04-27-2010, 11:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yeah im waiting for a reply.

i think their nice since i dont have to reuse my oem top hat. and stuff

i dont want to deal with the spring at all.
Old 04-27-2010, 12:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

wat other coilover brand are there that doesnt require oem parts to install?
and under 1000?
Old 04-27-2010, 08:54 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

There is also Progress Coilvers, I've heard nothing but good things about them. You still have use your OEM top Hats though. However I think most distributors don't have them in stock and they are back orders and are all customize made; so takes about 4-8 weeks to get to you.

And there is Buddy Club N+ Coilovers. Haven't heard of anyone rocking these on Scions yet. However the Honda and Acura groups praise it. I've tried ordering those with the optional pillowball mounts, Buddy Club said they have to get the pillowball mounts made and that takes about a couple weeks.

So if you're patient enough and want some quality coilovers for under 1000, I would recommend these to you.
Old 04-27-2010, 10:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

so whats the deal with maintence? whats the life expectency of coilovers? do you have to buy an entire new set in 50,000 miles like typical shocks?
Old 04-28-2010, 12:48 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by jazar07tc
so whats the deal with maintence? whats the life expectency of coilovers? do you have to buy an entire new set in 50,000 miles like typical shocks?
You have to spray them and lube them on a basis, I don't know how often.

And the life expectency. There are people who had coilovers for years and there are people who had coilover that blow on them in matter of weeks. Too many variables. It depends on your road conditions, if there is salt, or pot holes, what you use your coilovers, how well it was installed, how well you take care of them, the list goes on.
Old 04-28-2010, 01:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Coilovers can be rebuilt for a couple of hundred if they do blow out. Depends on the company. Higher end ones should last longer, but the rebuild is still offered.
Old 04-28-2010, 01:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

i've had 5 sets of coil overs and only 1 blew and that was cus i jumped a curb, i have never had a blown strut and each set was driven on its lowest setting.

you dont have to spray or lube them on a basis you just have to make sure they stay some what clean, they are not high maintenance at all
Old 04-28-2010, 01:25 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SL Member

mayebn you should wait for DG/Progress coilovers that dezod is going to offer. If you dont want to wait like davedavetC said contct AssaultTech they have good prices AND contact Tony from MengMotorsprots and compare their prices both good retailers with great service and pricing.
Old 04-28-2010, 02:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Decent coilovers dont need replacing, since the company that makes them will rebuild the dampers. You can send tein dampers back to tein and they will rebuild them for $75 each. Cheap coilovers you are just stuck replacing if they die.

When you lower, you need to raise spring rates, meaning ride quality will suffer. TRDs ride great with stock struts or trd struts. If you think those setups ride harsh, a decent, performance oriented coilover will feel like hell to you. Tein ss-ps have rates that are about 2.5 times higher than stock, and pillowball mounts. All great for handling, not great for ride comfort.

Honestly, if you want decent quality and adjustability, I would go with Progress or Teins (you can get the SS without the pillowball mount and camber plates for closer to $1000). In the world of really great coilovers, they are not considered high up on the list, but those are a lot better than the cheapo ones out there, seem to last well and handle well on this car. And when I say really great, typically non-japanese/chinese made springs are much tighter to spec and of better quality, as well as some of the higher end damper manufacturers. Bilstein, moton and koni make very good dampers, but they dont make coilovers for this car (and the dampers are more than most off the shelf coilover setups for this car). But for the daily driver and some weekend warrior use, the Teins and progress are going to do you well. Dont have any direct experience with Megan, but have heard as much bad as good so it is hard to say.

Some of the cheaper setups have poor threading (issues with remaining tight) cheaper hardware, flimsier perches and have issues with needing lubricating constantly due to squeaks showing up. But a decent set will do just fine. You will want to keep the coilover threads clean, especially before you adjust them.
Old 04-28-2010, 02:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

Dan will beat/meet anyones prices
Old 04-28-2010, 06:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have pro-s0c ... and they work real well for me for my DD. But then again don't expect luxury type feeling where you won't feel any bumps at all...

http://www.tanabe-usa.com/s0c.asp?id=6

Quick Reply: Need coilovers advice