Notices
Scion tC 1G Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

Need coilovers advice

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 07:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have Megan coilovers... had them for more than two years... no problem... and yeah, they ride stiffer than stock, but not unbearable in my opinion... The sacrifice I'm willing to pay for the performance... the car hugs curves as well as a wet t-shirt...

Name:  DSCF2803.jpg
Views: 41
Size:  187.7 KB

...since they have the pillowball mounts, they went in very easily... I don't know if the Racelands have pillowball mounts, but if they do, they'd be a good contender since we hear nothing but good stuff about them on this forum...
Old 04-28-2010, 07:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

From a form >>>>>>> function perspective maybe. And that is all 99% of those running them on SL are looking for or they wouldnt slam it that low to begin with Lot of re-lubing, lots of people having to re-tighten them more than once (points to potentially poor threads and tooling) and a number on that thread already having to replace blown dampers. If you dont drive the car much and just want el-cheapo coilovers to slam the car.. them maybe.

Also, no one knows who makes the dampers, thus you most likely cant get them rebuilt when they go.

They dont come with upper mounts as far as I know

Those are purely "I want to slam my car for cheap" coilovers. Doesnt sound like what he is looking for.

Other than that, due to the reasons above and the track record all over on other cars of RL making low quality products, I wouldnt touch them.

And if you lower the car much and it doesnt feel MUCH stiffer than stock, you have the wrong spring rates for truly good handling. The spring rates on Megan coils are not too bad for handling (they are a lot stiffer than stock, not quite as stiff as Teins, but pretty far up there). Again, they seem to have the right tools for a good set of coilovers, but I have heard both on quality so you may want to check around. Better is if you find someone that has dropped the car properly (preferably no more than 1.4 inches or so, since below that starts hurting handling rather than helping) and has autox'd or tracked them some. That will get you a better idea on them.

Last edited by engifineer; 04-28-2010 at 08:00 PM.
Old 04-28-2010, 08:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Hamster
SL Member

If you want performance go w/ Tein or Progress.

I've driven daily on Tein SSP since 06 or so and they've held up great. If I go on a road trip and it gets too rough I just adjust the damping. ...EDFC is nice.
Old 04-28-2010, 08:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

Eg I've never picked out coil overs for performance. Always about form > function
Old 04-28-2010, 08:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Such a waste then really. Coilovers are supposed to be for corner balancing, adjustability, ease of changing out springs if needed, etc., Not just a way to slam a car.

But unfortunately that is all most use them for.. hence all the cheapo setups on the market I guess.
Old 04-28-2010, 08:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'll admit, it was just about putting it down and slamming it for a good look... mine isn't tracked... the adjustability was more useful to me as historically I tend to load the trunk with a subwoofer (or more) in every ride that I've had... and I like to keep the ride looking level, despite what I put in the back... I loved the way my first car looked after I dropped it on Eibach springs, but then hated it when the back dropped more after putting two subs and an amp in the trunk leaving me with a bad reverse rake. 95% of the time for me, it's All Show, No Go... for others, they may have other priorities...
Old 04-28-2010, 09:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

Well considering my choice of wheels it's not a waste. In your eyes maybe but in mine it'd what I need. I don't track my car but I use all of the adjustments the coil overs offer to help with the wheel fitment.
Old 04-28-2010, 11:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Premium Member

love my function & forms.
Old 04-29-2010, 04:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Yanki01
love my function & forms.
weksos store is near my house im going to see if i can drop by to take a look. maybe he'll give me a deal =)
Old 04-29-2010, 05:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

is raceland coilovers good for tracking?
Old 04-29-2010, 06:09 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by DMC0585
is raceland coilovers good for tracking?
All they are noted for is for slamming, so I highly doubt it.
Old 04-29-2010, 06:44 AM
Scion Apocalypse
SL Member

Originally Posted by Sciontistical_One
I have Megan coilovers... had them for more than two years... no problem... and yeah, they ride stiffer than stock, but not unbearable in my opinion... The sacrifice I'm willing to pay for the performance... the car hugs curves as well as a wet t-shirt...

EPIC!!!!!!!