Notices
Scion tC 1G Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

Need to know if I have a problem or not...

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2012, 10:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Need to know if I have a problem or not...

Hey guys, I have Tein S-techs with about 10K on them. Stock struts too. I noticed just today that when I was getting out of the car, the right rear suspension squeaks when its supressed. I'm positive it hasn't done this before. I went to the passenger side and bounced on the door jam and the right rear squeaked everytime. I was wondering what this meant? or if i have a problem. there is a thread about squeaking but i didn't find much help. i just want to make sure that it isn't a missing bolt or a sign of a blown strut. any info would be great. thanks guys.
Old 01-07-2012, 11:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have 09 tc with trd springs/ stock struts etc and i can hear the suspension sometimes when getting in/out. Dunno if id say everytime but i know ive heard it before. Never really paid much attention to it honestly. But someone more knowledgable on suspension could probably respond better
Old 01-08-2012, 02:02 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Squeak??

Lift up your car or if you can see into the wheel-well where the strut and spring sit. After that, check the strut to see if there is any liquid type substance, mainly lubricant or oil, leaking or staining the strut. Note: you have to look under the black rubber piece covering the internal part.

If you go over bumps, turn the wheel, rock the car (getting in and out of the car) and it squeaks, there is a high chance the strut is bad. You won't really notice any real difference in ride quality except the occasional "squeak" or "thump" since most impact will be absorbed by the other functioning shocks.

Disclaimer: I am no expert but I have installed/inspected/replace many struts and springs on cars and have a general knowledge of them.
Old 01-11-2012, 05:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

just for ha-ha's, try takin out the rear sway bar bushings and apply some white lithium grease. re install them and see if it goes away. i had a squeak in the rear of my car after i installed my trd rear sway bar and it was the bushings.
Old 01-11-2012, 06:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Also check the bottom bushing on the rear strut. I've had a set go bad before and it makes a squeaking noise as well. Just jack the car up and inspect everything you can see, especially rubber bushings, check for cracks and movement. I ended up having some custom Delrin bushings made for my car and I haven't had an issue since. GL