Notices
Scion tC 1G Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

Official Rokkor Tuning Coilovers Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 07:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^ That's true. I always thought RLs would be a great set of back up coils. Or for a weekend car that you don't put plenty of miles on.
Old 08-04-2010, 09:05 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Im going to get a set of RL's and try em out because I like commented before, I dont drive my TC's hard, just DD cruising and detailing mostly
Old 08-05-2010, 12:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Jon
So if they cost $800 but were the exact same design they'd be safer? You can't evaluate something based on it's selling price. I mean if you knew the actual cost of making a set of TRD's for example, I'm willing to bet it's nowhere near $1100.

Criticizing how they're made, however, is a different story.
very very well said jon
Old 08-05-2010, 12:41 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

X2!!! ^^^^
Old 08-05-2010, 03:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

Originally Posted by Jon
So if they cost $800 but were the exact same design they'd be safer? You can't evaluate something based on it's selling price. I mean if you knew the actual cost of making a set of TRD's for example, I'm willing to bet it's nowhere near $1100.

Lol
I take it your a mechanical engineer such as myself. And that you know what it takes to "copy" a design.

So here is the 101

for any company to "copy" any part and sell it at 50%-70% from the normal market price. They must, MUST.....

1. Quick reverse engineering
(a. Time is money , b. Quick = mistakes
2. No r&d
3. While in fab. Components must not be held w/ tight tolerances.
( means. While being made parts could very)
4. Material of parts have to be made out of a (LOW) grade material
(trust me. Put a force test on the coils. I'm will to bet they flex vs. Tge other companies don't. That's SAFE. Ok!!!!)
5. Assem'y of all the parts must have low labor and quick turn around.
(low wages= unhappy employees, quick= human errors)

You need every one of those key factors to compete at those $$$$$$$
at that low your not spending money on a good engineer, tooling to make the parts, welders, material. You just can't
when you pend the money to do it right the cost gets put into the final product. Such as greddy, progress, f&f , blah blah blah.

And honestly you just take one of those factors, say cheap/ weak material. Idk. Knowing that the springs that's in my coils were made for about $3-$5 ea (vs. About $25 ea) that makes you feel safe doesn't.

I look at everything from a manfacturing/ production stand point
So yes. You can judge almost everything you buy by the price.
There is very few times in my world you you get lucky and a CHEAP OK product. And this (rl) is not one of them.

Again. I have and love my progress coils. And really could care less what people have, Im not the one that has to hold that grenade and hope the pin doesn't get pulled.
Old 08-05-2010, 05:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^Thanks for the input.

Still getting a set and I will let everyone know my review on them.
Old 08-05-2010, 02:11 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

so from your reviews "against" these Coilovers, Im thinking you spit out the money to buy super expensive Coilovers "Game-Over"?.....Oh Effin well!! Im buying these! You know more than 50% of products that usually cost more than a a**full of cash usually end up breaking before their cheaper competitors, IDK how that stacks up against these Coilovers, but Im willing to give them a shot, and if they f**k up, then oh well, I will just get another set LMAO!
Old 08-05-2010, 02:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

great thought process...
Old 08-05-2010, 02:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

Originally Posted by Skittle
so from your reviews "against" these Coilovers, Im thinking you spit out the money to buy super expensive Coilovers "Game-Over"?.....Oh Effin well!! Im buying these! You know more than 50% of products that usually cost more than a a**full of cash usually end up breaking before their cheaper competitors, IDK how that stacks up against these Coilovers, but Im willing to give them a shot, and if they f**k up, then oh well, I will just get another set LMAO!
and no... i bought my coils for a very good price, so they weren't "super expensive"

and your stat at 50 % is wrong....
so your sayn... for every 1 sets of "high end" coils that fail, only 2 RL fails.... your silly. and if you want to take the chance to let them fail and have to buy a new set and re-install them... that just seems really stupid. imo

Last edited by game-over; 08-05-2010 at 02:54 PM.
Old 08-05-2010, 02:55 PM
Jon
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by game-over
Lol
I take it your a mechanical engineer such as myself. And that you know what it takes to "copy" a design.

So here is the 101

for any company to "copy" any part and sell it at 50%-70% from the normal market price. They must, MUST.....

1. Quick reverse engineering
(a. Time is money , b. Quick = mistakes
2. No r&d
3. While in fab. Components must not be held w/ tight tolerances.
( means. While being made parts could very)
4. Material of parts have to be made out of a (LOW) grade material
(trust me. Put a force test on the coils. I'm will to bet they flex vs. Tge other companies don't. That's SAFE. Ok!!!!)
5. Assem'y of all the parts must have low labor and quick turn around.
(low wages= unhappy employees, quick= human errors)

You need every one of those key factors to compete at those $$$$$$$
at that low your not spending money on a good engineer, tooling to make the parts, welders, material. You just can't
when you pend the money to do it right the cost gets put into the final product. Such as greddy, progress, f&f , blah blah blah.

And honestly you just take one of those factors, say cheap/ weak material. Idk. Knowing that the springs that's in my coils were made for about $3-$5 ea (vs. About $25 ea) that makes you feel safe doesn't.

I look at everything from a manfacturing/ production stand point
So yes. You can judge almost everything you buy by the price.
There is very few times in my world you you get lucky and a CHEAP OK product. And this (rl) is not one of them.

Again. I have and love my progress coils. And really could care less what people have, Im not the one that has to hold that grenade and hope the pin doesn't get pulled.
You need to check your reading comprehension before you try and jump at me, dude. All I said was that putting an $800 price tag on these coils would not make them safer or of a higher quality. And that actual production cost of higher end coils is not what makes them safer. Rather it's the method and materials used in their production. I've installed a set of Racelands before so I know how thin the metal is compared to Teins, for example, which is another brand I've had experience installing.

Apparently you chose to ignore it the first time so I'll quote this again:

So I'm not sure what in the hell you're trying to argue with me about.
Old 08-05-2010, 02:56 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks! LOL How did this RT coilover thread become a continuation of the RL thread??? Thats funny
Old 08-05-2010, 05:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If they break, you can still buy like 10 sets before you reach the price of the higher end Coils.
Old 08-05-2010, 08:45 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Yay Jaw Knee
If they break, you can still buy like 10 sets before you reach the price of the higher end Coils.

thats what I am saying, but I guess theres some people out there that would buy 10 sets of Coilovers that run them 800-1500 a set, instead of getting the cheaper ones that might not be brand name but still work just as well. Its like me at my job, I am a Pharmacy Technician for CVS/Pharmacy. I fill everybodys meds with generic medications bc for one the brand names are 2-3 times the amount for brand name, and for two, they work a hell of a lot better. But I am sure someone will chime in and say that is'nt the case with Coilovers LMAO.
Old 08-05-2010, 08:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

jon...
you are right.. i did not see the bottom of the post and i am sorry...
Old 08-05-2010, 09:00 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

regardless of the fact of whether or not what CO's are better, we still need to have someone try these RT's out LOL
Old 08-05-2010, 09:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

regardless of the fact of whether or not what CO's are better, we still need to have someone try these RT's out LOL

i agree...... i even think for the price you could buy these and swap some components out and make it a better unit for less than $450-$500
Old 08-05-2010, 09:34 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

do you really think that the high end coils break that much....
they dont sorry to tell you ...

^^^^^
your in this thread talking like you know something about coils when you clearly don't.....

No I am not talking like I know about Coils, I have never owned Coilovers and are trying to learn more and more and which ones are better for first timers regarding Coilovers. I really do not appreciate your unwillingness to cooperate, when all your doing is bashing the hell outta everybodys comments!! What coilovers do you own, might I ask? Im trying to fully understand the suspension capabilites of the TC, because switching back to back from my SRT is a big difference in setups regarding motor capabilites and suspension setups. Coming from a highly boosted car to a N/A car is a big-a** difference LMAO
Old 08-05-2010, 10:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

No I am not talking like I know about Coils, I have never owned Coilovers and are trying to learn more and more and which ones are better for first timers regarding Coilovers. I really do not appreciate your unwillingness to cooperate, when all your doing is bashing the hell outta everybodys comments!! What coilovers do you own, might I ask? Im trying to fully understand the suspension capabilites of the TC, because switching back to back from my SRT is a big difference in setups regarding motor capabilites and suspension setups. Coming from a highly boosted car to a N/A car is a big-a** difference LMAO

bro.. i deleted my comments for a reason.... i'm not tryn to bash someone over a opinion...... hense the deleted post... .

i have progress coilovers..
again.. i am gonna let it go..
to each his own... i went thru that phase once... lol
Old 08-05-2010, 10:40 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

i agree...... i even think for the price you could buy these and swap some components out and make it a better unit for less than $450-$500
I did not see this comment bro, but Yeah I agree to each his own. So what ever happened to the guy who created this thread ?? J/K J/K
Old 08-06-2010, 06:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

A little late to respond in some of these posts. But seriously? If they break, they'll cost less to replace? You're going to be replacing more than just coilovers, running the risk of spending more than they "bargained" for.