Notices
Scion tC 1G Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

Pothole (front end)

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2008, 06:11 AM
SL Member

Default Pothole (front end)

Has anyone hit a pothole and heard a really loud bang? This happened to me, I had a minor tear in my tire and my light went on. I was able to drive it home ( I was only a minute away or so). Tire went completely flat after I parked. Anyways I brought it to a dealership, and they said the rim was fine, I also asked them to check the front end for any damage. They said there wasn't any visible damage. They also did an alignment.

Car seems to be driving fine now. Maybe I little different feel to the steering, (maybe it is in my head) Anyways, I was wondering what I should be looking for as far as any other damage. Can problems arise in the future b/c of this?

Here is a pic of the pothole. I was going about 35-40 when I hit it. It was at night so it was dark and hard to see.

Old 04-19-2008, 09:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i hit a pothole here in SF at about 30mph...went to get an alignment and found out the front left wheel was 3 degrees off. replaced the lower control arm and no change, still off. i don't know what's bent or pushed back on my car....but it still drives straight, so i'm not that concerened

if the car drives fine, i wouldn't be too worried, if not go after the city for the repair bill
Old 04-19-2008, 09:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yeah i totally bent the core support. i was goin about 60ish and ran a red. on the other side of the light was a nice dip, one that id normally go about 15 over.
Old 04-19-2008, 04:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scion Evolution

Believe it or not you can actually file a claim (not a lawsuit) against the city/state if your car was damaged because of a pothole. So far I know New York City; Cleveland, Oh; State of Michigan DOT...I'm sure there are others. I know Los Angeles has that too (as of 4 yrs ago) but not sure anymore (budget deficits?). So contact your cityhall for their claims procedures/policies, if any.
Old 05-03-2008, 06:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by jurassic1
Believe it or not you can actually file a claim (not a lawsuit) against the city/state if your car was damaged because of a pothole. So far I know New York City; Cleveland, Oh; State of Michigan DOT...I'm sure there are others. I know Los Angeles has that too (as of 4 yrs ago) but not sure anymore (budget deficits?). So contact your cityhall for their claims procedures/policies, if any.
thats good to know.
Old 05-03-2008, 07:12 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

haha, yes, you can always file a claim, of course, how promptly it's tossed out is up to your local officials
Old 05-04-2008, 04:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

about a year and a half ago when my mom had her 05 benz e450 4matic i took it out for a spin since it only had 4,000 miles on it.....(we never used the damn thing) and of coarse i had to fall into this HUGE pothole and bent the front passenger side AMG rim .......thank god my mom wasnt mad at me.... but she was ____SSSSSED......we made a claim and we had to pay the deductable and what not but we got all of our money back b/c the NJDOT paid us back for it......it wasnt a long process but im glad its over and done with.....