Notices
Scion tC 1G Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

Reducing body roll without the use of sway bars

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2007, 03:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by 06SuperWhite_SoCal_tC
I have noticed Oversteer a couple times when I have pushed the tC to its limits. You can just feel the rear of the car ever so slightly sliding outwards, then let off the gas and it comes back into control.
if you feel your rear end coming loose, do not take your foot of the gas, keep your foot steady or push it harder, taking your foot of the gas is possible the worst thing you can do because your transfering the weight from your rear to the front when you let off,and this will only let the rear slide much easier.

also, if your only getting a rear sway bar, try getting the thickest one made, every mm counts when you are considering the diameter,

take this for example, a 4.0 earthquake, and a 5.0 is different by the thousandths.

a 25.4mm(1inch) sway bar on the softest setting will be much more stiff then a 22mm sway bar on the stiffest setting.

just some food for thought.
Old 03-07-2007, 03:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

does anyone just sell the front sway?
Old 03-07-2007, 03:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Getting the thickest rear possible is not good advice at all. If the rear is too thick in relation to the front you will be promoting terrible oversteer.

The same goes with getting only the front. You will make the car understeer worse (I cant see why you would want to do this)

If you get a rear only, dont go stiffer than the TRD. If you want to get more agressive than that you really need to get a set (front and rear) that are made to work with each other. The idea is to balance out the handling, not go too far one way or the other.
Old 03-07-2007, 03:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

And 99% of all "snap oversteer" is due to driver error. And you dont lift the throttle to bring the rear back in on any car. You modulate the throttle, many times giving it more throttle. Simply lifting the throttle is never good on any type of car. Even on RWD, you will either make the car oversteer worse or cause a massive overcorrection when it snaps back around.
Old 03-07-2007, 06:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default body roll

For those who have the Progress Rear sway bar....what setting do you guys have it on?? I am currently on the Middle setting..I like it and all but I might change it to the stiffest setting...I'm a little skeptical because people have said making the rear stiff and not having anything on the front is a bad idea. I ONLY have the progress rear sway bar... no front sway bar...what do u guys think I should do??
Old 03-08-2007, 03:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by engifineer
Getting the thickest rear possible is not good advice at all. If the rear is too thick in relation to the front you will be promoting terrible oversteer.

The same goes with getting only the front. You will make the car understeer worse (I cant see why you would want to do this)

If you get a rear only, dont go stiffer than the TRD. If you want to get more agressive than that you really need to get a set (front and rear) that are made to work with each other. The idea is to balance out the handling, not go too far one way or the other.
SCCA rules front sway for HS class only.
Old 03-09-2007, 02:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Thats fine.. but I would rather deal with running a different class and harder competition than make my car understeer like a **** by only adding a front sway. You would probably be better off stock there.
Old 03-09-2007, 12:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

woah woah woah, wait a minute there, somebody said FRONT sway bar for HS class only, I sure hope that was a mis-type, and I'm surprised engifineer didn't catch that one, but understandably.

the rear sway bar (TRD ONLY) is allowable in H-Stock due to the fact that you can order the car from the factory with the part installed, the front sway bar is only available via aftermarket, therefore will put you up to STS class.

The TRD rear sway is a leg-up on the competition, as there are only a proud few who can add suspension modifications and keep it in stock classes without buying a fully modified version of a car from the factory and taking a jump up a class with a special designation of a car (like mazdaspeed, evo, sti, etc)

If you have the progress rear sway bar, I would call that done as it is the same thickness as the TRD rear sway bar (22mm)

also, I would try setting it on the stiffest setting and see how it reacts, but i would recommend taking it to a closed parking lot to toss around the car so you don't put yourself in a dangerous situation you don't know how to control.

For reference, when I had the TRD sway bar, it was on the stiffest setting without a front sway bar, and the car had SLIGHT oversteer, enough for my tastes. I installed the Hotchkis rear sway bar (27mm) , and even on the SOFTEST setting, there was way too much oversteer, dangerously in fact, and when I installed the front hotchkis sway (24mm) and put that on the softest setting, I could put the rear on medium setting and again, I was back at slight, controlled oversteer, but with MUCH less body-roll and much tighter turn-in response than with the rear TRD rear bar alone.
Old 03-10-2007, 05:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Wouldn't Tein Basics at a -1.5in drop, front and rear strut bars and Hotchkis f/r on the stiffest setting for both be a decent setup?
Old 03-10-2007, 05:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

so yeah, is not making any turns what so ever an option?

but seriously

for as inexpensive as sway bars are they make a big difference
Old 03-10-2007, 03:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Sure do. THE most noticeable mod on this car short of a turbo IMO. Good tires would be a close tie I think considering the stock tires.
Old 03-10-2007, 04:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by atodak
Wouldn't Tein Basics at a -1.5in drop, front and rear strut bars and Hotchkis f/r on the stiffest setting for both be a decent setup?
No. I actually plan on the exact same setup (minus the rear strut bar, my amp's power wire is in the way) and if you run both sways on stiffest settings, you're going to wrap yourself around a tree in no time. Front bar should be softest setting, rear medium.
Old 03-10-2007, 04:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

the project tC in sportcompact car had a similar setup on the stiffest for front and rear..........?
http://www.sportcompactcarweb.com/pr...roll_bars.html
Old 03-10-2007, 04:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

I dont know how the hotchkis is setup. But you really need to take it out and test it rather than simply assuming that you will wrap it around a tree on a particular setting. Again, you want to balance it out. I prefer it to lean more towards oversteer a little rather than understeer.
Old 03-10-2007, 07:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

That assumption was made largely on what i've gathered on reading this section of the forum - that the rear should be set stiffer than the front for optimum street performance. What I consider optimum is the tires staying on the pavement.
Old 03-10-2007, 07:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hey, what if you've got a stock sway bar setup and just disconnect the front sways?

I imagine it'd be a bit more unsafe than running without your rear bar connected.
Old 03-10-2007, 07:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

I think you would have some pretty bad oversteer with that setup.

Zeb,
The setup you mentioned may work, I was just adding that you should always take it out and drive it to ensure you are on the proper setting for your driving needs.
Old 03-12-2007, 03:39 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: reducing body roll

Originally Posted by stCx86
does any one here have hotchkis sway bars ? are they any good ?

I'm thinking just the rear but im the type of person who likes to have things like this in pairs ..mite as well go front and rear...will i notice a significant difference with both on rather then just one?
I have the hotchkis set on my 07 and i am VERY happy with them. I use my car for daily driving and these work very well even just for fun around the bends....

You will definately notice a bid difference with those sways... I am like you and like things in sets. I say if Im gonna do upgrades, then gotta do it right. I also run with s-techs and my tc handles almost as well as my x's stock 350z

You will not be able to go with Hotchkis rear only... if you look around, you will see that you can only buy Hotchkis in the set because the rear is too stiff for the tc to handle properly without the hotchkis front sway. Even weight distribution will not exist, causing oversteer.

If you are looking into rear only, then trd is one of the most recommneded....
Old 03-12-2007, 03:42 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by kungpaosamuraiii
Hey, what if you've got a stock sway bar setup and just disconnect the front sways?

I imagine it'd be a bit more unsafe than running without your rear bar connected.
WTF..... you'd not only have massive oversteer, but you would likely wreck your car from it not being able to support the weight distribution.....
Old 03-12-2007, 11:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Chill dude. It's not something I plan on doing. Cars don't need their sway bars as the sways only really redirect some weight. The front bar in the tC is pretty thick for a stock bar so taking it out is probably going to be worse than a simple bad idea. As far as not being able to support the weight distribution, do you mean the car would likely flip or what? Or spin out from really bad oversteer? I think the car would start to slide well before there's a real danger of flipping over, assuming stock tires. That little bit scares me the most though because there've been oversteer spinouts on stock untouched tCs.

So chill dude, it was just a thought exercise.

Quick Reply: Reducing body roll without the use of sway bars