Notices
Scion tC 1G Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

Review-TRD Spring & Sway vs TRD Spring, Shock & Hotc

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2005, 05:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Review-TRD Spring & Sway vs TRD Spring, Shock & Hotc

I recently traded in my 05 TC with TRD Springs and TRD Rear Sway bar. Now my 06 is equiped with TRD Springs, Shocks, and Hotchkis Front and Rear sway bars. Both had the same tires and wheels, HP EVO 18s + Pzero Nero M&S. Since I don't have any numbers from a track I am just going to give my opinion on how things have changed.

My Review -

05 - My IIP Rode a lot like stock with this setup going down the road, but in the corners and under braking and acceleration it was definitely not stock. I compare it to how I would expect most moderetly priced sport coupes to feel from the factory. Stiff yet compliant and fairly quick in the corners. This is the setup the TC should come with from the factory, no questions about it. No one would complain about it. If they thought it was to firm, they need to buy a town car, not a sports coupe. The gripe from me is that the front end still leaned when I hit the corners fast, or when I was doing a down hill run. The front sway bar was not stiff enough to work against gravity, car weight, and the force applied by the corner. However, going up hill it was great. All in all, for the money this is an amazing investment.

06 - This setup defines sports car handling, made for the road or the track. The added TRD shocks have a varible valve in them to adjust the dampening forces depending on the situation, and if you've drove both for a while you can tell. The TRD shocks are some how stiffer yet more compliant at the same time. Harsh roads where it's a bit torn up is smoother then with just TRD Springs. Yet the big bumps that make your car go up and then come back down (or vise versa) are quickly met with stiffer force to keep the car flat and under control. Hard to explain.

The Hotchkis sway bars are simply amazing. The difference is night and day. The front end has no more lean to it, and the car remains completely flat. The ride is a bit stiffer now because if you hit a bump on the right side it is transferred just slightly to the left. This causes the car to 'shimmy/wiggle', but not excessively at all and mainly is only noticable under slow speeds (20-25mph). Since the car was stock in the front before, I notice it a bit more now then it did before. I have the bar's set to hole 2 on the front and rear, so they can be lightened a bit. The steering rack has become slightly stiffer, but that is completely fine with me. I hate light steering. And turn in is very nice and predictable.
Old 12-05-2005, 05:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Scion Evolution

nice review but the only real difference here is the sways

the shocks did add to performance but not much. many people will say otherwise but i've ridden in cars wit the TRD shocks and they are weak shocks. only thing benefical about them is they have the ability to withstand more abuse than the stock shocks.

but ur ride being a lil flat and steering a lil tight... you might experience understeer. just a heads up
Old 12-05-2005, 06:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I don't think so, the shocks are definately noticible. I had my 05 for 20k miles and drove the twisties 85% of the time to and from work because going over the Portland Hills is faster then rush hour down the hwy. So far these shocks are worth the money to me. The rides responsiveness to road abnormalities is definately quicker then it was with the stock shocks.

I pushed my car up hill into a 20mph corner, which most people take at 25-30 max and it didn't understeer (I was waiting for it or oversteer tho). I entered it around 40 and exited at 45 and it was just begining to drift a bit, it was wet too.

I drove the tail happy MR2 Turbo for 4-5 years, and my perfectly balanced CRX for 8 years with slight understeer/four wheel drift while under power, and I definately prefer the understeer/four wheel drift instead of oversteer.

If I get the chance to push it hard again I'll let you know if it exhibts anything other then a four wheel drift like it did this morning.
Old 12-07-2005, 10:46 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks for the review. I was about to start my own post but I found yours. I am still deciding on whether to just get the TRD rear strut bar or the Hotchkis set for front and rear. I am undecided because it looks like thats a good deal right now for both front and rear, but im not sure if they are really ideal for me. because i do not take my car to the track, just daily spirited driving. I will also be putting on my 19's soon so im not sure if i still would want the hotchkis because i'd be driving more cautiously with my new rims. What would you recommend ?

BTW. I do have the TRD springs and shocks installed already too.
Old 12-08-2005, 12:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

For street the TRD sway bar is great, but on the track it is a little on the weak side. I wrote a reveiw of my expereince with the TRD setup on the track here: https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=93847

I am defenitely considering the Hotchkis sways before I go again. it wasnt bad, but there was a little more body roll than I would have liked which made transitions a little slow, but the car is very balanced and controllable at speed. I have nothing but good things to say about the full TRD setup.
Old 12-12-2005, 09:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ok so does the Hotchkis rub and make popping noises according to alot of other post stating that they broke endlinks and stuff since it was too stiff.
Old 12-12-2005, 11:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

No noises, rubbing, etc... everything has been great so far.
Old 12-14-2005, 08:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Just a update. I still love this setup, turn in is just damn amazing. I was crusing the back roads on my way shopping yesterday and found myself doing 75mph and not even noticing it. This setup is soooo smooth that the speed's disappear. So I write this as a warning as well as a props. Because you will find yourself flying around corners a lot faster then with just a TRD Sway bar on... Trust me, I've had both.

Oh, and now I am thinking I need some sport buckets, because these seats suck when you have this much suspension goodness!!!!
Old 12-14-2005, 08:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by apexjr
Oh, and now I am thinking I need some sport buckets, because these seats suck when you have this much suspension goodness!!!!
I agree..the seats have no where near enough support for "spirited" driving.
Old 12-14-2005, 08:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scion Society
SL Member

Having the TRD shocks/struts, springs, and hotchkis sway bars I'm gonna have to agree with apex about needing new seats that hug better... but I'd rather have my side impact/bolster air bag comfort bankie.
Old 12-17-2005, 12:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

APEXjr <------ do you have a strut brace ? I have the TRD- struts, springs and rear sway bar.. and I was still tired of the front end swaying too much.. Needless to say.. I bought the Hotchkis strut brace and I noticed a big diffrence. I thought it was all hype but seriously this car should have come with one... yeah it still sways a little in the front but not like before.. I am considering the rear strut brace too..
oh yeah what is your tire psi ?
Old 12-18-2005, 08:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

No I don't have a brace, I can't see why I would need one with my setup. I might get one, but more for show. My car doesn't sway at all anymore, corners like 90-95% flat under most street driving, only rarely do I ever get a hint of body roll.

I have PZero Nero's with the front's set to around 40ish and 38 in the rear. I have a lot of drag going down the road, (rolling resistance) and I don't know if it is because at 40 I have more tread on the ground then I did at 32... but I do know that at 32 I was getting bad wear. The tires were wearing on the inside and outside faster then the middle which says they were under inflatted. My MPG has suffered a lot with this more PSI. I'm a bit baffled. I will be swapping out my rims at the begining of the year with the stocks ones again to see if the MPG loss is infact the rolling resistance I am feeling or the intake I added.
Old 12-19-2005, 12:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

how hard is the front sway bar to install?
Old 12-20-2005, 02:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

nice review,, just bought trd rear sway bar and trd springs and can't wait to install em when it warms up down here
Old 12-21-2005, 08:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i love the trd sway compared to stock, that was one of the first things i did to my car...it was needed
Old 12-22-2005, 04:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scion Society
SL Member

The front sway bar is a pain to install But not too difficult if you have a good jack and jack stands. or a Lift
Old 12-24-2005, 03:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

good stuff