Notices
Scion tC 1G Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

Scion tC Coilover Info Chart

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2008, 04:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by tCeeder
np!

yeah, i'm upgrading to CO's soon and am stuck between H&R and Progress CS1. after searching a good bit, it seems both are very close in terms of ride quality and it just comes down to personal preferance. i read nothing but good things for both each of them on the TC, whereas the Teins feel like you're riding the flintstones mobile.
still kinda new: what does "np" mean?

I just installed hotchkis spring and TRD struts today. My first major mod other the my Fujita CAI. I'm excited and can't wait to drive it some more!
Old 03-30-2008, 04:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

np = no problem

congrats on the suspension setup, i checked out your ride. your next mod should definitely be a rear sway bar - you'll love it
Old 03-30-2008, 04:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

np = no problem

congrats on the suspension setup, i checked out your ride. your next mod should definitely be a rear sway bar - you'll love it
Yeah ... really wanted to do go step by step. The springs and struts I felt really need to be done together. I think that I'll do a front tower bar first since that makes the smallest difference and then if I feel is still needs it I'll do the hotchkis front and back. From what I have heard doing just the back can be dangerious and create .... I think it was over steering since the front is loose compare the back
Old 03-30-2008, 04:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

Originally Posted by ddplion
np!

yeah, i'm upgrading to CO's soon and am stuck between H&R and Progress CS1. after searching a good bit, it seems both are very close in terms of ride quality and it just comes down to personal preferance. i read nothing but good things for both each of them on the TC, whereas the Teins feel like you're riding the flintstones mobile.
still kinda new: what does "np" mean?

I just installed hotchkis spring and TRD struts today. My first major mod other the my Fujita CAI. I'm excited and can't wait to drive it some more!
yea congrats on that dave. steve and i had a lot of fun helping you out today :D

the bud light was the best part! :D :D
Old 03-30-2008, 04:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

p.s. sorry about the dirrty finger prints, im glad steve had something to whipe them up quickly. im used to working on my own car
Old 03-30-2008, 04:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by davedavetC
p.s. sorry about the dirrty finger prints, im glad steve had something to whipe them up quickly. im used to working on my own car
not a problem dave. I appreciate all the help. I'm still amazed at how nice and helpful you guys are. I know steve a little and really just getting to know you. Both you guys really jump right in and get to work. I feel kinda a silly and use less just standing there. Feel bad but I know that I don't know what to do and would just get in the way so I watch and learn and try to ask too many questions but still get up to speed.

I praised you guys in the hotchkis thread!
Old 03-30-2008, 04:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

it was a learning experience for all of us!

you learned the basics of the suspension. steve learned hes not too old to break some bolts loose, and i learned that steves house is EXACTLY alike my girlfriends house that was really creepy...
Old 03-30-2008, 04:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

also, you can never ask too many questions. all the questions you asked where the right ones.
Old 03-30-2008, 03:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ddplion
np = no problem

Yeah ... really wanted to do go step by step. The springs and struts I felt really need to be done together. I think that I'll do a front tower bar first since that makes the smallest difference and then if I feel is still needs it I'll do the hotchkis front and back. From what I have heard doing just the back can be dangerious and create .... I think it was over steering since the front is loose compare the back
actually from the factory the tc is very tight as it is up front, but suffers from too much understeer which is resolved with a rear sway bar. adding a front strut bar won't gain you much of anything aside from some bling under the engine bay.
Old 03-30-2008, 03:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

he meant if you just add the hotchkis rear sway bar. its dangerous, then the rear is way to stiff compared to the front. thats why they sell the set and dont offer them seperate.
Old 03-30-2008, 04:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^ err, yeah i read that wrong. i havent eaten breakfast yet /nod
Old 03-30-2008, 04:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

the tein basics aren't damper adjustable...unless i'm missing something
Old 04-01-2008, 02:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by davedavetC
he meant if you just add the hotchkis rear sway bar. its dangerous, then the rear is way to stiff compared to the front. thats why they sell the set and dont offer them seperate.
thanx. you are top of everything. I wasn't sure if I had said that right anyway and as you know know took it straight from you .... so, of course I give you credit.

I really have not driven it since I got home on saturday. Gonna run some errands today ... looking forward to it.

As for the front strut tower bar: I keep hearing that it really doesn't do very much but look nice under the hood. I'm really just learning but my deductive reasoning skills with very little almost no knowledge told me that a bar at the top of the tower couldn't do much. Those two points really can't go anywhere anyway. I can see that they are in kind of a rubber "boot" but there are 3 bolts holding them inplace. I know that having the two end points connected and stiffened up will make a a small difference but not too much. Now the bars in the front and back that run under the car to stabalize and link the two end points of the suspension where it connects to the tires .... now there is a place where an impact can be made.

Does that all make sense and should I even consider getting a front strut tower brace?

Looks are great but something that is designed for a purpose but then is really just for looks.... that just seems silly to me. Like sticking those BMW are vent looking things to your car. Rediculious. If you're doing a mod for looks then focus on looks and if you can get a little function out of it ... great. If you are doing a mod for funcitons then focus on what your trying to accomplish and then make it look nice at the same time .... but then the "prettiness" of it is secondary.

there is my .50 on that...
Old 04-01-2008, 02:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

yea dave, you wont notice a big difference with the strut bar because the struts are placed close tot he firewall therefore they are already pretty much connected.

the sways will provide the biggest increase in performance by putting a stronger stiffer bar there which stiffens up the suspension and provides just enough over and understeer to carve those corners
Old 04-01-2008, 02:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

dont bother with a strut bar, i just sold mine =p
Old 04-01-2008, 09:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

thanx for verifiing that Dave