Notices
Scion tC 1G Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

So I installed my TRD sway bar tonight... HOLY $@%&a

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2007, 03:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: So I installed my TRD sway bar tonight... HOLY $

Originally Posted by smakusdod
It almost feels like the car is 'squatting' now... if you know what i mean. At any rate, holy smoke, what a difference!
your review has definately encouraged me to put mine on the car (mine has been sitting in the garage for months! )
This 'squating' youre feeling, it's kind of doing what it's supposed to do. In hard cornering, 1 side of the car will be higher than the other... hence "roll". With the bar, it connects both sides so both sides will remain more planted compared to 1 side planted 1 side lifted.
Old 03-04-2007, 03:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

too bad i dont own a tc!!
Old 03-04-2007, 03:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

I'm contemplating gettin one myself, glad I read this!
Old 03-05-2007, 03:12 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by dungu
do you guys know what size of torque wrench i should get?

all i found is 3/8 and 1/2 in my local area.
that refers to the size of sockets you have... you'll need a 14 mm socket, for your torque wrench. Most sockets are 3/8ths... but you can always take in your socket set to see if it fits whatever wrench you are looking at.
Old 03-05-2007, 08:28 PM
Lev
5 Year Member
SL Member

hey guys quick newbe question

my car is completly stock when it comes to suspension but i still ove going to the canyons and having fun. i want to get coilovers but i cant rly handle the drop because i almost scrape my car everymorning getting out of my driveway..... neway i am planing on getting struts and a trd sway bar but my question is since i have stock suspension will it be pointless for me to get the sway bar someone at my work said it wont make a difference unless i have coilovers =/

thanks for the help btw i wana get my trd sway like 2morrow ;)
Old 03-05-2007, 09:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Lev
hey guys quick newbe question

my car is completly stock when it comes to suspension but i still ove going to the canyons and having fun. i want to get coilovers but i cant rly handle the drop because i almost scrape my car everymorning getting out of my driveway..... neway i am planing on getting struts and a trd sway bar but my question is since i have stock suspension will it be pointless for me to get the sway bar someone at my work said it wont make a difference unless i have coilovers =/

thanks for the help btw i wana get my trd sway like 2morrow ;)
your friend is incorrect. you will feel a difference with just the rear sway, if you like going around corners quickly that is. If you already tested your stock suspension setup in the mountains, this will give you a good starting point. from there you can decide what you want to do with your suspension setup. I.E. if you like the car to have neutral feeling, mild oversteer etc. it is also possible to make your car have more understeer via larger front sway bar with stock rear sway, but who wants MORE understeer???

coilovers are height adjustable, but since you say you're already having trouble with your driveway already. it could be out of the question. some coilovers have settings for factory ride height and lower, but other manufacturers, the highest ride height is still lower than factory height. height adjustments for coilovers will vary from manufacturer to manufacturer, as well spring rates and dampening adjustments

just curious, but how steep is your driveway? it must steep as hell for you to scrape your bumper with your stock ride height.
Old 03-05-2007, 09:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

you'll still feel a difference.... it's still part of the suspension. Even keeping stock springs w/ aftermarket struts would help!
How about tires?
Old 03-05-2007, 09:32 PM
Lev
5 Year Member
SL Member

wow thanks a lot guys u guys rly helped me out fast............ my drive way isnt that steep but it always has traffic and the angle is retarded so i dont have much time to go in slowly.......... and i don t scrape my car much only when i have more than 2 people sitting in it or my dad (250 lbs) ......... and for tires im thinking about getting flaken or yokos but im not sure yet.......... but thanks alot guys u r a real help ;)
Old 03-05-2007, 09:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

any specific falken or yokohama tire model?
Old 03-05-2007, 09:47 PM
Lev
5 Year Member
SL Member

honestly i cant spell it............

but i think its the flaken zeanes lol

but wat do u recommend for some nice summer tires for the canyons.......... but also something for a bit of harsh weather since i live in LA
Old 03-05-2007, 10:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

this one?

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/di...r=45&tc=MTAHZI

I personally haven't tried these tires yet, so i can't give you my opinion on them, but have ran the hankook r-s2's on the tc as well as the bfgoodrich g-force sports

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/di...r=45&tc=MTAHZI
http://www.discounttiredirect.com/di...47&rd=17&ar=45

here are my opinions of them in relation to the oem bridgestones. Oem tires i ran from new to 20Kmiles, hankook i ran from 20K to roughly 38K miles, then the gforce sports from 38k to 54K miles.

dry straight line grip
R-S2s>gforce sports>oem
the R-S2's simply just have more grip then oem and gforce sports.

dry cornering
R-S2s>gforce sports>oem
the R-S2's have a very predictable tire. you will feel the tire slowly lose grip as you reach its limitations. the gforce sports seems to lose its grip faster then the R-S2s at its limits, but still a little more predictable than oem.

wet straight line grip
R-S2'>gforce sports,oem
the R-S2 only have slight advantage over oem and the gforce at full tread, but below half tread, the R-S2s actually perform WORSE then oem

wet cornering
R-S2s>oem,gforce
in wet cornering, the R-S2's still remain a little more predictable in cornering then oem and the gforce

I am currently running the hankook R-S2's in my evo. They are a good tire for a reasonable price, but for the evo. the oem advan's simply out shine the R-S2's, in grip, cornering, braking.
Old 03-06-2007, 02:36 PM
Lev
5 Year Member
SL Member

wow jlaznlover u r seriously a big help *Thumbs up* and sry for responding so late ......... i went to trd to order my sway but the dealer is charging me 210 bucks for them when online its like 140 so ima order them online ....... and thanks for the help once again ;)
Old 03-06-2007, 09:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

try to get only the essentials from the stealership. Most of the members here get their TRD stuff from either trdsparks or mcgeorgeparts.
Old 03-07-2007, 05:47 AM
Lev
5 Year Member
SL Member

o nice thanks alot
Old 07-25-2007, 08:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

get a smaller front sway bar if its available and watch your car go around hair pins a lot easier. people do this for autoX, but not so much for track or daily driving.
Old 07-27-2007, 12:29 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sway bars are awesome! Good purchase and did you do your own install?
Old 07-27-2007, 04:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

o yea... almost forgot.. sway bar = best bang for the buck!
Old 07-30-2007, 03:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by jlaznlover
Originally Posted by Jiggaman
Hmmm, i just might order this, you said that the ride isnt that bad...how bad are we talkin here?
the sway bar should not affect ride quality(unless you are constantly hitting bumps or dips on only one side of the car) pretty much the only time when you will feel the difference of the sway bar(AKA anti-sway bar, anti-roll bar, coupling bars) is in cornering.

i had the trd rear sway bar set to "race" as well. the car definitely still have body roll. the overall feel is much more neutral. with stock sways(front and rear), understeer is a little hard to avoid. with the trd sway(stock front, trd rear) adjusted to race, the handling will be much more neutral and can provoke oversteer with a little persuasion
actually when I had my sway installed it affected my ride quality just like the OP.
I lost the cushion effect in the rear and made the rear wheels of the car ride harsher with less shock absorption.

I also felt the same squat feeling the op mentioned. I didnt like it in race setting because it lifted the front end slightly and I felt like I lost some power. I switched over to the ligher setting and it feels more like stock. I like it in the street setting better so Ill be keeping it on that one

I think the reason why I didnt like the race setting is because Im not an aggressive driver and never even take the car to the point of using thebars potential.

I originally got the sway bar to improve the handling, the so the sway transformed the cars handling from slight understeer to heavy oversteer, which I didnt like, makes it much more trickey to handle to car on bumpy roads.

the street setting brought it back to slight understeer and Im content with that setting. The ride quality improved once again.
Old 07-30-2007, 03:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by RnB180
Originally Posted by jlaznlover
Originally Posted by Jiggaman
Hmmm, i just might order this, you said that the ride isnt that bad...how bad are we talkin here?
the sway bar should not affect ride quality(unless you are constantly hitting bumps or dips on only one side of the car) pretty much the only time when you will feel the difference of the sway bar(AKA anti-sway bar, anti-roll bar, coupling bars) is in cornering.

i had the trd rear sway bar set to "race" as well. the car definitely still have body roll. the overall feel is much more neutral. with stock sways(front and rear), understeer is a little hard to avoid. with the trd sway(stock front, trd rear) adjusted to race, the handling will be much more neutral and can provoke oversteer with a little persuasion
actually when I had my sway installed it affected my ride quality just like the OP.
I lost the cushion effect in the rear and made the rear wheels of the car ride harsher with less shock absorption.

I also felt the same squat feeling the op mentioned. I didnt like it in race setting because it lifted the front end slightly and I felt like I lost some power. I switched over to the ligher setting and it feels more like stock. I like it in the street setting better so Ill be keeping it on that one

I think the reason why I didnt like the race setting is because Im not an aggressive driver and never even take the car to the point of using thebars potential.

I originally got the sway bar to improve the handling, the so the sway transformed the cars handling from slight understeer to heavy oversteer, which I didnt like, makes it much more trickey to handle to car on bumpy roads.

the street setting brought it back to slight understeer and Im content with that setting. The ride quality improved once again.
that is pretty weird. i guess will just depend on the driver and their driving habits. i tend to push the car near its limits around corners. I drive in the same general area all the time and i know how the car reacts at a certain speed with a certain of amount of steering and throttle input.

When my rear sway bar was set to the "race" setting, the only time i had heavy oversteer is when i jerked the steering wheel hard in one direction and mash throttle at the same time. Doing this will make the rear end step out quite a bit, but i don't usually do that when cornering. smoother = faster
Old 07-31-2007, 12:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

My Struts/Springs/Sway bar has been sitting in my apartment for the last 3 months waiting to go on..... all TRD parts

SO when i put the swaybar on, theres going to be a massive difference lol