Notices
Scion tC 1G Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

Spring Rate for lowering Springs- Which is ideal

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2009, 11:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Spring Rate for lowering Springs- Which is ideal

Alright folks gots a question, been doing a little searching and havent come up with very much. So if there is a thread on here already just shoot me a link.

What is the best spring rate for the front and rear of the TC. I know each lowering spring has different rates same goes for coils. What would be the best springs and coils for rates for the TC?

About to get a 2k tax return so im ready to have some more fun with my TC especially since the other car just got outa the shop and it was all under warranty some how.
Old 02-12-2009, 11:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
CinSity Scions
SL Member

depends what you want to do with the car. how harsh do you want the ride, would you care if your gf complains over every bump etc...an ideal rate would be in which the fronts are a bit softer or equal to the back to create a bit more neutral feeling. if you get the front too stiff you might get understeer...or so i hear...

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...mparison+chart
check that out and notice the rates...

obviously if you track then stiffer rates is better. if not, a 6/8 rate for coilovers. not sure about springs
Old 02-13-2009, 03:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well i see what your saying. But i dont mind dropping money on coils or springs got a tax return to over either. So either way is kool with me. But i am mostly a street driver and want good ride quality. performance and want a decent drop. like at least a 1.5" drop. I no if you drop below a 1.4" than you are loosing the best ride performance because you will sit to low and the ride will go to ____ and just be resting on the rubber stops.
My 70 mustang had that problem when i put performance lowering springs on it and i ended up putting spacers in it to raise it back up because it wouldnt handle because it was resting on the rubber bump stops.

So i am trying to get the best street setup on my tc so i can have decent ride quality and still have good ride performance.

so i cant decide to either get springs or coils, but any opinions would be appreciated. I am about to get TRD 18's matte black, so if that helps narrow down the field.
Old 02-13-2009, 03:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i am definitely interested too!
Old 02-13-2009, 08:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
CinSity Scions
SL Member

TRD or Hotchkis springs would probably be ideal for your to lower without much performance compromise. You should check into those 2 and maybe look for some pics. Some people dont like how high it still sits, but if you dont mind that then they would pretty much fit the description of what youre trying to do.

for me, i bought coilovers because theyre 1) height adjust able 2) damper adjust able 3) only a bit more expensive than strut + spring setup and 4) stiffer spring rates so i can take it to a track if i want and have it perform fairly well.
however, for now, i like the lowered look so my handling is poop.
Old 02-13-2009, 08:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Get some Tein SSP Coilovers lol it might be a little stiff..which im about to find out in a week or so but yea, I did research and plenty of positive responses. The problem is with coils is that..what ever coil you decide to get, its always gonna be a rougher ride compared to stocks, struts, or springs. Also I hear B&Gs are one of the softest rides for the tC. You might want to go into that.
Old 02-13-2009, 10:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Go with Progress.
Old 02-13-2009, 11:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yea i hear ya. I was going to get a cheap set of TRD lowering spring off of here just to see what it looks like on the TC and then move into getting coils. I dont mind that much about the ride comfort cuz like i mentioned previously my 70 mustang is lowered and it is for performance and handling not really for ride quality.

What i have found out about coils is that you want everything if your going to get them. meaning get ones that do height adjustment, damper adjustment and so on. Iver heard the TRD coils are nice but they have their draw backs. I cant remember whichs ones i looked at and liked but they could do 32 different damper adjustments and if so desired drop it 1-5inches. Yes i realized one you get lowered 1.5 inches the car doesnt handle for ____ but it is always there as an option. Does anyone know which ones im talkin about cuz i cant remember the name, i wanna say H&R or progress. they are brand new and just hit the market if that helps.

Unless you can suggest some better ones like DOMO mentioned the Tein SSP coilovers?

Lastly is it worth spending the money on the trd springs for a tempt fix or should i just put it toward the coils?
Old 02-14-2009, 02:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
CinSity Scions
SL Member

progress does not offer damper adjust on their coilovers. maybe youre thinking of Function and Form? or maybe Ksport or Megan....i think they are the only 32 way adjustable i can remember....not sure.
Old 02-14-2009, 08:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

travis i would say get springs and new struts/shocks if you wanna get performance an easier way. coilovers are wayyyyyy better though so if you know alot about suspension and know how to adjust things with the coils i say its worth it. hit up engifineer or yellowxhoodie on here they know alot about that stuff.
Old 02-15-2009, 08:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i was thinking about going with Tein basic coilover's. my buddy has those on his sti and he loves them. how stiff are they though?