Notices
Scion tC 1G Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

StopTech BBK finally installed! Pics on PG 4

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2005, 09:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Scion Evolution

drilled rotors are the worst

do not ever get drilled rotors. a lot of of other forums/cars, especially brembo brakes, the drilled rotors crack with heavy stress. thats why stoptech and powerslot only uses slotted. if you drill them, you are actualy taking away rotor mass which in turn weakens the rotor and under heavey stress and heat, and quicker cooling... this causes the rotor to warp or crack which is a no no.

slotted is the only way to go.. drilled if u want to use brakes for show.
Old 11-21-2005, 10:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thats not 100% true but close. There are times when drilled rotors are chosen over slotted. A great example is one of out race teams who wanted more rear bite and they already had very aggerssive rear pads. By going to a drilled rear rotor they were able to attain the added bite they were looking for. Since it was a rear application there wasnt the extreme heat generated the front rotors would be subject to so they lasted just fine. Race applications are also a different story where rotors are wear items like tires and are replaced for every event and sometime multiple times over a race weekend.

On the street, our drilled rotors have not had any problems with cracking due to heat cycling and we have no concerns about a daily driver running drilled rotors. The only time we dont reccomend drilled is for track use when cracking becomes an issue.
Old 11-21-2005, 10:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

To add a little tidbit:

Drilled rotors were originally drilled to serve two purposes, increased pad bite, and more importantly, decreased unsprung weight. With less overall material, a lot of times, drilled rotors actually have a poorer heat capacity than a solid rotor of the same size. Drilled rotors used to be favored as they theoretically help with acceleration the same way a lightened pulley would help with acceleration. The problem with is that in order to obtain a satisfactory increase in acceleration, so much of the material of the rotor would have to be drilled out that for one, brake performance would decrease considerably, and two, that increased "bite" will put such a strain on the rotor that it could very easily crack.

Now, people on street cars like drilled rotors primarily for looks - as been said. Street cars generally don't take the kinds of abuse that track cars take (except perhaps for the Vitz cup.. with little 1NZ engines I bet those brakes are barely warmer than ambient temperature after a day's worth of braking ) so cracking shouldn't be a problem for a driver like me and most other individuals. Still, there is the benefit of less unsprung weight on the wheels. With the increased bite and low weight rotors, braking performance generally increases with drilled rotors. However, the performance increase would be akin to the performance increase of a functional spoiler. Benefits are primarily marginal.

That is not to say swapping out for slotted rotors would be a huge increase in performance. On street cars, the primary benefit would be rotors that are cleaned easily due to the slots. Also, the slots work almost like treads on the tires - when it rains, rather than form a film under the calipers during braking, water gets pushed into the channels and wisked off towards the edge of the rotors as the rotors spin. Drilled rotors have this benefit too but to a slightly lesser degree. Again, on a street car, benefits would be marginal.

Potential would be much higher though.

The_Instigator recently was on a track in an entirely streetable car. Things may have gotten precarious had he been using drilled rotors. The stock rotors were solid so they were never in much danger. The pads had relatively little surface area but they seemed to last pretty well, although, brake fade was apparent. This fade would not have been an issue for drilled brakes as the heat "cushion" under the pads would have been pushed into the drill holes and ventilated through the center. Slotted rotors would provide exactly the same benefit by allowing the heat to channel through the vanes. Once again, it will be a precarious situation for the drilled rotors to undergo too much of this level of abuse though.

Bottom line, for all intents and purposes of regular drivers, BBKs, drilled, slotted, or solid, are rice. But for drivers who plan on doing some performance running that involves turning that nice steering wheel that drag racers don't use very often, drilled rotors might be a liability whereas slotted rotors are going to be a solid choice.

To address the advantage the drilled rotors may have over slotted rotors, the StopTech BBK slotted rotors are lighter than the OEM rotors so they will save some unsprung weight. Drilled rotors will save more but.. it's your call.

That percentage I want is 50% but I'm willing to lower it to just a 10% discount :D :D :D :D

5%?
Old 11-21-2005, 10:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

$?
Old 11-21-2005, 11:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by kungpaosamuraiii
...The_Instigator recently was on a track in an entirely streetable car. Things may have gotten precarious had he been using drilled rotors. The stock rotors were solid so they were never in much danger. The pads had relatively little surface area but they seemed to last pretty well, although, brake fade was apparent. This fade would not have been an issue for drilled brakes as the heat "cushion" under the pads would have been pushed into the drill holes and ventilated through the center. Slotted rotors would provide exactly the same benefit by allowing the heat to channel through the vanes. Once again, it will be a precarious situation for the drilled rotors to undergo too much of this level of abuse though.
Again close but not 100% true. It is somewhat a myth that drilled/slotted rotors allow outgassing of pads due to excessive heat. While this is true of new pads (or pads not properly bedded in) there is a noticable "green fade" situation where the uncured resins from manufacturing get baked out of the pads and slots/drills help to combat this fade. After a pad has been well bedded in and the resins have been baked out, the pad will not exhibit the cushion effect again to any noticeable degree. When a pad reaches and exceeds its MOT (max operating temp) it will exhibit "pad fade" which is more of a situation of the friction simply giving up under the heat as opposed to a cushion effect of gasses being trapped between the pad and rotor. In other words I would have experienced the same pad fade on the track last week whether I was running plain, slotted or drilled rotors because the pads were not capable of delivering the proper coefficient of friction at the temperatures I was bringing them to.
Old 11-22-2005, 02:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

So.. amateurs shouldn't talk much.

I'll shut up now..

Oh well, was planning to shut up anyways :D
Old 11-22-2005, 06:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

LOL..no its good to get the information out there. Sometimes the best info is hard to get out if nobody asks the questions. Theres a lot of misconceptions about brake systems and the more dialog there is about them the more everybody learns and benefits. Ive only been with StopTech for a few months and have learned so much its ridiculous and I still find myself learning new things everyday. Ive also read through all of our white papers here: http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/te...e_papers.shtml and I swear I pick up another tibit everytime I read through them.
Old 11-22-2005, 08:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

looks gud. im surprised the stock wheels fit in there.
Old 11-22-2005, 08:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Looks sweet. let us know how they persform
Old 11-22-2005, 01:47 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Were would be a good place to buy a BBK for the scion at a great price?
Thanks
Old 11-22-2005, 03:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I cant really comment on pricing since we are not site sponsors.
Old 11-22-2005, 07:09 PM
5 Year Member

Yer missing some lugnuts....i wouldn't drive like that.

You could buy them from us for 1650$ shipped!

thats for the big brake kit with slotted rotors and without the zinc coating.
Old 11-22-2005, 07:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ColeGSC
Yer missing some lugnuts....i wouldn't drive like that.

You could buy them from us for 1650$ shipped!

thats for the big brake kit with slotted rotors and without the zinc coating.
Like I said..they arent installed yet..just a test fitting session to make sure my 5mm spacers were large enough to clear.
Old 11-22-2005, 08:24 PM
5 Year Member

i was just messin around. Obviously you wouldn't drive them with lugnuts missing
Old 11-22-2005, 09:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Why? Is it bad to drive with only 2 nuts?
Old 11-22-2005, 10:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

..No seriously, is it?

I saved a few grams per wheel..
Old 11-23-2005, 01:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

so when are you getting these bad boys put on for good?
Old 11-23-2005, 03:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

lookin nice
Old 11-23-2005, 05:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by davedavetC
so when are you getting these bad boys put on for good?
We were going to install everthng tonight but I had something come up I had to take care of. Hopefully tomorrow or Thursday. Only thing better than taking thanksgiving off is getting to work on your car right?
Old 11-23-2005, 06:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

good luck to you.

Quick Reply: StopTech BBK finally installed! Pics on PG 4