Notices
Scion tC 1G Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

Suspension mods and insurance

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 04:16 PM

Default Suspension mods and insurance

So here's an interesting one for everybody. I sent an email to my insurance company to find out how much it would cost to have custom parts covered on my plan, and to find out if an aftermarket seat would cause my rates to increase. They sent me a reply asking what mods I had. I told them I have an aftermarket exhaust system and a rear anti-sway bar.

This should have raised a few red flags for me, but I thought, "eh whatever."

I get a reply back that they set my policy to "non-renewal status" because I modified my suspension... wait... WHAT?!?

I called them up and they gave me some BS about the car being modified from what the factory specs were and that they could not be sure of the damage applied in case of an accident.

I then read my policy over AGAIN and poured over every word in it. It specifically states that they cover custom parts not installed by the manufacturer up to $1,000.

Sorry for the long post, but I'm curious if anyone else has run into anything like this. And, yes, I know I probably shouldn't have even mentioned it to them at all...
Old 03-28-2011, 04:29 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

I've done this on two vehicles now, first through GEICO and then Nationwide. Neither company required an itemized parts listing, it was broken down by the ammount of coverage I wanted for aftermarket parts. It was around $100 for 6 months of coverage for about $12k worth of mods.

The big difference is that the main mod was a wheelchair ramp, and the company had gotten DOT certification for it. The remaining $2k were for stereo stuff (amps, subs, etc.) but since the policy is not broken down by mod type, I would think engine / suspension mods could still be added under it. Keep in mind that if your mod or install if found faulty in the event of an accident, they could potentially deny covering damages if the policy isn't conprehensive.

Aftermarket seats, steering wheels, etc. aren't street legal in most cases as they mod (read: disable) the airbag system and are a safety issue. Save the headache and get Clazzio's or other fitted covers.
Old 03-28-2011, 04:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

depends on the carrier, talk to your insurance agent, you can purchase an endorsement on your policy for covering custom equipment on your cars, wheels, tires, stereo, headlights etc.

esurance was pretty awesome for purchasing additional coverage on custom parts, also, if you don't have additional coverage for custom parts, they would pay for the price of an OEM equivalent, and i'd have to pay the difference, which isn't a huge deal, because OEM parts are usually more expensive.
Old 03-28-2011, 04:34 PM

Interestingly enough, I do have collision and comprehensive coverage. As you mentioned, it is required in order for those parts to be covered, but they have no list of illegal or banned modifications.
Old 03-28-2011, 05:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

it depends on the wording of the policy. i actually work at a major car insurance company, and while i was training with an auto adjuster inspecting a customer's damaged vehicle, he had a riced out integra with a terrible body kit, and he was getting it appraised, so i asked what he was going to do for the estimate for the repairs, if it would be OEM or aftermarket, and he said "we owe him what he has" so he wrote the estimate for the body kit piece that was damaged, not the oem bumper that was. but usually, they're cheaper anyway.
Old 03-28-2011, 05:22 PM

I am still planning to go speak to someone face-to-face because all I've done up to this point is talk over email and phone. Anyone have any tips, beyond having my policy and all documents related to this issue with me when I go?
Old 05-31-2011, 04:19 PM

I applaud you for your modesty. but thats why you're supposed to keep your mouth closed....ive never reported my upgrades to my insurance agency. theres no need to. upgrades are supposed to be to your satisfaction. most agencies may not cover aftermarket parts.