Notices
Scion tC 1G Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

SWAY BAR: TRD, Progress, or Hotchkis?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2009, 12:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default SWAY BAR: TRD, Progress, or Hotchkis?

I just want to see everyones opinion. What do you preffer, have you upgraded from one to the other? do you want to? did you need to?..
Old 03-07-2009, 12:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I would say the Hotchkis is overkill if you don't plan on racing or autocrossing or anything like that - mostly because it is a front and rear bar. You'll definitely feel quite a difference with just the rear bar. You may also want to consider the Progress one as well - it comes with new endlinks.
Old 03-07-2009, 12:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Also, the front Hotchkis bar is not an easy install. You have to drop the sub-frame to swap it in.
Rears (any brand) are fairly simple.
So like Ack said, unless you really feel you want / need it, the Hotchkis may be overkill, and a rear bar only would be sufficient.

FYI - it is also not recommended to use only the Hotchkis rear. They're sold as a set only, but some people put only the rear on, when they find out the front install is a bigger job than they thought. It's too much bar, when paired with the stock front.
Old 03-07-2009, 12:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

HOTCHKIS!!!

Best suspension mod I've ever done on any of my cars!

Don't be scared by the install of the front sway. It's time consuming, but actually quite simple. The hardest part is finagling the old sway out and putting the new 1 back in... Just loosen the sub-frame bolts and don't take them all the way out like alot of ppl do. This will give you enough room. Took me 3 hrs by myself and in my driveway.
Old 03-07-2009, 05:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ack154
You may also want to consider the Progress one as well - it comes with new endlinks.
And you can find this for about $20 more than a TRD Rear Sway. In fact, TRD Sway is made by Progress...
Old 03-07-2009, 04:02 PM
SL Member

Progress!
Old 03-07-2009, 05:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

TRD/PRogress is a very good setup. With pushing my car pretty hard autoxing it, I was leaning towards the Hotchkis setup to reduce body roll a bit more. However, I have completely changed my mind on that for now. The issue with using a stiffer front sway on a fwd is that you lose traction more on the inside front on corner exit. With an open diff, this means you go nowhere fast. I already deal with this a bit with the stock front sway. I am moving to much higher spring rates than the trds (installing ss-ps) to battle body roll a bit more and staying with the trd rear sway for this reason. This follows along the lines of Gardner and some other guys that run a stiffer rear bar.

The issue on the street with running stiffer sways is that you are reducing suspension independence, meaning if you hit a corner that is bumpy, you will be skittering around more than with smaller sways. So there is always a tradeoff.

The hotchkis bars have pleased a lot of people and I am sure you would like them. For me, however, with trying to get more and more out of the car for autox I have changed my mind a bit.
Old 03-07-2009, 07:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The issue on the street with running stiffer sways is that you are reducing suspension independence, meaning if you hit a corner that is bumpy, you will be skittering around more than with smaller sways. So there is always a tradeoff.

The hotchkis bars have pleased a lot of people and I am sure you would like them. For me, however, with trying to get more and more out of the car for autox I have changed my mind a bit.
Very true^^^

I couldn't be happier with the Hotchkis' performance. But, I already know from past auto-xing experience, they would be too stiff on this car (tc)... With that being said, if you like hit corners at high speed and live in a hilly area (like me) then they are perfect!
Old 03-19-2009, 10:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

so ive been looking at the progress bar now, any recomendations from people who have sways or have driven tc's with sways?
Old 03-19-2009, 11:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by tcleezy_09
HOTCHKIS!!!

Best suspension mod I've ever done on any of my cars!

Don't be scared by the install of the front sway. It's time consuming, but actually quite simple. The hardest part is finagling the old sway out and putting the new 1 back in... Just loosen the sub-frame bolts and don't take them all the way out like alot of ppl do. This will give you enough room. Took me 3 hrs by myself and in my driveway.
x2!

the best thing i have done to my tC
Old 04-11-2009, 06:31 AM

I am just about to get the Progress but I was wondering if anyone knows how much stiffer the stock are the two settings rated at. I am guessing that it is like the trd since they are made by the same company.
Old 04-11-2009, 06:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I can't speak for the other bars, but I'm happy with the Hotchkis. The fronts are involved, but be patient and you will be rewarded.
Old 04-11-2009, 06:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i love my progress bar with my progress springs, i have driven a hotchkis setup and it was sick too but i like mine better, might be because its my car
Old 04-11-2009, 06:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

thanks to all that have replied so far this has helped me out a lot. i've been looking to get the hotchics sway bars. I think im going to stick with my choice but i will wait to see what other have to say as well. thanks for the help
Old 04-11-2009, 08:09 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I've installed Progress and TRD. A buddy was UPGRADING to a Progress from TRD. I bought the TRD for mine. I would rather have Progress because it's stiffer and beefier and it comes with the new beefier endlinks.

However, TRD IS great and definitely noticeable. One of my favorite mods. Don't know much about Hotchkis but lots of people use them.

If you're lookin for a good deal on suspension setups go to TRDsparks.com

And everything engifineer said x14317580431
Old 04-11-2009, 09:03 PM

Just bought the Progress last night, can't wait to get it and test it out.
Old 04-14-2009, 02:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

nice choice, you wouldn't have been disapointed in either choice im sure
Old 04-16-2009, 10:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I found this...

http://www.dezod.com/pd_progress_rear_sway_barscion.cfm

Do both of these bars go under the rear of your car? 1 under 1 in trunk? 1 front 1 rear? I can't figure it out. Gonna go with either this or the TRD rear sway which is only $130
Old 04-17-2009, 12:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by engifineer
TRD/PRogress is a very good setup. With pushing my car pretty hard autoxing it, I was leaning towards the Hotchkis setup to reduce body roll a bit more. However, I have completely changed my mind on that for now. The issue with using a stiffer front sway on a fwd is that you lose traction more on the inside front on corner exit. With an open diff, this means you go nowhere fast. I already deal with this a bit with the stock front sway. I am moving to much higher spring rates than the trds (installing ss-ps) to battle body roll a bit more and staying with the trd rear sway for this reason. This follows along the lines of Gardner and some other guys that run a stiffer rear bar.

best word of advice
plus, the trd bar stands out the most!
Old 04-17-2009, 06:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

for tight auto x events and the hotchkis sways cant you just dissable the front sway to give it more independence in the front to give out better low speed cornering ? I am on trd springs, poly bushings and hotchkis front and rear sway bars. endlinks soon to come though. could i dissable the front and just hook it back up for when I am dd the car ?

Quick Reply: SWAY BAR: TRD, Progress, or Hotchkis?