Notices
Scion tC 1G Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

tC's and Body Roll..

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2009, 04:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by CarbonXe
If you can't control your car on a public highway, you do not know how to drive.

Oh and the word you're looking for, was douche.
what? he meant to call me a douche? oh that is it, i'm not helping him anymore, he just made this list!

but he is talking about emergency manuevering, not just regular driving. but this again is where autocross helped me! like on a rainy day, when going thru an intersection, an oncoming car starts to make a left turn, and just stops right in front of my lane, i knew i couldn't stop in time, but i managed to whip over to the other lane and avoid him quite handily, then at the next stop light, i pounded my chest to get my heart going again! lol.
Old 08-14-2009, 04:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by draxcaliber
i keep re-reading your original post and i just can't for the life of me figure out what you could do to make the tC oversteer on you. the only time i've had to worry about the tc oversteering on me was autocrossing on a triple skid pad specifically treated to have minimal traction for cars driving on it.

and even going hard around the cones and shaloms, getting up to 55 mph (i was actually hitting my rev limitor in 2nd gear), there were 2-3 instances when the car almost sent me on a 180, but i caught it each time.

then in that one, with the LSD and stiffer front sway bar and strut tower brace, and poly suspension bushings, i am able to lift the inside from tire while accelerating.

and sure i've asked questions from more knowledgible people than myself, but usually that is after i've exhausted all my resources for figuring it out myself.

oh, and lastly, the scion tc's stock handling is largely let down by the crappy stock tires. once i had decent tires on my tc, i was flying around turns with it.
Mate, your just answered your own confusion, my car is fully stock with fully stock tires, none of the improvements you listed to improve cornering, and i dont autocross, so saving an unexpected fishtail isnt something many people are skilled in, but congrats on your skill.

I gave you 2 points for small bit of helpful input you gave,the rest of ur "help" put u in the douche list. aand yes in the second instance it was emergency manuvering.

Last edited by Knice; 08-14-2009 at 05:13 AM.
Old 08-14-2009, 10:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by draxcaliber
i keep re-reading your original post and i just can't for the life of me figure out what you could do to make the tC oversteer on you. the only time i've had to worry about the tc oversteering on me was autocrossing on a triple skid pad specifically treated to have minimal traction for cars driving on it.

and even going hard around the cones and shaloms, getting up to 55 mph (i was actually hitting my rev limitor in 2nd gear), there were 2-3 instances when the car almost sent me on a 180, but i caught it each time.

then in that one, with the LSD and stiffer front sway bar and strut tower brace, and poly suspension bushings, i am able to lift the inside from tire while accelerating.

and sure i've asked questions from more knowledgible people than myself, but usually that is after i've exhausted all my resources for figuring it out myself.

oh, and lastly, the scion tc's stock handling is largely let down by the crappy stock tires. once i had decent tires on my tc, i was flying around turns with it.
Ahh, I know what you mean. I hate going around the shaloms...

Shalom!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shalom

I'm assuming the word you were looking for was slalom, unless there were really Jewish people in the middle of your autocross events.

Despite draxcaliber's apparently abundant knowledge of advanced vehicle dynamics I am going to have to disagree with him. As I said in my first post you can make a front wheel drive car oversteer very easily. Some are worse than others, but I've noticed the tC's back end can be very loose even in stock form.

For the first two autocross events this year I drove my RX-7. My RX-7 has a V8 swap and 300 ft-lbs available to the rear wheels basically off idle. This can demonstrate on-throttle oversteer, something a FWD car like the tC will not do.

Using autocross as an example if I charge into a corner going too fast either car will just plow through corner (understeer). Now on the tC (or RX-7) if I trail brake (brake while initially turning in) into the corner a bit the rear end gets quite loose. I'm not talking about 'mad tyte JDM Initial D dorifto, yo', but it does lose traction. That's how weight transfer works, I don't see why you don't understand this drax. Kince basically experienced lift-off oversteer which can happen in any car and can be surprising if you aren't expecting it. I don't know why you (drax) can't grasp this concept.
Old 08-14-2009, 01:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by tcleezy_09
Actually the tC has terrible handling in stock form. One of the worst FWD handling cars I've ever driven. Now with sway bars, springs, struts, and braces it's a different story.

Learn how to drive? LOL! you're 18 bro, I'm sure you have no clue when it comes to driving...
3 years of driving.
No accidents, no spinning out.
I think i have a pretty good idea on driving.
Old 08-14-2009, 03:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Knice
Pay attention to what your reading before you comment and add nothing to a topic. The main point of the question was weight shift (body roll) under breaking or deceleration, not "going around turns and swerving" But at least your threw a line that the other deustches (draxcaliber, liltofuboix, GammaTNT, CarbonXe and one cheeleader (10gxiong) could pile onto and add absolutley nothing. (drax gets 2 points for 3&4..but still a deustch)

I dont race much, i cruise unless im in a rush

75-80mph until rush-hour traffic at the end of a right curve...in this instance..the only option is to slow down as much as possible during the curve..which causes the car to swerve as i learned...and didnt expect.

As for everyone else, thanks for the tips and improvement options.
Im coming off a very different Rwd 97 Ford Thunderbird. Handling is muuch different, so when something happens with this car that suprises me, I ask those who know more about it. Im sure you 5 kids have had a question or two for the more knowledgeable on this forum.
I did answer your question you clown... And on top of that I was taking your side because of the attitude of these kids that "think" they have a clue about driving when they're 17, 18, and 19 yrs old.

But since you obviously over looked that and are here just to start a fight ____ OFF!!!! Talk about D-BAG.....
Old 08-14-2009, 03:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

What i said was that i understand how the car handles, but in all my years of driving the tC, from stock to where it is now, the only time the rear has attacked me was on a triple skid pad auto crossing, where traction is extremely minimal, oh, and one other time, years ago, when my car was stock minus replacing the tires with Pzero Nero M+S, I was going 120 mph, when my exit came up, and tried to slow down to make it while going right, and the car started to swerve right, then left, then right again, and I kept it in the lane, and still made my exit. but that is an extreme case. (obey local posted speed limits kids.) so if I was going 120 mph, and managed to keep the car from spinning out, it shouldn't be such a handful at 80 mph unless you have less traction, or are going way beyond what a car should be able to do.

Last edited by MR_LUV; 05-07-2021 at 05:50 AM. Reason: Awarded 10 Yr Badge
Old 08-14-2009, 03:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

TCleezy 09 are you in that list of names King paranoid??!! i know you were addressing 07_scion. So quick to react before processing what they just read...and quoted...
Draxcaliber thats great driving, but you were fully under braking in order to make your exit, ive experianced that wobble under braking and turning and have controlled it. The instance of me spinning out was after a sharp swerve to the left then acceleration which i suppose kept the rear-end uneven(had no idea that was possible..if it is) , until i passed the fool i avoided and took my foot off the gas as i approached more traffic ahead. Now maybe i should have eased off the gas instead of lifting tottaly which might have created too much foward weight shift and allowed the bak to switch and correct itself, suprising the hell outta me. Not many can recover after 2 fishtails and no slide control experiance. I suppose if i was skilled i could have gotten back on the gas and inertia drifted across two lanes for a while until i recovered..but thats just dreams.

Does this explanation clear things up a bit?
Old 08-14-2009, 06:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

2 second rule
drive speed limit
go to sow at least once
don't ever ride a motorcycle

but... maybe it was because of the dirt?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GoZa6PhDyZI
Old 08-14-2009, 07:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

Originally Posted by myr6goesfast
2 second rule
drive speed limit
go to sow at least once
don't ever ride a motorcycle

but... maybe it was because of the dirt?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GoZa6PhDyZI

Hahahaahahhaa
Old 08-14-2009, 08:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by 07_Scion_Tc
Originally Posted by tcleezy_09
Learn how to drive? LOL! you're 18 bro, I'm sure you have no clue when it comes to driving...
3 years of driving.
No accidents, no spinning out.
I think i have a pretty good idea on driving.
It's all relative, you just need perspective. Look back on your post several years from now, then you'll understand. Nothing personal, as it applies to all young drivers.
Old 08-14-2009, 08:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

That video looks ridiculously fake... why did the camera suddenly cut off as they were saying "oh ____, oh ____, etc etc"? And then suddenly turns on again out side the car as it is evenly covered in dirt...

Shenanigans.
Old 08-14-2009, 08:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

Fake or not, it's funny as hell.
Old 08-16-2009, 01:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

[
Draxcaliber thats great driving, but you were fully under braking in order to make your exit, ive experianced that wobble under braking and turning and have controlled it. The instance of me spinning out was after a sharp swerve to the left then acceleration which i suppose kept the rear-end uneven(had no idea that was possible..if it is) , until i passed the fool i avoided and took my foot off the gas as i approached more traffic ahead. Now maybe i should have eased off the gas instead of lifting tottaly which might have created too much foward weight shift and allowed the bak to switch and correct itself, suprising the hell outta me. Not many can recover after 2 fishtails and no slide control experiance. I suppose if i was skilled i could have gotten back on the gas and inertia drifted across two lanes for a while until i recovered..but thats just dreams.

Does this explanation clear things up a bit?[/quote]
Maybe You might just want to Slow down some and not do all that swerving and you wouldn't have to worry about it then?
Old 08-16-2009, 02:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by bikerdude1550
Does this explanation clear things up a bit?
Maybe You might just want to Slow down some and not do all that swerving and you wouldn't have to worry about it then?[/quote]

yeah, well, the full story is there was some jerk-off from masshettuchetts in a mercedes S430 bugging the hell outta me, first off, i check my blind spot and change into the left lane on the interstate, and while my blind spot was clear, that yahoo comes up on my tail going over 100 mph, and gets all angry at me like i shoulda seen him coming and waited, so then he pulls ahead of me and goes like slower than i wanted, but kept blocking me when i tried to overtake, so when the interstate merged from 3 lanes to 2 lanes, i caught him off guard because he was spending so much time watching me that he almost hit another car trying to block me, so i finally got around and wasn't going to let him ahead of me again.

but trust me, i knew i was in trouble the moment i started swerving thinking, "oh know, i've done it now" and was very aware how lucky i was to recover and not hurt myself or anybody else.
Old 08-17-2009, 03:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

seriously this heated convo for what.. you guys get worked up easily i need to make one of these posts some day lol.. and drax i like ur car ;) muahhhh
Old 08-21-2009, 05:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by 07_Scion_Tc
Learn how to drive?
Ive pushed my scion pretty hard going around turns and swerving i have never spun out.
LOL!!!!!!!
Old 08-22-2009, 07:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

your not supposed to break through turns, thats one way of keeping the back from sliding out.
Old 08-22-2009, 08:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Just get some rear sway bars.

Increasing the stiffness of the rear sway bar is an effective way of freeing up the rear end. The bar will allow both sides of the rear suspension to support the outside rear wheel. On a FWD car, the leverage of the rear sway bar will frequently lift the inside rear wheel in the air. With only one rear wheel on the ground, sliding into a corner gets pretty easy.
Old 08-22-2009, 02:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Domo
Just get some rear sway bars.

Increasing the stiffness of the rear sway bar is an effective way of freeing up the rear end. The bar will allow both sides of the rear suspension to support the outside rear wheel. On a FWD car, the leverage of the rear sway bar will frequently lift the inside rear wheel in the air. With only one rear wheel on the ground, sliding into a corner gets pretty easy.
Did you even read the thread? The OP had problems with oversteer and you are suggesting that he upgrade the rear sway bar to have a higher tendency to oversteer?
Old 08-22-2009, 04:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

There is some bad info and some good info on here.

First the bad. Strut tower bars do NOT prevent body roll. Going significantly higher in spring rate and sways is the ONLY way to battle body roll besides lowering the CG. Strut tower bars actually do next to nothing on this car.

Second, the whole roof assembly weights about 70 lbs.. it is not NEARLY as heavy as people seem to think.

IF you throttle lift in a turn with the engine speed up.. it will wag its tail. This is something that us Autox'rs use all the time to get the car to rotate. I go into 50 mph, hard corners and never touch the brakes, I use throttle lift to slow down and to help get the weight shifted correctly.

The best way on a daily driver to battle body roll is a sway. The TRD Rear does a hell of a job. If you wanted more agressive and dont mind a bit worse ride (less suspension independence) then you could go with a Hotchkis Front and Rear set.

The best way overall to battle body roll is super stiff springs, but most people don't like that on the street. I run SS-P's which have much, much higher rates than stock.

But as mentioned, a lot of what you are talking about is driving technique, not the car. If you are complaining about over steer on a stock tC, you are REALLY doing things wrong. This car under steers too much, like most FWD's stock.
Actually, most cars are tuned to under steer more from the factory. It is safer for the average driver to go off the road forward than backward ;) Most of us that Autox the car or track the car work to increase the potential to over steer, not reduce it.

Last edited by MR_LUV; 05-07-2021 at 05:58 AM. Reason: Awarded 15 Yr Badge

Quick Reply: tC's and Body Roll..