Notices
Scion tC 1G Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

TRD lowering springs + Ground kit = Speed bump probs?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2005, 05:14 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default TRD lowering springs + Ground kit = Speed bump probs?

Hey all,

I'm trying to decide whether I want to get the TRD lowering springs + the TRD shocks + Ground kit, but I'm the sort that thinks it's totally lame to lower your car to the extent that you have to be super-careful about speed bumps and normal driveway ramps.

Has anyone done all of those modifications, keeping the 17" stock wheels? What's the ground clearance? Do you have to worry about bottoming out or crashing the front bottom edge going over speed bumps and driveway ramps? Are we talking about slowing down to like 1 mph (or something like that) and trying to go around them or hit them at some angle?

The ground kit is the one part of that equation that I'm not sure about. It's growing on me, but if it's gonna bring on ^those probs, I'm skipping it.

=> Shadowhawk
Old 05-13-2005, 06:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have the TRD springs, but not the ground effects kit. There are a few places where I've scraped coming out of a sloping parking lot or places like that, but nothing major. The ground effects would mean I would have to be more careful, but things like speed bumps shouldn't be a problem. More like steep driveways and stuff like that.

What color is your car? If it is a lighter color, I don't think the ground effects look good anyway. Maybe get the suspension done first then decide?
Old 05-13-2005, 06:54 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I haven't actually purchased or even ordered it yet. I'm waiting a bit to try to order the 2006, but I'm deciding on the accessories I want to order it with.

As to color, I'm definitely partial to dark blue (the 2006's don't have IIP, but something else called "Nautical Blue" (color code 8S6), so I'd be getting it sight unseen, probably. A close second would be the black cherry pearl.

So at least, color-wise, the ground effects kit won't be an issue.

Still, if you're occasionally scraping with just the springs, I'd guess that the ground effects kit could only make it worse.

Hmmmm.
Old 05-13-2005, 07:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

get the ground effects and springs..you'll have no problems whatsoever...i have the kit on TRD springs and havent scraped yet. i get over speed bumps, get into entrances and what nots with no problem..its not an aggressive drop so you dont have to worry. that is unless your coming into an entrance or exiting at a really fast speed, then you'll dip and scrape, lol.
Old 05-16-2005, 06:30 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

yeah. sped bump witht he trd springs shoul dnot be a problem... i have them and the ground affect kit and and 19's .. .. and so far no scapping..

there are places like parking lot exits that sometime have a large dip... im probably going to have to watch for those..
Old 05-16-2005, 08:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

This is good to know, I was wondering the same thing.
I'm considering getting a RS 1 with the springs and kit, so I guess it wouldn't be a problem.

But does anyone know about bottoming out in the rear with the 18's and TRD springs and 2 passengers in the back? That'would be my final decison on wether to get the springs or not. Has someone actually had it happen?