Notices
Scion tC 1G Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

TRD springs vs Ground Control Coilover Kit???

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2007, 08:53 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default TRD springs vs Ground Control Coilover Kit???

Hi, I just bought these Ground Control Coilovers kits because someone reccomended it, I know that these arent true coilovers but the fact that i can control the spring height is pretty cool. Anyways I havent put them on yet but i just read some post about the ride quality sucks and was wondering if i am better off selling these things and getting trd springs instead
Old 02-27-2007, 09:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i my self have the TRDs and the ride is not bad at all. from what i have read on here, it seems like the lower you go the worse the ride gets. i think having the adjustability of the sleeves is cool. i dont kno i may be wrong since i only have experience with the trds.
Old 02-27-2007, 11:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Premium Member

i remember a guy having some problems with the springs on these. Im not too sure on what to deal was but after everything was settled, he said he liked the ride. I was about to go with the GC's but then decided to keep my current springs and buy the TRD shocks.
Old 02-28-2007, 12:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I worked at a shop selling GC coilovers in my younger years. They are cheap BS man...don't bother. I'd say save up the money for a real coilover kit (H&R, HKS, Tein, etc...) or go with a good spring/shock combo. I'm hoping for some alternatives to TRD and Koni soon.
Old 02-28-2007, 01:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

What about KW Coilovers. Anyone know anything about those?
Old 02-28-2007, 02:05 AM
fox
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have them and i'm NOT entirely happy with them...i am wearing out my stock struts fast cause i have a big drop. I am going to upgrade to a REAL coilover kit from Progress!
Old 02-28-2007, 03:34 AM
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

PM me for info on B&G full coilover kits with full ride height adjustment and full dampening control. I have inside connections. =0)
Old 02-28-2007, 06:31 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

well today i found an tc owner who have these springs and i gotta say they arent too bad, he said he's had them for a while now and so far so good. the rides not as bad as i thought not much different from other tc with springs...

i decided that id rather get the 5 axis kit lip kit and wait til i have enough for real coilovers or get trd shock/spring combo...

anyways this means that the Ground Controls are going on sale...

Anyone wanna buy these off of me???? this'll teach me to not buy on impulse lol....
Old 03-15-2007, 01:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ok, explain a noob like me what is the use of a coilover and why is it so much better than just the springs, springs and shocks, or the ground control kit.
Old 03-15-2007, 02:48 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

well i'm no suspension expert but here what i understand.

Springs are for lowering your car, They can be installed on your stock shocks or aftermarket shocks. Depending on the springs rates your ride quality can stay almost stock height or be pretty bumpy.

Overtime your shocks will blow, the more aggressive the drop the faster they blow. it also depends on road conditions too...How many miles you get on stock shocks will totally depend on you...

Aftermarket shocks such as TRD or Koni were built for performance and will last much longer and go great with the springs. I think Koni shocks even have adjustable dampning on them... your gonna have to ask someone else about these....

Coilovers are a complete replacement for your suspension system... They are basicly springs and shocks combined and work perfectly in together since they were made for each other. The cool things about these is you can adjust the height or sometimes the dampning with just a a couple of tools so when you feel like slamming your car for show you can... i reccomend these if money is no object lol since they cost ALOT....

The ground controls are not true coilovers since they do not come with shocks but with these you can adjust the height of ur car with just a turn of a wrench just like coilovers... Kinda like converting your stock system into a coilover system but you will not be able to adjust the dampning unless you get aftermarket shocks like Koni yellows...

I've heard many good things about this combo on various cars including the tC...
Keep doing some research in these forums if your interested in pickup a kit...
Old 03-15-2007, 07:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

if you want a comfortable ride, and a nice stance go with TRD man

Old 03-15-2007, 08:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^I'm surprised that the TRD's look that low on 18's. I can hardly see any wheel gap.
Old 03-15-2007, 08:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i just got my tc back today with the trd springs an shocks, the front is barely noticible, but the rear is a huge difference. and i have the stock 17's
Old 03-15-2007, 09:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Hamster
SL Member

Originally Posted by Nooomoto
I'm hoping for some alternatives to TRD and Koni soon.
Tokico
Old 03-16-2007, 01:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^x2
Old 03-16-2007, 02:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by draxcaliber
i just got my tc back today with the trd springs an shocks, the front is barely noticible, but the rear is a huge difference. and i have the stock 17's
Can you post a pic? I would like to see what it looks like on 17s.
Old 03-16-2007, 02:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Tekka
well i'm no suspension expert but here what i understand.

Springs are for lowering your car, They can be installed on your stock shocks or aftermarket shocks. Depending on the springs rates your ride quality can stay almost stock height or be pretty bumpy.

Overtime your shocks will blow, the more aggressive the drop the faster they blow. it also depends on road conditions too...How many miles you get on stock shocks will totally depend on you...

Aftermarket shocks such as TRD or Koni were built for performance and will last much longer and go great with the springs. I think Koni shocks even have adjustable dampning on them... your gonna have to ask someone else about these....

Coilovers are a complete replacement for your suspension system... They are basicly springs and shocks combined and work perfectly in together since they were made for each other. The cool things about these is you can adjust the height or sometimes the dampning with just a a couple of tools so when you feel like slamming your car for show you can... i reccomend these if money is no object lol since they cost ALOT....

The ground controls are not true coilovers since they do not come with shocks but with these you can adjust the height of ur car with just a turn of a wrench just like coilovers... Kinda like converting your stock system into a coilover system but you will not be able to adjust the dampning unless you get aftermarket shocks like Koni yellows...

I've heard many good things about this combo on various cars including the tC...
Keep doing some research in these forums if your interested in pickup a kit...
Thanks for the answer. It's kind'a what I thought...
Old 03-16-2007, 02:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i don't know...my tc is pretty dirty, i don't think i should be allowed to post pics of it when it looks this bad...lol but yeah, if i get a chance i'll do it.
Old 03-16-2007, 02:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It depends on what type of "dirty pics" are you going to post... pics of the tC won't be censured
Old 03-16-2007, 02:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i just can't get women to stop posing topless around my tc, even in this cold weather. as soon as i walk up to it with a camara they all want to be in the photo with it.

Quick Reply: TRD springs vs Ground Control Coilover Kit???