Notices
Scion tC 1G Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

TRD sways vs. Hotchkins Sways

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2005, 09:03 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Default TRD sways vs. Hotchkins Sways

alight well i'm sure this post has already been discussed but i'm to lazy to go through all the posts so here goes...i've been lookin to buy sways for my car; i was leaning toward the TRD rear sway since i'm all TRD'd out right now as far as springs and exhaust...however the TRD is only rear where as the Hotchkins is front and rear..is there a big difference, and is the price difference worth it? anyone thats ran both setups before have input?
Old 11-23-2005, 10:40 AM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Sways

The TRD Rear Sway coupled with the TRD Springs does a nice job of stabilizing the car. The Hotchkis Sways will give you even more control, but the front sway install is not for the amatuer or weak hearted. It really requires the right equipment and an experienced person to do the job. Hope that helps.

Ken
Old 11-23-2005, 02:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: TRD sways vs. Hotchkins Sways

Originally Posted by kAhAkAi
alight well i'm sure this post has already been discussed but i'm to lazy to go through all the posts
Thats weird, im too lazy to give you a real answer.
Old 11-23-2005, 05:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm still waiting on my suspension parts from Ken at Sparks. One of my TC's has the TRD Springs and TRD Sway. My new one is going to have TRD Springs, Shocks, and Hotchkis Sways. If I get them today, or Friday they should be installed over the holiday. If not, it will hopefully be the following weekend. The tracking number states the 28th (Stupid Holiday). =(

I'll let you know the difference as soon as I have mine installed.
Old 11-23-2005, 05:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I wrote a review about them from my on-track experience last week here: https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=93847

For everyday aggressive street driving, the TRD is great. It keeps the car more level and makes for a better driving experience. I had the same question when I was getting the parts and I asked a few guys about it (raamaudio, Lo_Bux_Racer, and Dr. Isotope) and they all felt that Id be very happy with the TRD setup and they were right. Heres that link: https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=82555

Im sure the hotchkis bars would be better on the track where the limits of the car can be reached much easier, but the extra price , installation issues, and possible rubbing under the car may not be worth for the street.
Old 11-23-2005, 05:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

I got my hotchkis bars for like $239 shipped to my door... not bad price at all. They are complimented by tein h-techs and greddy strut tower braces.
Old 11-23-2005, 06:57 PM
PT
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have the hotchkis and I installed them myself and there is no problems at all. I'm new the the car world too. All I did was follow the instructions. You would only have problems if you install it wrong.
Old 11-23-2005, 09:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Actually a lot of guys running the Tein springs have been having problems with the front Hotchkis bar rubbing against the suspension components. It appears that the stock endlinks are too long and cause the swaybar to sit at an incorrect angle. There hasnt been a solution found yet to fix this. Lo_Bux_Racer has modified some endlinks to be shorter which has solved the problem, but its not a permanent fix and he is worried about the longevity of the parts.

And even following the instructions, the installation is a PITA.
Old 11-23-2005, 10:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

from what hotchkis says and what I have been reading, it only affects tein coil overs. Springs do not change the mounting location of the swaybar endlink. Coil overs do.
Old 11-23-2005, 11:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

There is a difference between the Hotchks Sways and the TRD Sway bars. The Hotchks Sways are substancialy stiffer than the Trd Rear bar. Hell the Rear bar alone has 3 settings while the TRD has either 2 or 1. I use to have the TRD bar and it had 2 settings but I hear that it has since been re designed and now only has 1 setting on which it can be placed. If you do some homework you can find out the numbers and that will tell you the differences between the two rear bars.
Old 11-25-2005, 09:12 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

thanks for the input guys; i've decided to go with the TRD sway, ill be getting it on saturday so hopefully it'll be going in within a week; ill do a writeup on how they feel, thanks for all the input!
Old 11-26-2005, 03:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i'd take the hotchkis. to compliment my hotchkis front strut bar, and tein h-techs.
Old 11-27-2005, 04:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

What about the Project tC in sportcompactcar mag.???They did the hotch bars/camberlinks ,progress CO's, and they said nothing about this problem???
Old 11-27-2005, 04:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Put the hotchkis in yesterday. 0 rubing with the h-techs, not even close! Awsome sways. Really transformed the car!