Notices
Scion tC 1G Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

Why Tein's coilover spring rates soo high?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2005, 09:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Why Tein's coilover spring rates soo high?

I am thinking about getting some coilovers for my tC. Usually, Tein's setup is more conservative for streetability but for the tC there setup on their web site are front= 390 lbs/in, rear=560 lbs/in. I think that is pretty high and I don't understand why the rear is higher then front on a front wheel drive car. I do have experience in coilovers from my civic si and intergra that I used to own just not with tein's. They always had the higher spring rate in the front and softer in the back. With my tC I am not into hardcore performance anymore but I do still like better then any stock setup anyday If someone with the tein coilovers can lend me a hand to these questions that would be great.

Also to add by looking at other cars that tein provides for their coilovers that those spring rates are more softer and what I'm used to see with tein's setup.
Old 07-21-2005, 09:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I talked to Tein about this and because of the tCs unique social seating arrangement, they (TEIN) felt that it was necessary to increase the rear spring rate.
Old 07-22-2005, 05:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Scion Evolution

i believe the spring rates arent high enough...
Old 07-22-2005, 09:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

The tC has struts in the front and shocks in the rear. The front struts can run a softer springrate, due to the multiplication rate brought by the control arm. In effect, the "final" rate for the front is higher than the rear. 7kg/mm front and 10kg/mm rear isn't very stiff at all. there are a number of Civic setups running 10kg/mm front and 12kg/mm rear, in lighter, double-wishbone suspended cars.

I've always been a believer in "soft springs big bars". Works on the track, works on the street. Until you're working on setups with less than 3" of ground clearance, you can get away with running soft springs, and your roadholding will be better-- the softer the spring, the bigger the slip angle.
Old 07-22-2005, 11:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Dr. Isotope
The tC has struts in the front and shocks in the rear. The front struts can run a softer springrate, due to the multiplication rate brought by the control arm. In effect, the "final" rate for the front is higher than the rear. 7kg/mm front and 10kg/mm rear isn't very stiff at all. there are a number of Civic setups running 10kg/mm front and 12kg/mm rear, in lighter, double-wishbone suspended cars.

I've always been a believer in "soft springs big bars". Works on the track, works on the street. Until you're working on setups with less than 3" of ground clearance, you can get away with running soft springs, and your roadholding will be better-- the softer the spring, the bigger the slip angle.

ahh.. I forgot about the different front/rear strut/shocks setup. I also didn't know that struts multiply the rate. Can someone be kind to explain that to me? Thanks