Notices
Scion tC 1G Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

wilwood BBK proportioning valve

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2006, 08:45 AM
5 Year Member

Default wilwood BBK proportioning valve

hi everyone, i'm new to this place and i thought i try to pick your minds'. i just got a wilwood BBK for my sister's tc, and in the kit came a proportioning valve. i just wanted to know from the ones that have the wilwood kit installed if you used the proportioning valve? and if you did use it, where did you installed it? i know it goes between the master cylinder and the brake calipers, but it has only 1 inlet, and 1 outlet. do you install it for the front brakes or the rear ones? the cars' brake setup is not setup (front left + front right, then rear left + rear right) from the master cyclinder! its setup like this (front left +rear right, then front right + rear left) if the brake system is like this, then how do you adjust the brake bias from front to rear with only 1 inlet and 1 outlet? or do i have it all wrong? do you not use a proportioning valve at all? any thoughts would be great!
Old 01-04-2006, 03:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I wouldnt reccomend running the prop valve at all. The Wilwood kit will add a ot of front bias anyway so the prop valve shouldnt be used for the rear brakes since they will be underutilized anyway. Its also a really bad idea to run a prop valve on the front brakes as it can affect the ABS and max braking output. Install the kit without it and see if it tends to nose dive under braking or if it feels like the back end wants to swing around. If the car nose dives then it is front biased and a prop valve cant help you. If the rear end get loose and wants to swing around it is rear biased and a prop valve can help to tone down the tendency to snap oversteer but it really is a band-aid solution.

I would recommend you PM "Raamaudio" who has a Wilwood kit and may know whether ot not it should be used...although I beleive he special ordered calipers that are better suited to the car and may not even require a prop valve.
Old 01-05-2006, 07:13 AM
5 Year Member

thanks for the info and all, but i do know how the valve works. i know that if you put bigger brake calipers up front it, will be front bias, and the prop valve could be used to tune down the pressure in the front so that the rears will be the same as before.and the brakes would be more balanced. i guess my ?'s is, has anyone else installed a proportioning valve with their wilwood BBK? and if they did install it, where inline did you put it? if you didn't use the valve, why not, and how does the brakes feel? Instigator, thanks again for your help, but i guess i asked the wrong questions
Old 01-05-2006, 04:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sorry..I started to get too technical and missed the point of the question. In my opinion and the engineers here at StopTech who I asked about about this, the prop valve should not be installed becasue it cant solve a front biased system in a safe manner. A prop valve should never ever be used for the front brakes. The car will be stable and safe with front bias under braking which is the best solution. So..basically what Im saying is dont install it because it wont help the car and may only make it usnafe.

You really should send a private message to Raamaudio who has a wilwood kit for his car and may know the best solution for you based on his experiences.
Old 01-06-2006, 02:45 AM
5 Year Member

Default bbk question

did you get rear brakes from wilwood to, because I thought they just had a front kit for now.
Old 01-06-2006, 03:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

As of now there is no rear kit avialable for the tC that I am aware of.
Old 01-09-2006, 02:40 AM
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

The proportioning valve is completely unnecessary; our car's EBD system elminates the need for a physical proportioning valve.

Precision Brakes company provided one for my custom rear kit, but it sits on my desk now and my car's braking balance is perfectly fine without it; there's no way to implement it anyway because of the car's four-channel, EBD-enabled controller.

-Ed

PS It seems that STILL nobody has yet to catch on to the fact that I have front and rear Wilwoods, even though I've done a decent amount of posting here. I'm tempted to reinstate my sig pic with the mod list...
Old 01-11-2006, 04:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ed is absolutely correct and he does have a rear custom kit as well.

As per the PM I sent, forgot to post here as well so this is for others benifit

No need for a valve, you would have alot of plumbing to do to install one and it would mess up your ABS most likely anyway.

As we all know, BBK kits are far more for show than go for almost all that want to get one. The stock brakes are great as is if you just do the pads upgrades alone. But doing the lines, fluid and even rotors can make them a bit better as well but more peace of mind than big gains, I still like to do them myself.

All that said, I have them for looks as well, and I love the way they look, I would be a liar if I did not say so

Just one more point, rear BBK's only needed on all out race cars that use the brakes alot! Strictly for looks on the street or strip but they sure do the looks part right!!

Rick
I have a BBK on the front of my car and love it but do have a bit of use for it when I do track days and hill climbs where I will generate enough heat to need them.
Old 01-11-2006, 05:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

if i got my stopTech or wilwood BBK, would i be able to transfer my older front rotors to the rear? They are larger so i think i would work slighly better than the older ones. Would it make a rear brake bias? Is it even possible?
Old 01-11-2006, 06:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Not possible and not needed, again only for looks, rear brakes are barely used on a street driven car, main purpose is to provide stability when braken so the car does not start going sideways.

Rick
Old 01-11-2006, 09:25 AM
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by sensay
if i got my stopTech or wilwood BBK, would i be able to transfer my older front rotors to the rear? They are larger so i think i would work slighly better than the older ones. Would it make a rear brake bias? Is it even possible?
Undoable; the stock front brakes are a single vented rotor and hat assembly while the stock rear brakes are a single solid rotor and drum assembly to accomodate the parking brake, so there's no way the fronts can be swapped in for the rears without losing your e-brake functionality.

-Ed
Old 01-11-2006, 03:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Also, if you were to increase your rear rotor size without resizing the caliper piston you are going to add a lot of rear bias to the system which can be very unstable and unsafe to drive with. When moving the caliper further out on the rotor you increase leverage on the rotor and therfore increase brake torque. While it would look a little better the car would be unsafe to drive and probably have increased stopping distances ove stock.
Old 01-11-2006, 04:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yep, all the above, one more added negative bonus would be more unsprung weight which you really do not want;)

Rick
Old 01-12-2006, 12:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

the more you know!