Notices

ahh I'm running out of tread, what to do?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2008, 08:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default ahh I'm running out of tread, what to do?

So I have about 2mm of tread left before I hit the wear bars. Does anyone know how much longer I can go with out replacing the tires? Safety is VERY important to me, and it is winter here so my car does travel on snow and even ice at times. I cant believe how fast I have gone through them (I just the other day hit 15,000 miles), but apparently no one really gets much life out of the stock Yokohamas.

I had wanted to get these tires to last throughout winter so come summer I could get a performance summer tire, but I don't know how soon i need to replace my tires. If I need to get on it quickly, should I get some nice All-Seasons (and if so what are some recommendations) or should I get a winter tire and then hope I have the cash to get some summer tires when the season comes?

I really am a n00b when it comes to tires/wheels so I would really appreciate all the help I can get, thanks
Old 12-15-2008, 12:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well you are certainly not required to get new tires. If you are able to drive, and safely handle your vehicle than I wouldnt worry about it. If you want to be on the safe side I would suggest you get some new tires. Get a second opinion from a Tire Shop. If you want some good winter tires I would go with the Nokian brand. Very good on snow / rain and last long too.
Old 12-15-2008, 12:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

Replace the stockers with some Blizzaks and buy another set of wheels and put the new tires on those. You'll have summer tires that will last two summers and winter tires that will last you 3 winters.
Old 12-15-2008, 01:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

And if you dont do that.. check out tirerack.com and discounttiredirect.com . If you really want all seasons, I highly recommend Avon Tech M550's. I had them before I got the Falken 912's I have now. The Falkens are nice, but dont even compare to the Avons IMO, especially on snow. But I typically drive my older Saturn all winter, so I am not as concerned with the snow traction being the best in the world.. the Saturn drives better in the snow anyways.

But being in Michigan, where you get more snow than we do here, I would invest in some winter wheels n tires. You can find a set of stock wheels for sale online for a few hundred or less sometimes (I bought my autox oem wheels for $150).
Old 12-15-2008, 08:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: ahh I'm running out of tread, what to do?

Originally Posted by x_Batman_x
So I have about 2mm of tread left before I hit the wear bars. Does anyone know how much longer I can go with out replacing the tires?
I've been riding on the wear bars of my stock Yokos for over a thousand miles, but I wouldn't recommend it.
Old 12-15-2008, 08:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
1UP Crew
SL Member

I drove on almost no tread for a month or two.

I was short on cash.

Worst experience of my life, lol.
Old 12-15-2008, 08:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yeah the little tread is pretty weird to drive it. If I floor it in 1st or 2nd I can usually spin the wheels lol. I already have an extra set of stock rims. But I was planning on getting Falken Azennis for Auto X use only and putting those on them.

the other thing to consider is that I might be moving down to New Orleans next year for school so I'll only be doing winter driving when I'm back in town.....
Old 12-15-2008, 11:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

alright so I'm thinking I'm gonna get some winter tires for now. What do you guys recommend? Its not like the roads are always covered in snow. In fact they've been completely dry for the past few days... but they are very often wet and of course ocassionally snow and ice covered. So I do need a top of the line tire, just something that will do well on wet pavement and provide traction on snow/ice....

thanks for your help so far guys
Old 12-16-2008, 12:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

okay haha I actually just completely changed my mind, I'm going with all-seasons. If I move to New Orleans, I will not be driving in snow often enough to justify snow tires

Someone recoomended Falken Ziex's to me. Anyone have thoughts on that tire or alternatives to suggest?
Old 12-16-2008, 12:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

From just a few posts above in my previous post

And if you dont do that.. check out tirerack.com and discounttiredirect.com . If you really want all seasons, I highly recommend Avon Tech M550's. I had them before I got the Falken 912's I have now. The Falkens are nice, but dont even compare to the Avons IMO, especially on snow.
I have not been very impressed with the 912's on snow.
Old 12-16-2008, 01:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

no I saw that, I just didnt think they were the same thing.

I'm looking for more info on the Avon's you recommended. I actually have never heard of that brand before.
Old 12-16-2008, 09:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

avon is a british brand. Tirerack.com is the only place here in America that sells them. Avon also makes motorcycle tires that a lot of riders know about.

The other brand you could look at is the Goodyear Eagle F1 All-season. I have recommended Toyo Proxes4 alot in the past but in snow they're just OK/FAIR. nothing too exciting, it'll get you home but only if you go slow and take your time. Belle Tire sells them in your area. I think they're a really good all-around tire. But in snow and ice, i've wished for better. Not sure if there is in an all season.

but as with all goodyear tires, not cheap. about 150 a tire or so. I think the proxes4's at belle tire are like 130 each.

I just don't know how the Goodyear F1 All Seasons are in snow. Look around for reviews.
Old 12-16-2008, 11:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

funny thing you mention the Goodyear Eagle F1 All Seasons, I've actually been leaning toward those. I've only read great review for them both concerning dry and snow.
Old 12-16-2008, 01:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Just remember that any all season will be ok at best in snow. There really is no such thing as "All Season" tires... its more like "Can be driven year round, but not so great in some instances" tires

Avons are huge in the motorcycle world, and they have been pretty popular among tC owners on some forums. They do a good job of mixing the all season/decently priced areas.

The F1's are great tires from what I have heard as well. A bit more money, but seem to be good all around tires.
Old 12-16-2008, 11:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

thanks for the help engifineer. I did look into the avons. But since they are only carried by tire rack, if I ever had to replace one, I would have to special order it. I feel more comfortable buying a more popular tire. I can afford the F1's now so I think based on what everyone has said about them, I'll get those.
Old 12-17-2008, 02:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yeah that's what always stopped me from getting the avon's as well. NO place to get them locally and I don't want to wait a couple days for tirerack to ship me another if something happened.

and definitely keep us posted, I mean I'd really like to know what you think of the F1 All Seasons. braking, wet/dry traction, ride, handling, of course. but I'm also wondering what snow traction will be like, heard good things but come back and tell how the traction is thanks!
Old 12-23-2008, 04:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i love my bridgestone potenza as960 polepositions...they are an all season z-rated tire with 40000mile warrenty...also great traction...turns at 30mph with no squill...i live in kansas and we get snow and ice and they are much better than the yokos in every condition
Old 12-31-2008, 07:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i love my TOYO Proxes 4 they are pimp and grip like crazy, i dont hydroplane anymore
Old 12-31-2008, 10:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i have kuhmo escata ast's and they're really good to me and still running after 15k. 75 per tire on tire rack.
Old 01-01-2009, 02:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have a friend who has 50k on his original tires. Yes I am being dead serious too, never had a problem and bless his tire's souls.

Quick Reply: ahh I'm running out of tread, what to do?