Notices

Best All Weather Tire for Snow/Ice?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2009, 04:05 PM

Default Best All Weather Tire for Snow/Ice?

My son is going to school in southern Indiana and I'm looking for the best all-weather tires that also do a good job on snow and ice. I realize all-weather tires are not specialized for snow and ice, but I don't want to buy another set of tires and wheels for winter use only.

Last edited by msreason; 11-09-2009 at 04:09 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 11-09-2009, 05:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I will be having my car in Indiana too, but this is my first winter season. I talked to one of the guys that works at Goodyear and he said the eagle GTs worked well in snow and ice. They look good and have the rim protector too.
Old 11-09-2009, 07:44 PM

Was that a Goodyear store in Indiana that has some experience with the tires in actual use?
Old 11-10-2009, 07:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

No, the guy is from Oklahoma so he doesn't have experience, but he talked with some other workers that may have more experience. He informed me the Eagle GTs were the top of the line all season tires to be in the snow. Of course this is only for the Goodyear line. I was getting discounted on goodyear tires so I went goodyear and didn't check other brands.
Old 11-11-2009, 02:50 AM

Originally Posted by msreason
My son is going to school in southern Indiana and I'm looking for the best all-weather tires that also do a good job on snow and ice. I realize all-weather tires are not specialized for snow and ice, but I don't want to buy another set of tires and wheels for winter use only.
If you want to almost guarantee your son's safety and his car's safety, snow tires are the only answer.
A snow tire and wheel package may not be as expensive as you thought. And will last at least a few years. Besides it will be alot cheaper than the cost of ANY repair for an accident caused by not having snow tires on.
Everyone I have met who has ever driven through a winter on snow tires will never use an all weather tire again. And I've been in the auto industry for a long time, dealing with alot of tire customers.
I personally think snow tires should be mandatory.
Just my opinion.......
Old 11-14-2009, 03:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You should get proper shoes for winter because there is no such thing as an all around tire. If there was that company would be very rich from their advancement in tire technology.

If you can snag up another extra set of tC rims I'd put on snow tires on them and store them properly when the season is over.
Old 11-14-2009, 05:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

look for an set of xd steelies they are 16" so you can run alittle meatier tire and will probably be cheaper than a set of tC rims. Then you could run a real set of winter tires.