Notices

calling 2007 owners with aftermarket rims (TPS)

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2007, 03:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default calling 2007 owners with aftermarket rims (TPS)

Hi, so I have 07 FM tC and I'm gonna buy some new rims soon, but after I read a thread about 07 with tire pressure sensor attached on each rims I was like wtf, I didn't know that. So here is my question. If I don't transfer my tps to new rims, I know the alarm is gonna be on, but is there any way to turn that off? and if I don't have tps there's no way my car to realize my tire pressures right? that's worse than 05~06 tC's then..
I thought about transfer my stock tps to new rims but it will cost a lot because the shop has to take the old tires off > transfer tps to new rims > reinstall old tires to stock rims > install new tires to new rims

that will cost a lot I guess.

So is there anyone who runs without tps or any suggestion?
Old 02-18-2007, 12:54 AM
5 Year Member

Depending on where you get the wheels, alot of the time the shop will swap the air sensors for free. I don't know if there is a way to shut the warning off, but I swapped my senors into my new wheels without a hitch, works like a champ. And I know at my store when a customer buys a set of tires/wheels from us, we swap the air sensors at no charge. Just call and ask around, it may not cost too much.
Old 02-18-2007, 12:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Actually I'm going to buy wheels online and get tires local and put them on there. Maybe they can swap sensor lil more cheap if I buy tires from them.
Thanks, burn6010
Old 06-05-2007, 09:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i bought my wheels/tires online pre-mounted and balanced if i wanted this dumb light to turn off i would have to pay to get both rims/tires demounted and remounted, that would cost well over $100 maybe in the $150-200 range. This is pretty unacceptable and judging by complaints on these boards about these things it just doesnt seem like its worth it.
Old 06-05-2007, 06:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I just bought a new set of rims from a local shop and they called up my rim company (falken) to ask if the TPS will fit in the new rims. Falken said yes so I'm hoping they're right. getting them on at 5 tonight... hopefully.

Edit: Looks like the sensors fit fine. Don't have the light yet. If I do oh well.
Old 06-06-2007, 05:01 AM
5 Year Member

SL Member

Well I just put on aftermarket wheels on my 07... nope i didnt swap the sensors... no low pressure light =D. I'll just check my tire pressure like i always did...
Old 06-06-2007, 02:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

dealership won't do it. but you can just move the sensors yourself. if you do a search there is a thread out here somewhere. good luck.
Old 06-07-2007, 03:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well i mentioned earlier that i sold my wheels with the sensors in them, doh and my tps light was going crazy and was very distracting. Im not about to spend $400 to put new ones in so i decided to just mod the damn gauge cluster to block out the tps light by placing a very thick piece of black paper behind the tach just blocking out the tps light. It works very effectively and it looks as good as new. For me i get air in my tires once every few months so the tps system is stupid imo. The fact that these things take an hour of driving to even set off is lame and that there is no way to turn it off is unacceptable. Im just glad that i dont have to worry about it anymore and it is almost undetectable that the car is missing the sensors.
Old 06-07-2007, 04:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

if you switch out the stock 17's for 18 inch rims, do the pressure sensors automatically set for the tire pressure, is the pressure in the tires suppose to be the same?
Old 06-07-2007, 09:58 PM
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

if your sensor doesn't fit correctly on your new wheel try flipping it 180 degrees. just make sure that whenever you get new tires you let the ppl know you've done this so it doesn't get snapped accidently.
Old 06-08-2007, 07:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

yeah it sucks. i wanted to keep my stock rims for in the winter an put some snow tires on it and only use my tenzo type R's in the summer. I called the dealership up today to see how much it would be to get more sensors...its $128 each!

for scion to support "customization" they sure didnt think that through too much! (although i know its all for safety reasons)
Old 06-09-2007, 06:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

this is what i was worried about for my 07 BSP tC . I am just going to buy some 18s and have the tps changed out . I will have to keep the 18s on it forever but that wont be a problem because i live in cali so we dont have to worry about winter being too bad out here
Old 06-09-2007, 07:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I just removed the LED from the gauge cluster. I've been 10years checking my own tire pressure; I'm sure I can manage. :D
Old 06-09-2007, 04:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

almost every new car has them and if they dont, they will have them, they are now required because people are lazy and dont check their tire pressures, and they cause accidents.

either way, just dont put them in, keep on top of checking your pressures, and pull the LED that is behind the low pressure light, you will be fine.
Old 06-10-2007, 12:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

I've had aftermarket rims installed on my '07 tC since November of 2006 and I have not had my TPS light come on at all. And I didn't swap them in to the new rims.
Old 07-06-2007, 08:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Well, 2000 miles and 8 months later my TPMS light finally came on...go figure =) Was pleasant on the eyes while it lasted =D
Old 07-06-2007, 03:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

you don't drive much
Old 07-07-2007, 04:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Man. If it took that long to figure out they were missing. imagine how long it'll take to figure out your pressure is off.
Old 07-07-2007, 04:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by a_german_named_hans
Man. If it took that long to figure out they were missing. imagine how long it'll take to figure out your pressure is off.
It actually will recognize it pretty fast. I was leveling the air pressure in all my tires one day and I let the air out of only one tire to about 15psi and put the key on and turned to on and the light lit up automatically and would not go out until I did the reset steps. It did exactly what it was suppose to do for me.
Old 07-07-2007, 06:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

yeah, I only drive it myabe 20 miles a day back and forth to work. If you seen the condition and width of some of these roads and how high some of the curbs are...a lowered car isn't going to be pretty for long. I drive my r34 skyline more here though.

Quick Reply: calling 2007 owners with aftermarket rims (TPS)