Notices

Cost of Brakes and Rotors?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 09:02 PM
SL Member

Default Cost of Brakes and Rotors?

Hey guys,

just a general question about the regular price of a brake change?

Went to a local shop and they said it cost about $140-150 for them to be changed.

I also asked a friend and he said i might need to get my rotors replaced. I highly doubt i need them to be changed since ive had them resurfaced the first time i changed my brake pads.

P.S. i hope changing my brake pads will remove the squeaking noise when i brake and when im going 0-15 mph.

Car is @ about 63k
Old 08-30-2010, 09:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Are you just replacing the brake pads? If so, its easy to just do them yourself. I'm assuming that you're replacing the front pads, if that's the case, OEM front pads are only about $40-50. With the squeaking noise at 0-15 mph, I don't know if that'll go away or not because I've had new rotors and pads installed and i still get it. Must be normal for some of us. At least its not a loud screeching noise that lasts all the way from when you brake from 50mph to 0.
Old 08-31-2010, 04:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i changed my own brakes. i did 2 front rotors, front and back brakes. for about 120$ and and hour or so to do it. i used wagner brake stuff too, no cheap garbage
Old 08-31-2010, 04:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

if you take it to a shop it will cost you 100 to 150 per axle just for the brakes. and of course some places (sears, pep boys, monroe, etc) will tell you you need a couple hundred $ more of stuff you dont need just to try to rip you
Old 09-01-2010, 11:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Scion626Blk
Hey guys,

just a general question about the regular price of a brake change?

Went to a local shop and they said it cost about $140-150 for them to be changed.

I also asked a friend and he said i might need to get my rotors replaced. I highly doubt i need them to be changed since ive had them resurfaced the first time i changed my brake pads.

P.S. i hope changing my brake pads will remove the squeaking noise when i brake and when im going 0-15 mph.

Car is @ about 63k
it's cheaper to replace the rotors than to keep resurfacing them. Plus resurfacing takes away material = bad. Rotors are heatsinks, they vent the heat caused by friction away. If there is less material, theres a better chance the rotor will absorb that heat and warp.

the brake pad squeak can be fixed by a tsb I found for toyota calipers. here's my translation of what the tsb said and what works for me.

1. take off noise shim, lube back of brake pad (both pads) with brake grease (i like the ceramic solids xtreme brake grease from napa)

2. install noise shim, squeeze shim against pad and remove excess grease that comes out from edges.

3. apply brake grease to ends of pad where it mounts into mounting tabs and install pads.

4. apply brake grease to the inside retaining "fingers" of the caliper. To describe this.. On one side you have the piston and on the other you have two metal "Fingers" that hang down they are part of the body of the housing. They slide right up against the outside brake pad when mounted.

5. Slide caliper over pads, install retaining bolts, torque to 25ft-lbs.

That is what has stopped the squealing for me and others I know. The effects only last about a year, I think the grease just wears off after a year and needs to be reapplied.
Old 09-02-2010, 05:02 AM
SL Member

hey people,

thanks for all the replies back.

I took it to a shop today and they replaced the front brakes and resurfaced them along with flushing out the brake lines. Total cost was $130.

i asked him to show me the brakes that were replaced and they were down to the last millimeter. mechanic said a couple of more days and i wouldve been making contact with the rotors. Im content. Ill replace the rotors the next time im in need of new brakes.