Notices

Good Tires (215/45-17)

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2007, 03:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Good Tires (215/45-17)

aiight, i know there's already a thread here about new tires but i didn't wanna thread jack..

so i have some questions, i just hit the 3yr mark this week for having my car. I've got 35k on my tC and the tires are pretty worn to the point where driving in the rain here in Seattle isnt fun.

so what am i looking for when im buying a tire? being from the pacific northwest, i need a real good all season tire that handles all the elements. i do quite a bit of driving so i need something that lasts a good amount of miles too.

my budget is kinda flexiable, but id rather save money if i can spend less for the same quality.

i like what ive read about the Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS and Yokohama ADVAN S.4

Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS

Treadwear: 400
Traction: A
Temperature: A
Speed Rating: ZR

The Potenza RE960AS Pole Position gives premium sports car owners a solid all-season tire and a performance tire wrapped up in a racy looking package! Traction is the key, and exclusive UNI-T AQII technology delivers in both wet and dry-even as the tire wears. Silica and a leading edge sipe add to the wet/dry adaptability. If you want undaunted performance when the weather switches gears, go with the Potenza RE960AS Pole Position.
Yokohama ADVAN S.4

Yokohama's ADVAN S.4. offers all-season utility and ultra-high performance to demanding drivers of today's premium sedans and coupes.

ive also had some friends w/ sti's and evos tell me Falken Ziex ZE-512 and Conti Extremecontacts are real good.

Conti Extremecontacts

The Continental ContiExtreme Contact is a new Ultra High Performance All-Season tire that will the handle rigors of everyday driving throughout the country. The “Shark Fin bio-mechanic” directional tread design combined with two wide circumferential grooves evacuate water and slush quickly to provide the necessary traction in adverse weather conditions. The “TriNet” silica-based rubber compound developed by Continental keeps the rubber pliable during extreme weather, and will deliver excellent grip under cold, wet, or dry conditions. Other key features include a spiral wound jointless nylon cap to promote superior uniformity at high speeds and a “Bionic Contour” to allow more precise steering and braking response by maintaining even footprint pressure under all conditions
Falken Ziex ZE-512

Treadwear: 360
The new Ziex ZE512 maximizes the all-season performance with a uni-directional tread design and large circumferential grooves for superior wet weather handling. This tire offers a smooth, quiet and comfortable ride along with an improved rim protection ridge to protect your custom rims. Performance never looked so good.
so it looks like 400 for treadwear is the best and A's for traction and temperature is the best too??

what do you guys think.?? lol i just realized i listed the same tires as the other thread >_<

i know someone here's gotta be a tire genius!!! feel free to chime.
Old 07-26-2007, 03:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

I think that A is the best. All of those look pretty much the same, but I like the Falkens. I have then and they have been pretty good to me so far. Though, if I had the money to get new ones, I would try something else. My 225/40/18's are a bit stiff.
Old 07-26-2007, 04:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Toyo Proxes 4 ftw.

I know the threadwear sucks (300), but trust me these tires are awesome.
Old 07-26-2007, 04:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^eh i don't need awesome, lol

i i need TEH BEST!!!

treadwear is pretty important cause i drive a ton.. plus when the snow comes i need to be able to handle it.. they do look nice though >_<
Old 07-26-2007, 04:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

posted in wrong section, opps... ignore this post.
Old 07-26-2007, 06:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

^^^ There is a delete button for those posts...
Old 07-26-2007, 06:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Just remember that treadwear ratings are not consistent across manufacturers. So a tire from one manufacturer with treadwear 320 is not necessarily a direct comparison to a tire with the same rating from another manufacturer. It only compares with tires by the same manufacturer. So be careful about using this as a basis for comparison.
Old 07-26-2007, 09:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yes Toyo Proxes4 ARE THE BEST. Best at everything. I've tried other tires, nothing has it in every category like the proxes4. Unless you are set on having to buy from the tirerack, since they don't sell toyo..

the other thread tells more about the proxes4, they are fine in snow too. 25k-30k is how long they'll last.
Old 07-26-2007, 09:43 PM
5 Year Member

regardless what you get you are not going to get a lot of miles out of them anyways but if you have to money for those tires then hey do what you want.
Old 07-27-2007, 02:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^ yeaah you're right.. not much i can do about the treadwear.. i guess ive done pretty good though only racking up this many miles in 3 yrs..

anyone else have any personal experience w/ the Conti Extremecontacts or Potenza RE960AS??

i'm mainly leaning towards these ones right now.. and the proxes i'm still reading up about.. a lot of recommendations for these ones too =P
Old 07-28-2007, 12:42 AM
5 Year Member

yeah you said you got like 30,000 out of them right? that is really good actually. I had to get a new set of tires at 13,000 miles. Yes i know thats dumb but i burned the hell out of them when UT won the National title. Im a longhorn till i die!
Old 07-28-2007, 03:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

if you're talking to me about what I said.. yes the Toyo Proxes4 will last between 25-30,000 miles.
Old 07-28-2007, 04:18 PM
5 Year Member

No i was talking to Kev about him saying he has 35000 on his tc i dont know if those are on the same tires but if they are then thats really good
Old 07-29-2007, 01:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^^ yeah i agree that's pretty good for stock tires, he's taking good care of them to help them last that long! they usually don't last that long from what i've heard.
Old 07-31-2007, 05:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ahhh after a lot of debate and asking some friends.. i decided to go w/ the Conti Extremecontacts ! =P

have a lot of friends telling me they are the best bang for your buck.. i was realy close to getting the Falken Ziex ZE-512 too.. but i think the conti wills be gooooood
Old 07-31-2007, 09:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

hope they work out for ya! but then again you know I am entirely sold on the Toyo Proxes4. lol ;)

let us know how the Conti's are.
Old 07-31-2007, 10:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by sciontc_mich
if you're talking to me about what I said.. yes the Toyo Proxes4 will last between 25-30,000 miles.
The Toyo proxes 4 are one of the smoothest riding tires that I have ever owned.....but the tread wear is horrible.....had to replace them after 10,000 miles......I now have the fuzion hri's......not as smooth as the toyo's but have had them for 10,000 miles so far and still lots of tread left.
Old 07-31-2007, 10:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^^ that's too bad yours didn't last more than 10,000 miles

either you were driving too hard, air pressure was incorrect, or your alignment was out. Maybe a suspension problem?
I already have way over the mileage you had on the proxes4 as well as others who have more than what you had and there is still lots of tread life left.

edit: another thing that you may have not paid attention to was that the Proxes4 are required by Toyo to be rotated at least (maximum) every 3500 miles (for warranty, but also a good recommendation). Otherwise they won't wear correctly. That would definitely lower the life of the tire considerably
Old 07-31-2007, 01:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by sciontc_mich
^^^ that's too bad yours didn't last more than 10,000 miles

either you were driving too hard, air pressure was incorrect, or your alignment was out. Maybe a suspension problem?
I already have way over the mileage you had on the proxes4 as well as others who have more than what you had and there is still lots of tread life left.

edit: another thing that you may have not paid attention to was that the Proxes4 are required by Toyo to be rotated at least (maximum) every 3500 miles (for warranty, but also a good recommendation). Otherwise they won't wear correctly. That would definitely lower the life of the tire considerably

I had the proxes on my Nissan.....had them rotated every 5000 miles.....no alignment problems.....or suspension problems.....but the car was old.....they lasted on my nissan for about 12,000 miles......took them back to the place I bought them from.....around that same time I brought them back is when I got my TC.....so they gave me new ones to put on my brand new TC......figured mabey the nissan had some problems and thats why the tires wore so fast.....so I gave them another shot on my TC.....had them rotated at 5000 miles like the shop suggested.....took it back at 10,000 miles to get them rotated again and the shop informed me they were just about worn.....offered to give me another pair and I said screw it and bought the fuzions....which have been great.....don't get me wrong...I love the ride of the proxes....they just wear out too quick.....and if you do a google search on proxes other people have complained about them wearing out too quick as well.
Old 07-31-2007, 04:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

and 5000 miles as Toyo has said is way too long to wait, thats why they didn't last. Even toyo won't warranty them if they're not rotated before 3500 miles. so thanks for confirming what I thought. That it was rotations above the required rotation mileage that did it.

Seems Toyo should get the word out better that those proxes4 need to be rotated before 3500 miles.

Glad your new tires are working out for you.

Quick Reply: Good Tires (215/45-17)