Notices

HELP!!! both rear tire wear choppy

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2010, 02:19 PM

Default HELP!!! both rear tire wear choppy

I have a 06 scion tc i bought the car used with 50k car was completly stock. the car had toyo tires on the car and they started wearing coppy on the two rear tires in the insides. so i brought it to my mechanic he told me to replace the struts, so i did. replaced them with new factory struts car had about 55k on it at this time. when i had the struts replaced i bought s-tech tein springs had those installed when he did the struts. Then bought knew tires got goodyear tires all seasons from firestone. then brought car for alignment front and rear about two weeks after having the struts and springs installed. I noticed a small viberation after all the work was done so i had the balance on the tire checked firestone side they where in specs. Now the viberation is getting worse and my two rear tires are wearing choppy on the inside AGAIN! the car now has 75k on it. I know it time to rotate the tires but dont want to ruin the good tires. At this piont i dont know what to do, hope someone can help!!! thanks guys!!!
Old 10-12-2010, 03:42 PM
5 Year Member

Has it ever been in an accident? CARFAX?
Old 10-12-2010, 03:52 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

not sure if your poste said it, but after you got all that done and drove a week or so did you have an alignment done?
Old 10-12-2010, 04:09 PM

yes had it aligned 2 weeks after the struts and springs where installed.
Old 10-12-2010, 04:11 PM

i did a carfax on the car before i bought it, no accidents on carfax.
Old 10-12-2010, 04:22 PM

I found a post with a couple of people with the same problem but no real answers. https://www.scionlife.com/forums/sho...7+tc+tire+wear is this a common issue with these cars?
Old 10-12-2010, 05:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Location: Living in the Omaha, NE area, traveling all over the continent

This definitely sounds like an alignment problem - not a tire problem. Feathering on the inside edge is generally caused by too much camber or toe-in (toe-in naturally causes the wheel to camber a tiny bit). I know you said that you had the car aligned - are you sure that it was a 4-wheel alignment, as opposed to just a front-end alignment? If you have the spec sheet from the alignment that would be extremely helpful.
Old 10-13-2010, 02:49 PM

thanks for the reply un4scene. i did have him do a 4 wheel alignment, but did not get a print out it was a small shop one guy ownes the place and he does all the work. He was recommend to me by a bunch of people hes supposed to be the best around, but if u think it could be the alinment ill bring it to firestone some time this week and have them check it out and see what they say. once again thank u so much for your help. this issue is really driving me nut and i REALLY want to get it fixed!
Old 10-13-2010, 04:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Location: Living in the Omaha, NE area, traveling all over the continent

I'm gonna venture a guess here - the guy that worked on it is an older guy? Probably been fixing cars for 25 years or more?

Bad rear struts can cause tire wear like you're describing, but it's an issue that is pretty much exclusive to old cars - as in from the mid-'80's and earlier. I doubt that the modern multi-link suspension on the rear of the tC would have this issue. Also, pretty much any alignment rack made in the last 15 years can print out a spec sheet. Only the older ones cant, and most smaller shops can't afford to buy a new one.

However, if one or more of the bushings in the mulit-link setup was severly worn it could potentially cause this. If you're confident in the alignment then I would get those checked out.

The only other thing I can think of is that there might be something wrong with the hubs or bearings, but I would expect an experienced mechanic to check that right off the bat, and it should've been found during the alignment.

hmm....

Just out of curiosity, try a couple of things for me. First, make sure the car is parked on flat ground, and doesn't have any significant weight in it. Then measure the vertical distance between the ground and the edge of the fender along the centerline of the wheel at each corner. They should all be within about 1" of each other. Then try bouncing the car at each corner. Check for how stiff it is going down, and how much it bounces around before it settles and stops. Also, pay attention to see if you're able to bottom out the suspension (you'll feel it hit the bump-stops). All 4 corners should be pretty close to the same. If not, then there's something wrong in the suspension.

~Laken