Notices

How long before painted rims can get wet?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 07:10 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default How long before painted rims can get wet?

Hey fellas,

Just painted my rims on Saturday, let them dry overnight and installed em Sunday. Car has been garage kept since. I read in the guide that you're not supposed to get them wet for a week. But, I have to drive someone somewhere tonight and it's been raining all day and supposed to keep raining all night here in NY

Would the rain really mess up the curing process on my rims?

Any thoughts/suggestions

*I tried searching, couldn't find anything and also posted in the thread I used as the guide. But I'm not sure if I would get responses there and I need some before tonight.

Thanks
Old 03-29-2010, 08:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well they say try not to get it wet for at least a week so it can properly dry, but you should be fine,i did mine and let it dry for 24 hrs and drove it in the rain..didnt do anything besides get wet,as far as the affects mine or fine,but it should say on back of what ever paint your using how long it takes to throughly dry and stuff like that...
Old 03-29-2010, 09:08 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

That's good to hear, how long have you had your wheels painted? How are they now?

Just checked the can(Duplicolor Wheel Paint, the blue bottle)...Says 7 days for paint to cure ><
Old 03-30-2010, 12:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

when i did mine it was in the summer of last year i did it on the weekend took me about a good 1 day to do all four cause if you look at my profile pic you can see my design i did but i painted them let them sit for a few hours then carefully put them back on the car and i just let them cure for a day or so,then took my car for a ride and as of right now there still good,been through rain within that week of painting them and no issues...i do have minor scraping on the rims cause due to my error but other then that they were fine....

samething i did with my calipers when i painted them let it sit for at least a day or two and your good to go,
Old 03-30-2010, 12:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

its going on 1yr and a half since i first painted them clean up the rims a little bit,and ill look as goos as new....