my new snow tires

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2008, 04:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default my new snow tires

these are the Dunlop Graspic DS2. Happy birthday to me
my car was horrible in the snow last year with my bridgestone potenzas. so hopefully these will work out a little better.

They are the correct size to be mounted on my stock 17's, and in the spring:
18's and new tires
Old 09-25-2008, 03:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

that's not a bad idea. I've toyed with the idea of getting some new shoes, but would be kind of pointless to get some nice new 18's with summer tires with winter right around the corner. Pretty ____ed because last time I took my car into the dealer, they told me I needed new tires... I have the stock Yokohamas on there, but I have less than 20,000 milees on the car. I flat out said to the guy, "are you ____ting me?" Going to get a second opinion from a friend of mine who works over at merchants.

Have fun with your new snow tires though! It's too bad our cars aren't rear wheel, otherwise, you'd have a blast!

Ben
Old 09-25-2008, 03:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yeah, i usually didnt even drive my car in the winters. especially last winter.

go to the tirerack.com they usually have good deals.
Old 09-25-2008, 03:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by WhiskeyMassacre
Pretty ____ed because last time I took my car into the dealer, they told me I needed new tires... I have the stock Yokohamas on there, but I have less than 20,000 milees on the car. I flat out said to the guy, "are you ____ting me?"
thats why they call it a stealership
Old 09-25-2008, 04:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

nice buy! how i don't miss snow tires....
Old 09-25-2008, 04:48 AM
5 Year Member

Default Does anyone know if 15" wheels will work

Does anyone know if 15" wheels will work with the tc? I heard somewhere that the tC disc brakes and calipers are at least dimensionally the same as what's on a Celica GT-S. Does anyone know where I could look to verify this?

Not sure if this is true. If it is, then I'm pretty sure i'll be cleared to get the following: 185/65R15 Bridgestone Blizzak WS-60 on 15X6.5" rims. $604 for a full set of wheels and tires. (Mounted and balanced, shipping and tax not included)

The reasoning behind all this is that I want to get snow tires without breaking the bank or compromizing winter grip. (A wider tire offers much less traction in the snow.) I live in Rhinelander, Wisconsin and got stuck a lot last year with high performance all seasons on stock rims.
Old 09-25-2008, 05:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Does anyone know if 15" wheels will work

Originally Posted by moots13181
Does anyone know if 15" wheels will work with the tc? I heard somewhere that the tC disc brakes and calipers are at least dimensionally the same as what's on a Celica GT-S. Does anyone know where I could look to verify this?

Not sure if this is true. If it is, then I'm pretty sure i'll be cleared to get the following: 185/65R15 Bridgestone Blizzak WS-60 on 15X6.5" rims. $604 for a full set of wheels and tires. (Mounted and balanced, shipping and tax not included)

The reasoning behind all this is that I want to get snow tires without breaking the bank or compromizing winter grip. (A wider tire offers much less traction in the snow.) I live in Rhinelander, Wisconsin and got stuck a lot last year with high performance all seasons on stock rims.
i THINK so, but i know someone more knowledgeable than me will respond with for sure answer about the 15's.

and the tires that i got were a present for my birthday. pretty expensive i hear.

last winter was horrible with the stock rims and tires. my car was a sled. I'm in wisconsin too. not very stock tire-friendly in winter.
Old 09-25-2008, 05:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by toeveryhour
nice buy! how i don't miss snow tires....
thanks! and i've never had new snow tires before... should be interesting. the fact that they are the size to fit on my stock rims will prbly decrease the performance, but watevs, at least im not on steelys!
Old 09-26-2008, 08:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by WhiskeyMassacre
Pretty ____ed because last time I took my car into the dealer, they told me I needed new tires... I have the stock Yokohamas on there, but I have less than 20,000 milees on the car. I flat out said to the guy, "are you ____ting me?" Going to get a second opinion from a friend of mine who works over at merchants.
Can't you tell by looking at them yourself? Is there any tread left, and if so, how deep is it? Look at the wear indicator bars, is their depth even with the tread? You can also use a penny to check tread depth and determine whether you need new tires or not.

Not sure why you'd be ____ed with the stocks Yokos not lasting too long, but it doesn't matter how long they last, if they're worn out, you need new tires. My car came stock with the Yokos too, and at just 13,000 miles the tread is totally gone (at least they wore very evenly), I'm over due for new tires. I've got far less life out of them than you, but I'm not ____ed, in fact in a way I'm glad, because the stock Yokos don't stick for jack.
Old 09-27-2008, 11:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

20k out of stock yoko's is about normal. if you rotate any low profile tire at the toyota recommended 5000 miles, you're killing the tires.

3000 mile rotations is much better for any low profile tire. That helps it last longer.

the snow tires look great! you should definitely be better off this winter!
Old 09-29-2008, 02:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

Default Re: Does anyone know if 15" wheels will work

Originally Posted by shupes31
Originally Posted by moots13181

i THINK so, but i know someone more knowledgeable than me will respond with for sure answer about the 15's.

and the tires that i got were a present for my birthday. pretty expensive i hear.

last winter was horrible with the stock rims and tires. my car was a sled. I'm in wisconsin too. not very stock tire-friendly in winter.
15s will clear stock brakes....

i have Hankook Winter tires (they are directional) and are amazing in the rain and pretty damn good in the snow, i didnt get stuck once last winter. the only thing that sucks is they are horrible on Dry pavement.
Old 10-07-2008, 04:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

for this winter i bought myself winter tires too cause last winter was pain in the arsee...
I bought yokohamas avs winter 225/45/17 for only 200 nice deal huh
Old 10-12-2008, 07:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

nice they look like mine basically, i have some blizzaks and they are great i feel like im driving an suv lol
Old 10-12-2008, 10:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Balliztik
SL Member

In Washington we do not get real snow.........we get an inch then it melts and freezes into a sheet of ice and then we slide all over like idiots......I prefer to buy a nice bottle of rum and stay home from work when it snows...
Old 10-12-2008, 10:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

nice. I'm rocking Semperit Sport Grips on my Steel wheels. def much better then stockies.
Old 10-13-2008, 12:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

I have 15" steelies with 195/65/15 Dunlop Winter Sport M3's on them; no clearance problems. Though now that I have the coilovers, I'll definitely want to raise them up with the winter wheels so I can get more wheel well space during the snow (I seem to get slush buildup after driving during snowstorms), and more clearance for the mud / pothole season up to April.