Notices

noise - front tire section - while driving

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2009, 12:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Default noise - front tire section - while driving

So i brought my car to the dealer today because there was a noise comming from the front end of the car. It appears it has something to do with the wheels because the engine sounds fine. These are the facts:

it makes a cling cling cling noise but lower pitches ... like if you ran over a bird and it got caught up in the wheel well. ha.

it only does it sometimes and only after 15+ minutes of driving

i have the stop tech rotor/pad/line package and stock calipers and wheels.

The service guys heard the noise when going for a long drive but couldnt reproduce it on the lift. They said they did a full safety inspection and checked everything they could ...no luck.

SO - i needed an oil change and tire rotation so atleast that was done. Only problem is - i dont know what the heck the issue is. Anybody have any questions or comments?
Old 06-12-2009, 02:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

anybody? i have my car back and 15min into driveing i hear the clunking sound ....then it goes away....then it comes back. its driving me crazy - 4 guys at the dealer could not pinpoint what it was
Old 06-13-2009, 02:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

bump
Old 06-13-2009, 05:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Is it still coming from the front end even after the rotation? If it is I doubt it's a tire issue
Old 06-13-2009, 05:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Yup. That was my logic for telling the dealer to rotate the tires. I know its not the engine and not the tires. I emailed stoptech to ask them. I'm thinking its something up with the brake pad, caliper, or rotor. I just need someone that knows more about this subject to give some words to help me troubleshoot this.
Old 06-13-2009, 06:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

hmm..maybe take off the front tires and have a friend press on the brake and see how the pads are moving in the caliper? Or take the calipers off and make sure the pads are secured and in the proper positions.

Did you put all the necessary lubrication on the pads when you put them on (anti sieze, that blue/red stuff that keeps bolts from moving..can't remember the name lol, and so on)? And i'm assuming the symptom occurs regardless of if you are turning or in a straight line?

Sorry if some of the things I'm suggesting are obvious but just trying to help and throw things out you may or may not have thought of yet
Old 06-13-2009, 06:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Originally Posted by XIEmperorIX
hmm..maybe take off the front tires and have a friend press on the brake and see how the pads are moving in the caliper? Or take the calipers off and make sure the pads are secured and in the proper positions.

Did you put all the necessary lubrication on the pads when you put them on (anti sieze, that blue/red stuff that keeps bolts from moving..can't remember the name lol, and so on)? And i'm assuming the symptom occurs regardless of if you are turning or in a straight line?

Sorry if some of the things I'm suggesting are obvious but just trying to help and throw things out you may or may not have thought of yet
the dealer had the car on a lift and 3 people looking at - they couldnt figure it out. The brakes have been on for a year now with no issues. If something was loose it would keep happening. This doesnt start happening till after something gets hot ...i think. I just went for a drive and no issues till after im moving for 15min - then at that point it comes and goes. Its never clanging nonstop - it comes and goes. I am wondering if it stops when my brakes get cooler ...then back again when they get hotter .... or when i go over 50 the friction will cause more heat .. just like when im stopping hard over and over in traffic.
Old 06-13-2009, 08:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Oh ok..sorry if I was virtually no help lol If I come across any other possibilities i'll let you know but I'm fresh out
Old 06-13-2009, 08:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

^its all good - thanks for the reply though. Im trying to get as many posts in so others can help me - so your words helped. thanks.
Old 06-14-2009, 02:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by jwaggz82
^its all good - thanks for the reply though. Im trying to get as many posts in so others can help me - so your words helped. thanks.
okay couple of questions/thoughts

- does the clang clang noise continue to happen while braking?
- does the noise happen when turning?

- does the noise happen on acceleration, coasting, decelerating? or doesn't matter?
Old 06-14-2009, 02:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Originally Posted by sciontc_mich

- does the noise happen on acceleration, coasting, decelerating? or doesn't matter?
doesnt happen when turning and it seems that it happens when i am cruzing at 50-60mph. Then sometimes it has happened when going very slow at stop lights. But at the stop lights it was when i was almost home after 30-35min of driving home
Old 06-14-2009, 04:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by sciontc_mich

doesnt happen when turning and it seems that it happens when i am cruzing at 50-60mph. Then sometimes it has happened when going very slow at stop lights. But at the stop lights it was when i was almost home after 30-35min of driving home
okay and does the noise disappear when braking at those speeds? get louder? what does it do when braking?
Old 06-14-2009, 05:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well if the sound occurred during turning, which it doesn't, it would most likely be a CV joint issue. Just throwing it out there.

Typically a sound like that, I deem, occurs due to metal grinding against metal. So either there is no lubrication which is causing the sound, or maybe there is some sort of fault. I would say check the brake pads, the rotors, and the calipers. Because if the sound appears after 15 mins, I'm sure that you have been using your brakes. And the friction concept proposed earlier might play an important role in this debilitating issue.

Other than the braking system, I honestly have no clue what it could be.
Old 06-16-2009, 04:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Ok - so i went to my parents house and jacked up my front right tire (where the noise was) and bent the heat shield and also fixed the sensor which was strait back and left. That was connected to the exhaust pipe and the wire was dangling. The sensor was plugged in bu the plastic clip was not holding it in place. I also have a check engine light and it might be for that sensor. Anybody know wha the name of that sensor is below the header (and you can see it if you take the pass tire off and stare into the wheel well.

So - it has been 2 days and have not heard the noise yet. I would think that if the heat shield was the issue it would have made a rubbing sound. This sound was a thumping kind of sound.
Old 06-19-2009, 08:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^^ so are we talking the dust shield behind the rotor? or the exhaust heat shield?
Old 06-19-2009, 08:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

abs sensor ?
Old 06-19-2009, 12:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

nah i guess its an o2 sensor - it was screwed into the exhaust fine but the white clip wasnt holding i to the car ...so the whole thing was bouncing around. also, i moved the heat/dust shield 1/4 inch away from the rotor - it wasnt a scraping sound that i was hearing but it was darn close in one spot.
Old 06-19-2009, 03:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ohhh so now it's fixed.. good deal!
Old 06-19-2009, 03:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ohhh so now it's fixed.. good deal!
Old 06-19-2009, 06:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

I guess - things seem fine. I just have to find out what sensor that was cause my check engine light is on - it was throwing code p0037 or 09 or something - i forget. i pulled the code off my scangauge