Notices

problems with brakes or rotors? or both?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2009, 07:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default problems with brakes or rotors? or both?

i have an 08 tc with 38k miles.
when i come to a stop my brakes squeak a little,ive had this issue with the pads since i got them, they are hawk performance pads. they work great but they are way to noisy and dusty. i checked the pads, the pads are still like new, so i know i dont need new ones.

in any event, like i said when i stop they squeak, but from about 10mph to 0 it sounds like they are grinding...the brakes are still like new.

are my rotors warping?

i have stock rotors still and the only time im ever really hard on the brakes is when im racing.... the grinding didnt start happening until last night, i WAS racing and i was going from high speeds to a stop, but i was taking it easy when i was slowing down.but i figured it was just from change in temperature that was making them sound like they were grinding, but this morning, still doing the same thing. any idea whats up?
Old 10-02-2009, 09:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You have performance pads... they squeal and are dusty. That's just how they are.
Old 10-02-2009, 10:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Yup... you can bed them in and see if it helps. You can also apply an anti squeal compound to the backs of the pads and that may help. But in the end a lot of performance pads are noisy.
Old 10-03-2009, 06:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by SteveTC_RS_4-0
i have an 08 tc with 38k miles.
when i come to a stop my brakes squeak a little,ive had this issue with the pads since i got them, they are hawk performance pads. they work great but they are way to noisy and dusty. i checked the pads, the pads are still like new, so i know i dont need new ones.

in any event, like i said when i stop they squeak, but from about 10mph to 0 it sounds like they are grinding...the brakes are still like new.

are my rotors warping?

i have stock rotors still and the only time im ever really hard on the brakes is when im racing.... the grinding didnt start happening until last night, i WAS racing and i was going from high speeds to a stop, but i was taking it easy when i was slowing down.but i figured it was just from change in temperature that was making them sound like they were grinding, but this morning, still doing the same thing. any idea whats up?
did your brakes come with shims? The metal clip on kind, not that cheap stick on ones. If they did come with the cheap stick-on kind, I'd remove them and put on the Toyota metal shims instead. I'd suggest seeing if one or both shims (two per pad from Toyota) would help quiet it up.

here's the part number for the front (Toyota)
04945-13030 SHIM KIT, ANTI SQUEAL, FRONT

and there is brake grease from toyota, thick, sticky stuff about $40 a tube that you apply the the back of the pad, and then put the shim on (if you're only putting one on, that's what i'd suggest first)

08887-80609 Disk Brake Caliper Grease is the part number for that.

Last edited by sciontc_mich; 10-03-2009 at 08:36 PM.
Old 10-04-2009, 01:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Definitely make sure you used the shims. That is a mistake some people make (leaving them out altogether). And I too recommend re-using the stock ones along with some anti squeal/brake grease.