Notices

Scion tC on 22's?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2007, 04:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i dont know how its going to look but this 350 on 22 looks greattssss

and this really looks ghetto gansta [/img]http://classiccarworks.net/sitebuild...s/im000022.jpg
Old 06-20-2007, 05:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

That 350 looks like horrible ghettoness! Why would someone do that to a nice car? Sorry, the wagon wheels will just never appeal to me.
Old 06-20-2007, 07:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

now that looks excessive. my car flows
Old 06-20-2007, 07:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

the z above looks like one of those infinity crossovers... like a damned monster truck
Old 06-20-2007, 08:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

that z aint ****!!! hahaha

Old 06-20-2007, 11:15 PM
SL Member

haha that 350z looks terrible. sports coupes should never go over 18 inchs IMO. i think smaller wheels with a drop looks better then monster truck wheels. the only coupe i would put 19's on is a g35 coupe. i think 18's are ideal for most cars. 19's and up belong of trucks, and suv's. Maybe some large sedans ( s500 or bmw 7 series).

IMO, the tC looks best with a nice 17 or 18inch wheel. anything bigger is stupid and if u go smaller u need a serious drop to fill the gap.
Old 06-20-2007, 11:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ok i gotta correct you. its not stupid, c'mon now. your opinion is you dont like anything over 18's, thats cool. but calling it stupid? please explain to me how its stupid? having 24's and 26's on a car can be considered stupid because it is unsafe. now what about 20s on a tc. why is that stupid. enlighten me. i have no driving issues with my car and i have better then a factory quality ride. doesnt sound stupid to me.
Old 06-20-2007, 11:34 PM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

I wont get into thise whole debate about on a tC. But to the people who say 20s are horrible for performance and do not belong on coupes, YOU CANT USE THAT AS A BLANKET STATEMENT. Below is a pretty good reason why:

(like the car or not, you cant say the wheels look out of place, or the handling is horrible, or performance hurt)

2007 Ferrari 599 GTB 20x11 wheels

The company claims a top speed in excess of 330 km/h (205mph), 3.7 second sprint to 100 km/h (62 mph), and 11.0 to 200 km/h (124 mph

Old 06-21-2007, 02:10 PM
SL Member

Originally Posted by pollup
ok i gotta correct you. its not stupid, c'mon now. your opinion is you dont like anything over 18's, thats cool. but calling it stupid? please explain to me how its stupid? having 24's and 26's on a car can be considered stupid because it is unsafe. now what about 20s on a tc. why is that stupid. enlighten me. i have no driving issues with my car and i have better then a factory quality ride. doesnt sound stupid to me.
okay so maybe stupid wasnt the best word of choice, but be serious the tC is a small compact car. 20's look out of place on a tC. It doesnt flow right and how can your ride quailty be better now then before if u only have 3/4 an inch of rubber between you and the road. And ur speedo probably doesnt read correctly now. but if u see the picture of the ferrari u would say it looks good because the car is larger and takes the wheel in. your car IMO now looks like an r/c car cause it doesnt look proportionate. And with those wheels because they are bigger probably weigh alot more so it will hamper your performance.
Old 06-21-2007, 02:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

get 'em pollup
Old 06-21-2007, 02:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

okay so maybe stupid wasnt the best word of choice, but be serious the tC is a small compact car. 20's look out of place on a tC. It doesnt flow right and how can your ride quailty be better now then before if u only have 3/4 an inch of rubber between you and the road. And ur speedo probably doesnt read correctly now. but if u see the picture of the ferrari u would say it looks good because the car is larger and takes the wheel in. your car IMO now looks like an r/c car cause it doesnt look proportionate. And with those wheels because they are bigger probably weigh alot more so it will hamper your performance.[/quote]

are you kidding? a ferrari is not a big car. and on top of that the physical size of my rim and tire is less then 1/2 inch bigger then factory. the speedometer is correct. all these things need to be taken into account prior to installation.

it doesnt necessarily matter how much rubber is between you and the road. i have a 1200 dollar suspension. believe me, my car rides much better then factory. the factory ride of a tc is kinda bouncy, the trd springs are a little bouncier, and the megan coilovers are extremely bouncy. the b&g's are outstanding.

and as far as the wheels "hampering" my performance, please do a profile check before you make these comments. i have lost at most 5 to 10 whp with the 20's. Thats nothing when your pushing 300. Believe me, I dont miss it.

notice 1 thing about the tc, the wheel well isnt super tall, but its fairly wide. the 20s fill not only the top gap, but the side to side gap. thats why i didnt like the 18's on there. i had a huge gap in the front. even with big tires the game looks inappropraite.
Old 06-21-2007, 02:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
1UP Crew
SL Member

donks for the win
Old 06-21-2007, 02:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

a few things about the ferrari:

The car was designed for those rims, so axle strength and power considerations (plenty of power on that car obviously) were taken into account by the designers

Ferraris are not designed for a smooth ride, they are designed for handling and performance. they are one of the few cars actually built for function first, then comfort. You dont by one and complain about a rough ride unless you are a moron with too much money.

They run 11 inch wide wheels, so they are not just taller, but much wider.

You cant in any way compare a car designed to run those wheels and tires to a low powered fwd 4 banger sitting on oversized rims. On these cars, you are not gaining anything (and anyone who says thier ride is better with 20s and super lo-pro tires is not being honest with themselves, you have much less give in the sidewall leading to a bumpier ride) by running 20's unless you just think they look good. They are typically heavier, run a larger diameter (the amount of tq needed to produce the same forward acceleration is proportional to diameter change) unless they have rubber bands for tires, run a high risk of being destroyed by a pothole due to those super low pro tires, etc. Zero benefit, and actually a loss, other than looks if that is the look you like.

I absolutely hate oversized rims on cars, but, if it is still safe, and the person likes it then more power to them. We all have our own opinions of what looks good. Donks, on the other hand should be illegal considering they make the car dangerous and hard to drive. The people who do that are morons all the way. But people need to realize that what looks good to them doesnt necesarrilly mean it is better peformance wise.
Old 06-21-2007, 03:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

That ferrari also runs 19s in front, 20s in the rear. The fronts have a 40 series tire and the rear a 35.

With the tire widths used they all have a sidewall approx 4 inches tall, which is the same as a tC on stock rims. So overall they are not running rubber bands on oversized tires, because the wheel well cutout was designed to run the proper size tire on that rim. So no comparison to what we are discussing here really. The cutouts also ensure the wheel doesnt look out of place, again all considered during design of the car.

And lets not forget that car is supposed to put down over 600 hp
Old 06-21-2007, 03:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

axle strength and power considerations were designed for the motor, not the rims. the rims were designed for that car, not vice versa.

ferraris do have a sport suspension, they are a sports car.

your right, you cant compare that car to a low powered 4 banger. but i dont have a low powered 4 banger either. i couldnt imagine driving on my rims with the motor factory. i have "MORE" then enough horsepower to turn the extra mass. considering with the 20's i can spin all gears without trying.

in theory yes the ride should be rougher because of a smaller tire. in reality your rims absorb alot of the shock from the road. rim design is a huge factor in how well your car rides. then suspension on the other hand is the other factory. on a factory suspension yes my tc would probably ride extremely rough. a factory tc's suspension blows. its too jumpy and the spring setup is all wrong. didnt feel good to me. ask anyone with the b&g coilovers. the suspension ride is 100 times better then factory. so maybe im flippin retarded but im pretty sure i can tell if my car is riding rougher then before.
when i had my 5 star 18's on the car it rode rough as hell. so all in all i would not comment on something i havnt expereience first hand with my car alone. feel free to mimic the setup if your still doubting but i can only comment on my setup..

and as far as cracking a rim or wheel your just as likely to get in an accident. doesnt matter the tire size if you know how to drive a car on a low profile you will be fine. some things in life are unavoidable. i like the look, i like the tires, i have not blown one out or bent a rim. people blow out and bend rims on 18's, but it doesnt make them safer. all in how you hit the bump. this thread is honestly pointless. im not replying to any more ignorance on here.

(also in your statement about the car being designed for it im guessing i should take my turbo kit off, take off my aftermarket radio and just about every other custom because my car wasnt designed for it right?)
Old 06-21-2007, 03:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

No, my point is that the ferrari comes with larger rims because it was all considered in design. For that car, those size rims and tires fit the application.

And axle strength IS considered in wheel size. Put a 24 inch rim on our car (if it would fit.) and romp on it for a while, tell me how long your axles and CV joints last.

If you keep the same power, and up the overall diameter by 10% lets say, it takes more torque at the axle to move the car the same way as before. This means to drive it just like you did before the wheel change, you are running 10% more torque (on the throttle more) all the time, thus putting more strain on everything. There is no arguing that. That is why the moron running the donk on the dragstrip watched his axle and wheel pass him. A much more extreme example, but the same concept.

Unless you find some 20's that are lighter than the 17's, you are placing more strain on the suspension and steering components than you were stock. The designers DO take wheel weight and size into consideration, as it is part of the gearing and performance aspects of the car.

A larger diameter overall also means you are placing more torque on the axle when stopping... this means your stock sized brakes are doing more work to bring it to a stop.

All of those things are detriments on a car not set up to run larger wheels. There is zero benefit anywhere in it performance wise. On the ferari, they built everything strong enough and large enough to compensate for those changes to start with. They dont design a car, then say "lets put x wheel on it". The whole system is taken into account when you properly design something.

Now to your point of not putting anything aftermarket on the car. I never said that. You like your wheels, and I think that is great. I dont expect to agree on the looks, that is subjective. What you are running is not making your car an unsafe monster like the donk boys are. So run what you like.. hell, slap on a giant pink wing if that is your thing, that is the joy of modding cars. But, saying that the ferari is the same running large wheels as running them on our car is incorrect. And saying they give any performance gain at all is incorrect in this case. You did it for looks and that is great. But that is it. None of what I have posted has been "ignorance" unless you can prove anything I just said above is wrong.
Old 06-21-2007, 03:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

LivNLo94, has your curiousity been satisfied yet??
Old 06-21-2007, 04:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i agree with those statements. but lets be real, im pushing 300 hp. a little extra torque is nothing compared to the amount of stress put on the drive train. and if the stress was the case no one should ever bump up the size or weight of their rims because it will cause more stress. most customs people do cause more stress in one way or another. electrically and mechanically. i definitely put my wheels on for looks, i like the way they look. i wouldnt drag my car in them, thats why i still have factorys. to beat up on. my rims are slightly heavier, maybe a pound then factories. so its not a huge difference. there is definitely more stress on the braking system.. the ignorance i was refering to was the ride quality. it is possible to get better ride quality and still have smaller tires. its all in the setup. and im sure after even more tweeking i can further improve my suspension. as my car sits now, slammed to the ground on 20's with candywraps, it rides better then it did stock. its purely opinion and there is no hard evidence on this because it is an opinion basis.
Old 06-21-2007, 04:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Hey pollup don't get mad they just want to ride like us. 20's look damn good to me

Old 06-21-2007, 04:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

perfect example, it fills the wide along with the tall gap.. its not the fact that i think im the only one on 20's, there is tons of us. that tc in the background of your photo looks to be on 20's.

Quick Reply: Scion tC on 22's?