Notices

Stock TC rims - Tire options

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2005, 02:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Stock TC rims - Tire options

I'm possibly going to look over the next few months at switching out the Potenzas I got on my TC for something that might be more NJ winter friendly.

I am a total rim and tire n00bie, so I need some hand holding.

I saw teh thread about the tire options but it seems very xb centric.

My main question is what tires can I put on the stock rims, and what effects do tire dimension changes have.

From a personal aethetics standpoint, I'd probably want a tire which is wider than the stock (the potenzas seem to go inwards from the rim edge - is that what staggered means?), I'd also maybe like something that is less low-profile so it fills the wheel well better.

I'm assuming this 'larger' tire would be a negative in terms of weight and acceleration?

I tried to read a few sites that explain the W215/40 blah blah, but that just confused me more.

Any input greatly apprciated, if anyone has a TC witha tire setup like how I described above, I'd love to see some pix.

Many thanks,

AJ
Old 08-20-2005, 03:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

if you go wider .. you need to stay at the same diameter on the tire because you dont want your odometer/speedometer to be off .. so from 215/45-17s you could go with 235/40-17s .. and its just about the same diameter .. ya just have to be careful about the rim width .. 7" may not support a much bigger size .. and personally i have to go with the Pirelli PZero Neros .. i love them .. they make the car corner better and overall performance is improved and they are less expensive then bridgestones .. heres a few pics .. i dont have a really good new pic of just my tire .. heres the link to a big pic of the tire on http://www.tirerack.com .. http://www.tirerack.com/tires/BigPic...omCompare1=yes

here are some pics of the Pirellis on my car:

Old 08-20-2005, 06:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

FYI, our fitment team only recommends one optional tire size for your 2006 tC. I have listed the specifications of your O.E. tire and the optional recommendation for your review below:

215/45ZR17 = your O.E. Tire Size and your O.E. wheels are17 X 7.0"

Rim Width Range...... 7.00 to 8.00
Measure Rim Width.... 7.00
Section Width........ 8.6
Tread Width.......... 7.1
Overall Diameter..... 24.6
Revs. Per Mile....... 847
Tire Weight.......... 23.000

225/45ZR17 The Recommended Optional Size

Rim Width Range...... 7.00 to 8.50
Measure Rim Width.... 7.50
Section Width........ 9.0
Tread Width.......... 8.4
Overall Diameter..... 25.0
Revs. Per Mile....... 833
Tire Weight.......... 25.000

For more information please visit our site at http://www.tirerack.com/a.jsp?a=DJ1&...ires/index.jsp, or for personal service, feel free to give me a call. If ordering on-line, please enter my name in the "Previous Contact" area and I will be glad to keep an eye on the order for you.
Old 08-20-2005, 11:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

"you need to stay at the same diameter on the tire because you dont want your odometer/speedometer to be off"

So why do people with 19" rims talk about them rubbing, is that a cross width issue rathe than a circular width one?
Old 08-21-2005, 02:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by angry jonnie
"you need to stay at the same diameter on the tire because you dont want your odometer/speedometer to be off"

So why do people with 19" rims talk about them rubbing, is that a cross width issue rathe than a circular width one?
thats because alot of the times people put slightly taller tires on their 19's to give them a little bit more of a sidewall .. and yeah .. added width to the tire could lead to rubbing or hitting on the rear tires .. for the most part .. ya wanna stick within the given "plus 0, 1, 2, 3" standards when upgrading rim size .. for example ..
215/45ZR17s
plus 0
235/40ZR17s
plus 1
215/40ZR18s (but alot of people are using 225/40ZR18s)
plus 2
215/35ZR19s
plus 3
215/30ZR20s
but of course you can vary the width of the tire to equal out any required tire diameter ..
the taller diameter tire .. the more off your speed/odo will be and there will be more chance for rubbing ..