Notices

tC in the snow

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2006, 04:59 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default tC in the snow

I live in Phoenix so this was the first time I had driven my tC in snow (Flagstaff, AZ). I have to say that even though I did a nice little 180 on a mountain road, it handled better than I expected. I'll be up in Flagstaff alot next year, do any of you think snow tires make a noticable difference? Stories?

Old 03-25-2006, 05:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
ScionERA
SL Member

I have lived in Tucson for the last 10yrs but I just have to say how much I love the snow. Havn't been up to Flag in a while, but I go up to the White Mts. about once a year and I love it.

I wouldn't purchase snow tires for a couple of reasons. Flag really doesn't get that bad and when your living in Phoenix, you're probably not going to go through the hassle of putting on the snow tires.

Like you said, it handles reasonably well (thank you FWD) and practice makes perfect. In other words, after a couple of drives through it, you'll be fine.
Old 03-25-2006, 06:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I manage a shop which deals mostly in tires and oil changes; to answer your questions, yes snow tires make a HUGE difference in traction abilities during the winter months. Some quick recommendations, if you decide to put snows on, mount them on all four positions, not just the front. Also studs have their place but in most cases they are not needed. Michelin makes a great snow tire that I personally have had on my car, well worth the money here in ny, especially if you don’t sit inside all winter long.

Old 03-25-2006, 09:32 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by dskinner
I have lived in Tucson for the last 10yrs but I just have to say how much I love the snow. Havn't been up to Flag in a while, but I go up to the White Mts. about once a year and I love it.

I wouldn't purchase snow tires for a couple of reasons. Flag really doesn't get that bad and when your living in Phoenix, you're probably not going to go through the hassle of putting on the snow tires.

Like you said, it handles reasonably well (thank you FWD) and practice makes perfect. In other words, after a couple of drives through it, you'll be fine.
I get what you mean. I'll be driving up there at least once a month (probably more) but I don't think it's worth the money or effort until I move up there. I go to Wyoming alot so I have practice driving there, but in heavier cars. I have to say though that I think my tC handles better in snow than it does in heavy rain.
Old 03-26-2006, 12:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

living up in the snowy midwest, we've had plenty of practice this year on ours. I was surprised how well my wife's TC has done in the snow. Ours does spin a bit starting off ( having the extra sc power i'm sure doesn't help ), but is actually about the same for snow traction as her most recent front drivers ( including a Civic sedan, an Alero, & a couple Civic coupes ). We both drive 15-18k per year, much of it main hiway/roads, and if it's "real bad" i'll let her take my suv and i'll run the TC. But again, we've never spun out, and never lost control. I've seen plenty of other cars/suvs that I've passed in ditches, so it's not always the car--many times it's the driver.
I don't know if southern TC's get the same m&s tires stock we do; but these on ours have been decent enough.
I would add though that if we didn't have an all wheel drive as our other vehicle and had to depend only on a TC in harsh winter, then I would agree that 4 snow tires would make sense. Big thing on braking: let the ABS do the work, don't pump the brakes.
It's kinda funny: living up here our whole lives; we could see moving south and getting away from this white stuff... and people from the south try to go to the snow...
Old 03-26-2006, 06:25 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hm, okay. I don't think I can afford snow tires but I will consider it if there is a huge difference. I guess I'll see how it goes next year. Eventually I'll hijack my sister's new Hummer and test that in the snow as well. Too bad there aren't many big, empty parking lots in Flagstaff.