Notices

Tire Pressure Recalibration...

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2006, 10:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

just read it and apparently some manufacturers are counting on their carry-backward credits.
Old 08-05-2006, 01:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

Glad I don't have an 07. Stupid technology.
Old 08-05-2006, 08:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

as some of the tires i've had on cars, i've seen a lot of out-of-round, unbalanceable tires.. lots of defectives.. now they put this sensor on there.. you can bet that's going to really affect a lot of these tires the tire makers are putting out there..

in other words, the tire dealers are going to have a lot of vibration complaints.. even with a perfect tire, it would require an equal amount of counterweight for it to be balance, because of this sensor.

Wow i feel sorry for all those returns of people at the tire dealers when all these cars that have this system come in for vibration complaints.. the tire manufacturers are going to have a lot of complaints on their hands because of "marginal" balanceable tires.. they'll just be unbalanceable throwing this sensor inside when a tire is "marginal"..

glad i don't have that system on mine.. no thanks..
Old 08-07-2006, 05:29 AM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Here is the TSB: http://tijil.org/Scion_TSBs/pd03806.pdf

Tomas
Old 08-07-2006, 12:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

wow all that to calibrate it? and all we have to do right now is push a button and let it blink three times..

i was thinking they were also wanting a sample of my blood, some dna, and a fingerprint test to calibrate it!! ha ha ha sheesh
Old 08-07-2006, 12:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

yeah.. this system really is too much. The old way (like ours) does the job just fine. It lets you know when you have a low tire when it is important.. while you are moving.
Old 08-07-2006, 06:54 PM
5 Year Member

Default 2007 Scion tC Tire Feature Document

I have found the document that explains exactly how the new tire pressure sensor system works. I also called the dealer and I'm praying that they are wrong about the cost of the part numbers provided below. I wasn't planning on spending an additional $500 to put on a new set of rims and tires.

04423-0010 Tire Valve Assembly $7.14 ea. (4 required = $28.56)
42607-33011 Valve & Transmitter $115.29 ea. (4 required = $461.16)
90942-05039 Valve Cap $3.00 ea. (4 required = $12.00)

http://www.operation07.com/tirepres.pdf
Old 08-07-2006, 08:08 PM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Kent, my undersanding is that the assemblies CAN be moved from one set of wheels to another (assuming that the assembly will fit the internal design of the wheel), so there is no need to purchase new transmitters unless (1) one had failed, (2) you gave away or sold the old wheels WITH the transmitters still attached, or (3) you will be keeping more than one set of tires/wheels ready-to-roll on your car.

I suspect most folks will simply move the valves and transmitters from their old wheels to the new.

I understand the internal batteries in the transmitters have roughly a 5 year lifespan, but from the documentation you provided, the batteries are not replacable - the entire transmitter/valve assembly needs to be replaced.
If the lithium battery is depleted, replace the tire pressure warning valve and transmitter.
...I also expect that the transmitters WILL NOT fit some aftermarket wheels, no matter what one does. In fact, this is also from your documentation:
If any of the conditions listed below exists, the tire pressure warning system may not operate properly.
Facilities or devices that use similar radio frequencies are located in vicinity of the vehicle.
A radio device operating on a similar frequency is used in the vehicle.
A lot of snow or ice is stuck to the vehicle, especially onto the wheels and around the wheel wells.
The battery of the sensor has been depleted.
Wheels without tire pressure warning valve and transmitters are used.
Non-genuine wheels are used.
Tire chains are used.
Depending on the type of tire, the tire pressure warning system may not operate properly even when TOYOTA genuine wheels are used.
Tomas
Old 08-07-2006, 08:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

I bet you can replace the battery if you really want to :D As long as you can cut open the sensor and then seal it well when you put it back together
Old 08-30-2006, 03:53 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

One thing to remeber with tire sensors on the wheels is TO TELL THE TIRE SHOP WORKING ON YOUR WHEELS!!! Since this is new, and most of these cars wont be coming in for new tires anytime soon, you have to tell them about the sensors or they could be damaged when they take the tire off the wheel. Some shops keep up with the new cars pretty well, but they may forget to tell the tech.

I worked in a tire shop, and while if they are damaged the shop will replace them, you'll have to make a second trip.

*NOTE*

This does not matter on tire rotations, only when you have the tire taken off the wheel for whatever reason, flat, new tires, etc.
Old 09-13-2006, 10:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

I just swapped rims on my '07 and ta-da my tire pressure warning light is on. Looking at my old rims - I see why- the sensor is pretty clearly right there on the valve stem. What I want to know - is how can i disable the warning light? I really dont care about having this fancy (lol) warning system built into my car. If I ever replace the rubber, I'll have them throw these back into the car - but until then they'll be in the trunk. I just want the warning light to go out. Anyone?
Old 09-25-2006, 05:30 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

lol, desolder the LED out
Old 10-04-2006, 02:12 AM
5 Year Member

When I order my 07 tc, I plan to swap out my rims immedietly, my ? is does the shop charge more to change out the factory tire pressure moniters? Cause that sounds like a ____ load of extra work...they will have to take each stock tire off of each rim, take out the valve stems, then put them on my aftermarket wheels. Scion did a poor job, if this car is for modifying, and you have to do all this extra work with the rims...which is most likely everyones first mod. just my 2 cents.
Old 10-04-2006, 02:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

No its not any more work- they will charge you to mount your old rubber anyway (assuming you are keeping it) the monitor is just a little unit built right onto the valve stem. They need to put new valve stems in wheels whenever they mount it. They might tell you that it wont fit in your aftermarket wheels. If they say that - take a look for yourself. To simplify - just tell them - "put my valve stems from my original wheels into my new ones"
Old 11-01-2006, 02:36 AM
aen
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: 2007 Scion tC Tire Feature Document

Originally Posted by beckham388
I have found the document that explains exactly how the new tire pressure sensor system works. I also called the dealer and I'm praying that they are wrong about the cost of the part numbers provided below. I wasn't planning on spending an additional $500 to put on a new set of rims and tires.

04423-0010 Tire Valve Assembly $7.14 ea. (4 required = $28.56)
42607-33011 Valve & Transmitter $115.29 ea. (4 required = $461.16)
90942-05039 Valve Cap $3.00 ea. (4 required = $12.00)

http://www.operation07.com/tirepres.pdf

sadly. thats just about right. when working for a ford, ive broken my fair share of transmitters/ each at about 124$
Old 11-01-2006, 02:38 AM
aen
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

also. the labor in taking it out and putting it into new rims should REALLY not cost alot. less than a hundred bucks for sure. we used to do it for 20-30 bucks.
Old 12-25-2006, 04:16 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

im surprised that nobody figured out a way to bypass it. If there is no bypass by spring, I may be disasembling my guage cluster to cover up the light, so I can put on aftermarket wheels.
Old 12-26-2006, 10:26 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by joeny1980
No its not any more work- they will charge you to mount your old rubber anyway (assuming you are keeping it) the monitor is just a little unit built right onto the valve stem. They need to put new valve stems in wheels whenever they mount it. They might tell you that it wont fit in your aftermarket wheels. If they say that - take a look for yourself. To simplify - just tell them - "put my valve stems from my original wheels into my new ones"
The valve stem from my 07 tC's stock rims didnt fit in my Axis Hiro. So I still have them on my stock wheels and tires. I've driven without the sensors for about 300 miles or more and the sensor light's still off. I dont know why, but hopefully they'll stay off like that. I dont wanna see that annoying light that some of you mentioned hehe
Old 01-03-2007, 01:12 PM
5 Year Member

man u sound lucky for tha light not to come on,is it just a light to warn u,and does it effect tha abs system????
Old 01-04-2007, 06:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

maybe tcGuy007 never pressed the "Set" button when he got the car, so it never activated the sensor so the light never comes on?

i hope so, cause i haven't pressed mine yet either so when i get new wheels hopefully the light wont come on. if it does i'll probably just open the dash and do the black tape over the light thing.

OmarRacing: the new sensor is independent of the ABS system so it doesn't effect it

Quick Reply: Tire Pressure Recalibration...