Notices

Tire Ripping Apart

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2007, 03:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default Tire Ripping Apart

Ok, So I just purchased my 08 tC on the 7th of July. I got home from work this evening and saw that my front passenger side tire is ripping apart, for no apparent reason

I've not hit anything and if I had in this spot of the tire, my rim would have been damaged too.

Take a look:

(This one shows no damage to the rim at all)

I am upset beyond belief with this. This is a huge safety problem so I call the dealer. Dealer says to bring it in so a manager can look at it.

Question, if they replace that tire, will that throw the others off therefore loosing gas mileage and putting my car out of balance and alignment?

Send me your thoughts......

~hypno
The "at this minute not so happy tC owner"....

edit: *changed the pic links to bigger images*
Old 08-02-2007, 03:43 AM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

With as few miles you have on the vehicle, there shouldn't be appreciable wear on the tires yet.*

When they replace the tire they will balance it, and it should fit right in with the others.

Tom

* Unless you've been driving it like you stole it...
Old 08-02-2007, 03:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Thanks for the reply. I haven't been driving it like i stole though LOL. I literally go 16 miles each day. 8 to work, 8 home from work on the side streets in Atlanta. Its been on the highway maybe half a dozen times. I treat it like a d*mn child.

I am anxious to see what the dealer has to say tomorrow. I will keep the thread updated.
Old 08-02-2007, 03:56 AM
OhioScions
SL Member

i have the same exact ripping ____ on mine. my car is an 05 tho, and i dont kno if these tires are original. mine are fuzion or something. but my tires are crappy and need replaced. the rip was there when i bought the car. tire doesnt seem to be losing any air
Old 08-02-2007, 04:00 AM

sux that happened but looks like sumone's hatin' on ur ride ... yo i think sumone took a blade to ur rubber but thats jus me talkin'
Old 08-02-2007, 04:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Something sharp did that, whether on the road or by someone else, but it really does look like damage rather than the tire coming apart on its own.
Old 08-02-2007, 04:22 AM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

'Spensive little tires! ($207 at TireRack, even.)

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Sizes....ama&model=S32A

If you need to replace it at your expense, try to get a good price - you may find the dealer price a bit high...

Tom
Old 08-02-2007, 04:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionTific

SL Member

It looks like you took a hit from some road debris at highway speed. It happens.
Old 08-02-2007, 03:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Just got back from the dealer. They initially said that they wouldn't warranty a tire for damage of this kind. I was a little upset seeing as the car isn't even a month old yet and I expressed that while keeping my cool. Various scenarios were offered up including someone backing into my car, pulling into my car, something hitting my car. All of which haven't happened. There would be more damage to my car if someone had hit it right? The rim isn't damaged so I didn't hit anything.

The manager said he would call their Scion Rep and see what he says. I left the dealer and heading to work. 10 minutes later I receive a phone call from the manager. He said that his Scion Rep agreed to warranty the tire and to go ahead and replace it.

I am extremely thankful that he agreed to do it and I should have the new tire on in a few days:-)
Old 08-02-2007, 03:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

I agree something must have hit the tire. That is a slice, not a tear.. at least by the looks of it. A chunk of wood can do that under the right circumstances, and not damage the wheel. It sounds like they are being nice and providing warranty to do you good as a customer, so be thankful of that, since by all apearance it does not look like a defect or warranty issue.
Old 08-02-2007, 05:33 PM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Scion (through your dealer) is being really nice to you. They didn't have to replace the tire on their dime, 'cause that is damage rather than defect. Glad it worked out in your favor!

Tom
Old 08-02-2007, 07:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

I am most appreciative that they are doing what they are for me. I do not know who or when it happened. All I know is that I looked down at my tire last night and it was there.

Scion has made me feel valued eventhough I am aware that they didn't have to do it.

Thanks Scion!