Toyo Proxes 4 on [url]www.edgeracing.com[/url]

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2007, 03:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Default Toyo Proxes 4 on www.edgeracing.com

So my OEM yoko s32a's finally crapped the bed. Driving in light snow here in upstate NY has been a nightmare. I did some searching on the forums and found that the toyo p4's could be found on edgeracing.com for a good price. Well this tire is normally a $120+ tire and our factory size is only $81 from them. HUGE difference. This site has been highly recommended by a few other members here and I will most likely be ordering tomorrow!
Old 02-04-2007, 03:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Sounds good. I use the toyo proxes 4 and love em. They are great on dry/wet pavement and about as good as you can expect in the snow for an all-season. I'm not gonna kid ya, they aren't great in the snow, but as long as you drive carefully, you'll be safe. Although they aren't the best in the snow, they also aren't the kind that are going to kill you. In reality, what can you expect from a performance all-season? They have great capability though.

If I may throw it out there, I am on stock rims and went from the 215/45-17 to 225/45-17 completely safely. The tire shop put them on and even showed me that they are completely safe like this. It could even go up to 235, but they wouldn't recommend that and so wouldnt install them. But the 225s are not even close to the limit and makes a great difference while driving. The 10mm per tire really feels great! So i'd recommend that for a slightly wider tire that is still 100% safe. Otherwise, go with the 215s, but you won't regret the toyos, thats for sure!
Old 02-04-2007, 03:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scikotics
SL Member

edge racing is a great site... Leo was my salesperson and my experience was awesome.

Proxies for 81 a pop....

hmmm
Old 02-04-2007, 05:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hey Spect2k3. Is your car lowered?? If so on what??? I was also thinking of going to 225 since I heard the extra 10mm on the tire makes the ride comfort somewhat better than the 215.
Old 02-04-2007, 05:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

yea i'm lowered on trds. I like em and they maintained the warranty for me (especially since I did the drop at like 7K). In fact, I had a defective rear strut that they replaced for me under warranty since i'm on trds, otherwise they would've made me pay for it even though it wasn't the drop that did it. Nevertheless, the 225s give the car a bit of a wider stance and really make it feel nice IMO. I've tried the toyo p4 in the 215s and ended up going back to the shop to get the 225s. The place I bought them from lets me sample em for 30 days, and if I dont like em, money back, no questions asked. So I did that after I got the 215s and LOVE the 225s a lot more.
Old 02-04-2007, 05:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

wow thats a really good deal. nice.
Old 02-04-2007, 04:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

yea. Town Fair Tire. They are a new england based company. And they match prices. So I paid $112 a tire for 225/45-17. They don't match online prices, but they will come close to them.
Old 02-04-2007, 07:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

I'm thinking of bumping the size up to a 225 instead of the 215. Since I'm only buying 2 right now and not all 4(the other 2 aren't bald yet) will bumping up to the 225 look awkward with a narrower tire in the rear? I heard the 225 on our car make stance and feel a bit nicer
Old 02-04-2007, 07:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

it does make it feel nicer. I dont know about mixing tires sizes. You could, but it'd be strange i'd think. But you definitely don't want to mix tires b/c that throws off traction. If the other 2 are well worn (or even if they arent for that matter), just replace all 4 b/c the new tires are going to be SO much better and the other 2 will be inferior. So what can happen is that 2 tires will lose traction in the snow/rain/dry pavement much sooner than the other two. This will cause your car to either plow ahead (if the better tires are in the rear) or fishtail (if the better tires are in the front) based on where the 2 superior tires are. You want all of the tires to lose traction at the same point (if it has to come to that)

If you still have the stockers on there, just get rid of em. They are really poor tires and can put you in danger as they wear out. Switching to 225s toyo proxes 4, overall handling has improved, ride quality, dry/wet/snow traction, etc. Hope that helps.
Old 02-04-2007, 07:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Thanks for the quick reply. Your post does help me out a lot. I'm just going to replace all four with the 225's Thanks again
Old 02-04-2007, 08:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hey you got any pics of the your tires close up?? Does the extra 10mm look a lttle funky compared to the 215?? Since the wall is out a little bit more than the rim itself.
Old 02-04-2007, 08:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Nauticac - you'll be real happy with em. I went from the yokos to these and couldn't believe the difference. Make sure to let us know what you think! All 4 is definitely the way to go!

tc913 - The extra 10mm doesn't look funky at all. If anything, it looks sporty compared to the 215s. Quite honestly though, 10mm on a tire is not too noticable to the eye (untrained eye), yet when you add 10mm to all 4 wheels, thats 40mm more tire on the ground than the 215s.

I personally find it comical when people say that the 225s cant fit on the stock rims comfortably and that the wall is out more. The only people that say that haven't ever seen the 225s on the stock rims. Sure, there is more pressure on the wall, but its not like going up to 235 or 245. The tire place told me 235 could be doable, but they wouldn't do it for insurance purposes. The 245 is flat out dangerous. I know people how do drive around on 235s with the stock rims though, but 225 is good enough for me - it makes a nice difference. But hey, i'll let you decide for yourself if the 225s look dangerous. What do you think:

There is TONS of sand on the ground here right now, so pardon the dirty tires!

Right rear:

Front right (again filthy), does this look dangerous to you?:

pix taken on cell phone - sorry its the best I have
Old 02-04-2007, 09:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

lol np. Did you scratch up your tires or go off roading or something??
Old 02-04-2007, 09:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

lol no. like I said, there is sand all over the road. I live in a private development and we have a company that comes by to clean up all the snow. Well it hasnt snowed much here this year, so they decided to dump down the years worth of sand over half an inch of snow! lol. It takes me 10 minutes to get out of my development b/c I coast at like 2 mph as to not scratch up my car. such idiots. but yea, thats all sand that you are looking at from driving home. A little water and they'd look as good as new. They only have about 4K on em.
Old 02-04-2007, 09:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

hehe. I feel your pain.
Old 02-04-2007, 09:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yes i agree with what spect2k3 is saying.. the toyo proxes4 is a GREAT tire. in snow, it'll get you home, just be careful. But it's not a dangerous tire, that just spins and spins on snow (no traction). It works fine in snow, awesome in slush and wet. ride is comfortable, noise is low, handling/braking is awesome. great tire!

so yes you can see i recommend them, you'll love these tires!
Old 02-09-2007, 03:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

how many milles are they good for under hard cornering circomstances
Old 02-09-2007, 09:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

As much as you can expect from any real high performance all-season tire. They have great treadwear ratings for the class. If you want tires that last longer, go buy the touring all seasons or passenger all seasons. With high performance all seasons, they will of course not last quite as long, but as I said, very good for the class. You can expect about 35K if you take it easy and possibly as low as 20K if you are really beating on them. If they are your track tires which i'd highly recommend against, they'll last you like 8K. So its all about how you drive em, because they can really range (about 20K) if you cant tell. Of course a lot of it goes into maintainance (tire rotations, proper air pressure, etc). Bottom line - they are great tires
Old 02-09-2007, 11:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Nooo . You MUST run performance tires !! If you do not , you WILL feel it and it the car will respond improperly . You will be all over the road .
Old 02-10-2007, 12:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

okay falkor, calm down.. have some cheese and relax It's going to be alright.

I doubt that anyone is going to get less performing tires, it's just that with the high performance tires, the Toyo Proxes4 with medium wear, will make about 25k, light use (grandma driving) then 30k. If you're hard on tires, then 20k is all you'll get (or less).

I think that nauticac will go with the Proxes4, great price, and an awesome tire! And no, it's not a touring tire.

So see falkor? it's going to be ok

Quick Reply: Toyo Proxes 4 on [url]www.edgeracing.com[/url]