Toyo Proxes 4

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2006, 09:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Default Toyo Proxes 4

What do you all think of the Toyo Proxes 4 in general, but more importantly in the snow and rain. There aren't that many reviews of them out there and they've not been tested by consumer reports or any other car magazine as far as I know.

Based on the look of the tire, they seem to be a performance oriented tire, but can they handle the rain and the snow? (hopefully someone on here has em) As much detail as anyone can give would be great!

Toyo Proxes 4 at 1010tires.com
Old 10-22-2006, 09:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

you've got pm'ed aboout the tire!!
Old 10-22-2006, 09:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

So the dry and wet handling is great, but yea, living in Puerto Rico no sabrías mucho sobre la nieve! It must be nice!
Old 10-22-2006, 09:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

thats right!

did you check the ratings on the site i sent you?
Old 10-22-2006, 09:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Yes, and they look great. Snow is just the only question in my mind and I plan on using them year round. So thats why i'm trying to find someone who has driven them in the snow in a tC for a more accurate comparison.

The problem with those websites in my mind, is that almost any tire is better than stock and these people are usually comparing the new tires they get to the stocks b/c it is all they have driven on up until that point, so of course they are going to say its better. I like when consumer reports does articles on tires b/c it is much more accurate and unbiased. Unfortunately they haven't done anything on the Toyos. So I am just hoping for someone in a tC to tell me that they haven't had much difficulty in them driving in the light snow.
Old 10-22-2006, 10:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

amazing tire! amazing in rain. i live in fl.. so i see my share of rain.
Old 10-22-2006, 10:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Awesome, rain stability is really important to me as I usually find myself out driving in some sort of weather!

How sticky do you find them to be on the dry pavement? From the look of them, I would have to say incredible...

Any reviews for light snow? I'll even accept deep snow and ice reviews, lol.
Old 10-22-2006, 10:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Wagonistas
SL Member

I pm'd you back!
Old 10-22-2006, 10:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

^^ thanks

But still no snow/ice reviews A lot of toyo owners must live in the south, lol
Old 10-22-2006, 10:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

my pop's got some on his A6.....loves him.....much better than the stockers in the snow...im sure AWD helps out a little but those things are perfect ohio snow....honestly though...if i were you....i'd grab some kuhmo asx's from tire rack for the drier months and a nice set of snow shoes for the winter months. you might end up paying 100-200 more....but you'll be much happier when the snow comes....i just dont know if the toyo's would be up to NY snow....i think you need a dedicated set for that...the kuhmo's are performance-budget-allseason tires so that'll cover you for when you dont need the snow shoes and will end up costing prolly 150 or so less than the proxes 4's. good luck man!!
Old 10-22-2006, 10:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Thanks for the advice. You're right about the snow tire. I want ideally to go with the B-stone blizzaks and get a nice summer tire, its just too much money and hassle right now. Thats why i've decided, after MUCH debate, to go with the all-seasons. I know that no all-season can match up to a snow tire in the snow, but i'm just hoping that the toyos can keep me safe if i'm careful. Quite honestly, i just don't plan on leaving the house in the tC if there is more than 3 in on the ground. I'd take my dads m35x for that! lol

If there are any more reviews out there, PLEASE keep em comin!
Old 10-23-2006, 03:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

bump, still looking for more info on the proxes 4 and just toyos in general - there are no professional reviews out there for em!
Old 10-23-2006, 05:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

toyo's, including the proxes 4s are consistently rated as the one of the top tires around....but how bout this....tell us your budget and we'll see what else is around that could fit your needs better or with less money
Old 10-23-2006, 05:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

its not so much about that, its that I want to be sure that the Toyos are rated highly b/c they deserve to be. Car & Driver, Consumer Reports, etc - nobody has tested them for real. The only ratings that exist are from people who use em which tends to be fairly unreliable. Unfortunately, thats all that exists, so I just wanted to know what tC owners think of em on the tC.

I can afford em, I just want to be as close to 100% sure as possible! Thanks for the help guys
Old 10-23-2006, 02:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

i have them and i think they are good tires! but i havent drivin my car in the winter yet so i have no clue on the snow thing
Old 10-23-2006, 03:24 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

First of all if your guying to buy the Toyo's, buy from www.edgeracing.com ... theyre prices are insane.

Second of all, I had the TP4s on my Grand Am that I owned previous to the tC (pictures in link in sig) and amazing tires while cornering, dry and the wet traction was actually better than my Potenza Pole Position S03 (a damn near competition tire)

As far as the snow, simply put... no. I dont recommend it, they only saw a little bit of snow, untill the winter wheels and tires I ordered came in (now conveinently on the tC ;) ) but they didnt perform well at all. Under braking they would cause the ABS to engage pretty quick, and even then I would still slide alot. One thing that may help is if you have a m5 tC, as you can engine brake to start the slowing process. A siping service would help, but ... realistically any "directional performance" and especially a UHPAS (ultra high performance passanger) tire are going to suck in the snow.
Old 10-23-2006, 03:26 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Oh and one more positive, the 300 tread rating is nearly double the stock Yokos/Bridgestones and should last many seasons.

I reccomend just spending the exta 4-500 and getting some winter steelies and snow tires, I payed $494 out the door for 4 15" steelies, and 4 Semperit Sport Grip Tires(amazing value winter tire) to use during the winter, best decision I have ever made.
Old 10-23-2006, 04:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Thanks for the nice review. That is exactly what I was worried about with these tires (the snow). If I were to do snow tires, I would just slap some summer tires on now, but going with an all-season, I was trying to eliminate that problem.

My 2nd choice to the Toyo proxes 4 are the michelin pilot exalto a/s which are much more expensive, but have a 45K mile treadwear warranty, are rated VERY highly in consumer reports and are better in the snow. But the 2 bad things about them is that they are at least $155 each and are slightly less of a performance tire than the proxes4.

I like the fact that wet handling is so good though, but that makes me believe it is barely an all-season and bordering on a summer tire, b/c summer tires are superior for dry and wet but CAN'T handle the snow.
Old 10-23-2006, 04:30 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Im not sure who told you that the Proxes4 are an all season, they definately are not. They are a UHPAS summer tire. Now on edge racing you can get a TP4 for like $90 a tire, a $65 savings (over those mich tires) which you could put towards a set of winter tires and steelies, and thats what i recommend. If your not running a fully rebuilt NA engine, or some sort of forced induction, I dont see you outhandling the TP4s in our tC, if anything I see the TP4s out handling our stock suspension. I had a pretty stiff suspension set up in the Grand Am and never had a problem running out of traction with those tires at all, ever.
Old 10-23-2006, 04:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

If thats the case though that they are really a summer tire, then I have to go with the Michelins. I too want to go with the winter setup, but God knows I can't afford it. I can only afford to buy 1 set of tires. In the future, I will do 2, but for now, if the proxes4s are a summer tire, then I have to go with the Michelins.

On this website which people have sent me to, it is listed as an all-season. Is that not actually the case?
http://www.1010tires.com/tire.asp?ti...model=Proxes+4

Quick Reply: Toyo Proxes 4