Notices

Whats the biggest rims a tC can ride without rubbing??

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2007, 03:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah, but is sounds like you know your stuff, and I respect that. When I re-read my posts I realized what an @ss I sounded like. I sometimes can lose my cool. Anyways, sorry again man.
Old 08-09-2007, 03:54 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Off topic:
Your wheels do not absorb any impact. A taller sidewall tire will flex more, in turn transmitting less of the bump to the suspension, transmitting less of the bump to the body of the car where you notice it. A 17inch wheel with 30 series tires will have a rougher ride (you feel more of the bump) that a 50 series tire. Trucks ride like trucks because of the suspension.

On topic:
18s or 19s should be a bolt on. 20's might take some work, but listen to the guys running them.

I say go big or go home. Put some dubs on it!
Old 08-09-2007, 04:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i can agree with that, a 17 with a 30 series compared to a 17 with a 50 series will be a little bumpier.

but we were comparing stock 17's on 45 series to my 20's with 30 series. i have smaller sidewalls but i feel less impact then i did with stock rims and tires due to spokes. beyond the tire the spoke is a physical barrier the vibrations have to pass through in order to make it to the suspension of the car. tires are soft, you hit a bump, tire flexs and absorbs, transmits to a rim with multiple the shock transmits from the point of contact, the tire, to the center of the rim via the spokes in the direction the energy is flowing. then once it hits the center of the rim the energy is then throw outward. less spokes means more energy sent out per spoke, more spokes means less energy per spoke that leaves the remaining energy for the suspension to absorb.

so basically in the end if you stand a wheel up and you kick one side of it your telling me you cannot feel any vibrations in the spokes on the opposite side? and thats just the force of your leg.
Old 08-09-2007, 06:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

So I can get 20s 20 x7.5 or 20x8.5?? and what tires should I get?
Old 08-09-2007, 06:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by RalphLaurenJR
TO BE SAFE:
get the 20x7.5...with 225/35/20 tires....it's what I have on my Motegi's. The wheel you choose may affect the choice in tire, but it's not bad...you can even drop her 1" to 1.5" and not rub (a sway bar would be a nice addition too)

Pushing the envelope is why I bought a Scion in the first place (besides the price)...get what you want!!
My homeboy had 19x8.5s on his tC with a TRD springs drop (no sway)...he rubbed on the BUMPS, but the look was sick as hell b/c the tire was FLUSH with the fender (sorta)...BUT HE HAD TO ROLL THE FENDER (a little) B/C OF WHEELS WIDTH....

Once again, get the DUBs man, you'll be happy (I AM)...but keep that width between 7.5 and 8...8.5 is pushing it IF you drop her lower than TRDs honestly....but that's my EXPERIENCED opinion...Good luck on the decision homie!!
Old 08-09-2007, 07:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

[quote="karatekidd"]
TO BE SAFE:
get the 20x7.5...with 225/35/20 tires....it's what I have on my Motegi's. The wheel you choose may affect the choice in tire, but it's not bad...you can even drop her 1" to 1.5" and not rub (a sway bar would be a nice addition too)

homie, I'm not tryin to race this puppy, my girl is for cruising and looking good, i'm not lowering her.. so I can go with them specs you gave me?
Old 08-09-2007, 08:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I am lowered on S-Techs . Do i need 18x8 or 18x7.5 . I was thinking of doing 18x8 because they have a nice lip to them but i dont want to rub at all ! I carry 3 extra people in the car (2 of which are kids) and i want to get a wheel that would be good for daily driving and driving my kids around ! is 18x7.5 my only option ?
Old 08-10-2007, 01:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

[quote="RalphLaurenJR"]
Originally Posted by karatekidd
TO BE SAFE:

homie, I'm not tryin to race this puppy, my girl is for cruising and looking good, i'm not lowering her.. so I can go with them specs you gave me?
SURE!!!
I'm only going to lower mine on TRDs...just to 'tighten' up the stance....GO BIG OR GO HOME!! lol....I promise that if you get the DUBs and drop it EVER SO SLIGHTLY, you'll like the look..

I NEVER drive hard on my baby....we cruise all the time....if that's your style, then I say go big.....I like 20x7.5 b/c our stock wheels are 17x7.5....so technically you're only going 3 inches bigger, not wider....most people 'rub' on the inner fender b/c their wheels are too wide, and the car is too low!!
Old 08-10-2007, 01:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by HyPnOtIk
I am lowered on S-Techs . Do i need 18x8 or 18x7.5 . I was thinking of doing 18x8 because they have a nice lip to them but i dont want to rub at all ! I carry 3 extra people in the car (2 of which are kids) and i want to get a wheel that would be good for daily driving and driving my kids around ! is 18x7.5 my only option ?
My homeboy has 18s on h-techs...with a 45 offset (i believe)...he has had to remove his inner fenders to keep from rubbing (on the sides though)...the look is sick, b/c his wheels sit flush with the car, but I would suggest going with a smaller offset like 40 or 35, like myself...

if you're dropped already....I'd say go with the 18x7.5 with a 40 offset (it should fit flush) I've seen some s-techs 'tuck rim'...so you have to decide what type of driving you're doing...you're gonna rub if you go too wide, but search Scionlife for folks with s-techs (there are A LOT) and find out what OFFSET they've got...that's the best way to go....
Old 08-10-2007, 03:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

nolimitzinc got back to me for those that ask and he believe my offset is 45.
Old 08-12-2007, 10:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

[quote="karatekidd"]
TO BE SAFE:

SURE!!!
I'm only going to lower mine on TRDs...just to 'tighten' up the stance....GO BIG OR GO HOME!! lol....I promise that if you get the DUBs and drop it EVER SO SLIGHTLY, you'll like the look..

I NEVER drive hard on my baby....we cruise all the time....if that's your style, then I say go big.....I like 20x7.5 b/c our stock wheels are 17x7.5....so technically you're only going 3 inches bigger, not wider....most people 'rub' on the inner fender b/c their wheels are too wide, and the car is too low!!

whats the point of lowering it? I just wanna ride big..
Old 08-13-2007, 12:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Lowering will give you a little better handling, and a rear sway will cut down on a lot of body roll (which can cause rubbing in some cases)....I just love the look of a ride with a subtle drop on BIG wheels....it doesn't look bad w/o a slight drop...it's just your preference I guess...
Old 08-13-2007, 09:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i was looking at going Axis Decades which are 18x8 .. Is it possible to do that with me being lowered on S Techs ?
Old 08-14-2007, 12:52 AM
SL Member

I say you fit some fat tires on whatever rims you have. You want performance right? I got 255/35/18 on my ride with a 2 inch drop in the front and 1.6 in the rear (H&R's) as far as ride goes it rides pretty well, the H&R's made it kind of rough, but since i put on the aftermarket wheels and tires nothing has changed
Old 08-14-2007, 05:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Lowering will give you a little better handling, and a rear sway will cut down on a lot of body roll (which can cause rubbing in some cases)....I just love the look of a ride with a subtle drop on BIG wheels....it doesn't look bad w/o a slight drop...it's just your preference I guess...

so I can get 20X7.5s.. and go with what tire?
Old 08-14-2007, 12:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^I have 225/35/20...Nitto Neo Gens...I REALLY like the tread and they're ALL WEATHER tires....they are also designed for cars with lowered suspensions (they work just as fine if you don't lower it though)....I just liked the fact that if I did lower my ride, these tires would hold up to the change...NITTO FTW!!

Hope that helps...

By the way, Kuhmo makes a great tire, as well as Yokohama (expensive though)
Old 08-15-2007, 03:15 AM
SL Member

For my rear 255's yokohamas I paid 120$ for both. Brand new. They are sick. usually at least 220 each. suckers
Old 08-15-2007, 10:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

pollup~ from what i can find on those wheels they are 20x7.5 with a 38mm offset . hope that helps anyone out.
Old 08-15-2007, 12:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by SleeC-slc
For my rear 255's yokohamas I paid 120$ for both. Brand new. They are sick. usually at least 220 each. suckers
THAT'S AWESOME ....
Old 08-15-2007, 10:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

^^I have 225/35/20...Nitto Neo Gens...I REALLY like the tread and they're ALL WEATHER tires....they are also designed for cars with lowered suspensions (they work just as fine if you don't lower it though)....I just liked the fact that if I did lower my ride, these tires would hold up to the change...NITTO FTW!!

Hope that helps...

By the way, Kuhmo makes a great tire, as well as Yokohama (expensive though)
so 225/35/20, fa sho, I don't want them things to rub up against the wheel well or rub up against the spring, Imma check and see about them, whats some good rims websites???

Quick Reply: Whats the biggest rims a tC can ride without rubbing??