Notices

Wheel/tire advice

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2010, 06:48 PM

Default Wheel/tire advice

I'm new to the whole modding scene and I planningo n getting a '10 tC pretty soon and I'd like to change the wheels.

I was thinking of something that looks like this:
http://www.discounttiredirect.com/di...w=7&vid=017580

Basically I want something that's black with the silver/chrome lip? I don't know what to call, but basically the silver outlining... I've never changed any wheels on a car before so I don't know the process. Anyone willing to explain or have any links or something?

From what I can see I would need to buy the wheels and buy tires and have someone put the wheels on the tire and adjust them? Not sure, any help is appreciated.

Also does anyone know anything about these wheels? As for tires should i order more stock ones or what, I'd prefer some tires that won't give me any trouble driving in your everyday conditions such as dry/rain/wet
Old 10-08-2010, 07:02 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member

Trader
SL Member

if you dont know anything about anything, just buy the car and take it to discount tire or one of the other chains that sell wheels and tires.
Old 10-08-2010, 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by yellowxhoodie
if you dont know anything about anything, just buy the car and take it to discount tire or one of the other chains that sell wheels and tires.
such as? got any examples?
Old 10-08-2010, 07:10 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member

Trader
SL Member

examples of what...
Old 10-08-2010, 07:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

basically you need to decide on what kind of look your going for..the rims you have pick out are a replica of the volk ce's which are some beautiful rims..what i mean by looks i mean are you going for a flush look or a tucked look..? and are you dropped on springs, coilovers..or stock still..? you should browse the threads on wheel fitment and aftermarker wheels and see what style you like..bc that will help you choose the width and offsets you want..well looks like those wheels maybe only be 17x7..so it will sick basically like your stock wheels do..but browse some threads see what you like and decide if you want a low offset so you can have that flush look and just the stock offset..and you can use your stock tires..if your buying 17's..good luck thou man..but id really suggest and browse and see what you like before you spend the money..

Last edited by MooSE55; 10-08-2010 at 07:36 PM. Reason: typo
Old 10-08-2010, 08:28 PM

can someone move this to the 1g section...
Old 10-08-2010, 08:42 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

if ur gona buy rims dont make the same mistake i made and get cheap knockoffs, drags, rotas, tenzos ...are just to name a few, i ended up getting works now there a good rim, dont cheap out on the mods man it will cost u in the long run

enkei,work,volk are a few good brands to look into, and as the guys said above make a decision on what looks ur going for, wheels will make a huge difference!
Old 10-08-2010, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by sako
if ur gona buy rims dont make the same mistake i made and get cheap knockoffs, drags, rotas, tenzos ...are just to name a few, i ended up getting works now there a good rim, dont cheap out on the mods man it will cost u in the long run

enkei,work,volk are a few good brands to look into, and as the guys said above make a decision on what looks ur going for, wheels will make a huge difference!
yea well see thanks, since im new to wheels i dont know whats a knockoff and what isnt, thanks for the list of good brands. as for what style i guess ill try to find a picture because i dont really understand the whole width/offset/fitment/tire size concept yet, still doing some reading on it
Old 10-08-2010, 08:58 PM

well then... after looking those brands up they are a bit too expensive for my taste... are there any lower end brands that arent knock offs that are worth the money?
Old 10-08-2010, 09:05 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

i had tenzos for about a year and a half, i had one bend so bad from the inside that i had to take it out and get it fixed, at that point i replaced all my tires and when they were doing that they noticed that all 4 were bend, and no its not potholes im a very safe driver i dont remember hitting one pothole ever i drive as stable as possible, as far as i knw drags are worse than tenzos well at least from the research i did when i was getting ready to buy my wheels, take a look around see how people rated them utilize the forum thats what its here for we all use it to learn from each others mistakes and help each other but personally save the money save up a bit more the difference is big in the long run
Old 10-08-2010, 09:19 PM

ugh, 500$ a wheel though... then i need tires... dunno how soon that would come. There's no "in-between" lol?

As for the style of wheels, someone along these lines and sorry i dont have the specs:

Old 10-09-2010, 01:27 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by sako

Yeah I agree.

To OP look around, I had a good friend of mine see me his Volks to me for $800 with proxes4 which have like 30% tread left. Just watch make sure they are legit volks, Don't buy them on ebay.
Old 10-09-2010, 01:34 AM

any other recommended brands besides enkei,work,and volks? volks just seem out of my price range... i saw some enkei's on tirerack.com that didnt seem too bad though
Old 10-09-2010, 01:36 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I like look around besides tire rack, enkei has a bunch of stuff.
Old 10-09-2010, 01:48 AM

Originally Posted by headlessmunky
I like look around besides tire rack, enkei has a bunch of stuff.
huh?

These caught my eye on tirerack:
http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/Wheel...All&sort=Brand
these also dont seem that expensive... are they still decent quality?

but from what ive been reading about wheel sizes and such i want a 35 offset? but these are 38 offset, also it recommends 215/45/17 but wouldnt that make the ride rougher than the stock 225/45/17? or could i still use 225/45/17
Old 10-09-2010, 10:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Club One
SL Member

Originally Posted by acewayne
any other recommended brands besides enkei,work,and volks? volks just seem out of my price range... i saw some enkei's on tirerack.com that didnt seem too bad though
Honestly, good wheels are expensive. I learned this very quickly when I was needing new tires and wanted to get rims too. I figured out that spending less than $600 on wheels was probably going to give me a lower quality wheel more prone to denting and breaking than my stock wheels. I didn't want to pay to downgrade, so I am going to wait till I have $1k for wheels and then get a quality set of rims.

That said, consider TSW, Momo, 5Zigen, XXR, Borbet, O.Z. as well. XXR in particular has some particularly nice looking rims.

For tires, I got a set of Hankook V12 EVO K110s and I like them a lot more than my stock Bridgestone Potenzas. Not only do they handle wet and dry better, the ride is noticeably smoother and quieter. Top it off with being around $100 a piece(Potenzas are around $150) and it's pretty much a no brainer. I considered basically everything and nothing is a better deal. If you look around here, you'll probably find my threads from earlier this year. I got them from Discount Tire and I think their free pro-rated warranty and lifetime free rotations is quite nice.
Old 10-09-2010, 12:52 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by acewayne
huh?

These caught my eye on tirerack:
http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/Wheel...All&sort=Brand
these also dont seem that expensive... are they still decent quality?

but from what ive been reading about wheel sizes and such i want a 35 offset? but these are 38 offset, also it recommends 215/45/17 but wouldnt that make the ride rougher than the stock 225/45/17? or could i still use 225/45/17
Look at different retailers. Enkei has more stuff than whats on tire rack. Anything from Rays Engineering is great, if you are willing to save. Trd isn't terrible you could prolly get a used set for like 500-600$

Those wheels look nice, i would say they would probably be okay. My friend has a set of enkei pkr on his eclipse. He has abused those wheels, not bends or anything, he found them online for like $400 shipped without tires, they were used.
Old 10-09-2010, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by Deathwish238
Honestly, good wheels are expensive. I learned this very quickly when I was needing new tires and wanted to get rims too. I figured out that spending less than $600 on wheels was probably going to give me a lower quality wheel more prone to denting and breaking than my stock wheels. I didn't want to pay to downgrade, so I am going to wait till I have $1k for wheels and then get a quality set of rims.

That said, consider TSW, Momo, 5Zigen, XXR, Borbet, O.Z. as well. XXR in particular has some particularly nice looking rims.

For tires, I got a set of Hankook V12 EVO K110s and I like them a lot more than my stock Bridgestone Potenzas. Not only do they handle wet and dry better, the ride is noticeably smoother and quieter. Top it off with being around $100 a piece(Potenzas are around $150) and it's pretty much a no brainer. I considered basically everything and nothing is a better deal. If you look around here, you'll probably find my threads from earlier this year. I got them from Discount Tire and I think their free pro-rated warranty and lifetime free rotations is quite nice.
hmm, i looked up some wheels from those brands and i did like the XXR wheel styles, but the price didnt seem to match... they seemed to be really really cheap. to be specific, the 941 seems to run less than $100 each and the 006 at around 150. are they quality wheels?

to simplify it all, im just looking for some black wheels with the chrome/silver lip to replace stock that wont cost me a ton and will last me on a car where i just drive to school/work daily and such. no intense driving and such. any ideas? same goes with tires

Last edited by acewayne; 10-09-2010 at 08:13 PM.
Old 10-10-2010, 02:15 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Check enkei pkr.

5axis Designs are nice.

Honestly I have never seen anything bad come from rota, but thats just me.
Old 10-11-2010, 02:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

This was my buddy's old car. These are 17 inch MOMO Corse wheels FYI.

Quick Reply: Wheel/tire advice