10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

dod not see that either, good catch
Old 04-10-2006, 01:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

ok so drag wheels I know are chepa in pricing but are they also cheap in the way they are made like the quality of the wheel?

Wil they bend or chip easily?
Old 04-10-2006, 02:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

With wheels you get what you pay. The competition on the market is almost perfect these days meaning that price talks. Now a wheel manufacturer is trying to cut costs; where do you think those savings are going to come from? Cheaper steel, chrome coating, cheaper construction methods etc. There is not much you can improve in the wheel manufacturing process to cut costs. It all comes out of quality.

My personal favorite when it comes to price/quality equilibrium is Enkei. If I did not have a set of rare, expensive wheels, I would own a set of Enkei.
Old 04-10-2006, 06:06 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by retrodrive
Axis over Enkei and Racing Hart? Yeah that makes sence
cmon bro i said some models alright.
Old 04-10-2006, 07:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i agree........axis had and still has some crappy wheels, but some are pretty decent, and they are moderatly priced, someone could say enkei makes cheap wheels....RS6 is a good example, but yeah i would not put axis over racing hart period, and all i usually run are axis.
why because they have a decent bling factor and when my wife goes curbing them im not 500.00 for a RH or the like, just 300 or so......
Old 04-10-2006, 08:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Axis wheels is a marketing company, not a wheel manufacturer. They sell other company’s products under the Axis brand. This is a common practice. HP, Arospeed, Drag, ADR, ALT, Sport Max, Tenzo R, and others do not manufacture their own wheels.

Go to www.alibaba.com and you can search for manufacturers in Asia that will make wheels for your own brand. Aitl is one such company in China. http://www.aitl.cn/

Go to Enkei’s website and you’ll see how they manufacture their own wheels, using their own technology.
http://www.enkei.com/Wheel%20Processes.html
Enkei also participates in internationally in professional motorsport (D1 to F1).

Try searching www.axiswheels.com for similar information. Axis wheels are nice looking, but I don’t consider them a premium wheel brand.
Old 04-10-2006, 08:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

true, axis is made by lenso.......
enkei's are good wheels......but remember this hot number?
Old 04-10-2006, 09:22 PM
5 Year Member

What really defines quality? A name, price or the final product?

The problem with today is that EVERYONE associates quality with a high price tag and while more times than not that may be true, it really isn't the case always. Just because a set of wheels costs $400 opposed to $2000 does not mean it won't be able to carry a longlasting finish and keep its trueness. I mean really, isn't that the real definition of QUALITY? A wheel that retains its finish without chipping easily or the clear coat peeling off allowing the paint underneath the deteriorate. And a wheel that won't bend or crack under normal driving conditions and or light racing?

Nowadays there are so many wheel brands that private label their wheels. Mostly to Asian wheel manufacturers. Why? Because not every company can afford to build a state of the art manufacturing plant with multi-million dollar equipment. Labor is cheaper in Asia thus the savings on the final product can make its way to the consumer. You'd be surprised to find out which wheels come out of the same manufacturer plants. This includes name brands and those that some would call "cheap".

I find it funny that someone put Advan above Enkei considering that most of Advans lineup are produced by ENKEI! Does anybody realize that Enkei produces OEM wheels for numerous auto manufacturers? What about Prime? When you think of Prime you think of those old 90's style cheap cheesy wheels right? Well they are another OEM provider as well. Wheels that must EXCEED most industry standards and I'm talking more than just JWL, TIA, etc.. approval.
Old 04-10-2006, 11:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i have no issue with less expensive rims, i have done my rims splurging, i bought a set of 22x10 billet specialties about a year ago, and they were not cheap, but i had alot of problems with them at $ 1600.00 a wheel you expect them to be flawless but i had the weld break on two of them, and dont tell me that it is the company, B.S is one of the premier wheel manufactures in the world.......its because its a multipeice......in fact most wheel companies get there barrels from the same place its the face that is what they design etc. etc.

I think this is an issue that is about preference, for me i like axis, i have never had an issue with them, i love works and volks but just cannot justify putting 4500.00 in wheels on a scion Tc.

evo77 has a good point......

enkei really was more a joke until about 3-4 years ago, they made silly wheels like i posted up and they made alot of OEM wheels, not until late has there quality gone up.

the enkei making advan, idid not know.....you learn something new everyday.
Old 04-13-2006, 04:04 PM
5 Year Member

Default ADR wheels???

Hey guys I am fairly new to this whole thing, My wife wants new rims for her TC. She really likes the ADR type 78 sterlings. Does anybody know the quality of these rims? Not really concerned with lightweight or over the top performance, just looks quality, durability. Thank you I hope I posted this in the right place.
Old 04-13-2006, 06:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

I dunno.. i suppose it also depends on where you live, but I would not recommend ADR's...

I recently bought a set of Racing Hart M5 wheels from ebay for just about a tohusand dollars, and they have been great so far!

They are multipiece, have a big shiny lip, 19 inches and forged (Im pretty sure)...

Very nice!

I've hit some nasty NYC potholes, and come out with no issues at all...

And not just any pot holes... i've hit some sunken in manhole covers at 70 MPH on the BQE with out a single scratch! Just a very loud bang...

Hope that helps!

P.S. It was raining, so i didnt notice the pothole
Old 04-13-2006, 10:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

As an owner of numerous sets of wheels I can talk to this.

RH especially their EVO line (us made) is notoriously bad. The OG non-evo (japan) line is a whole different story.

Who doesnt know someone who hasnt bent a RH wheel? Those things fold fold fold. I have owned C2's and C5's and a set of M5's (briefly). Under the lightest of pressure either inside or outside lip on these things taco out. Now I also have a set of Work Meister s2r's [my baby's, but 5x114 so they will have to wait till my next car]

These things hit potholes at full blast and speeded away laughting

I agree with the OEM analysis. You have to realize who really is building your wheels., you would be supprized to hear who is building what =)
Old 04-14-2006, 12:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well, i crumbled under preasure.....i bought a set of advans.

still love my axis though......
Old 04-14-2006, 12:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Im poor I stick to Rota's but I also hang with Honda drivers so what does that tel; you...
Old 04-14-2006, 01:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I thought the RH evo line was made in taiwan?
Old 04-14-2006, 02:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

well i have to correct myself, but my rims are cast..

But i've heard bad things about the Evo line too..

But the M5 is japan made.. so thats good then
Old 04-14-2006, 05:34 AM
5 Year Member

RH wheels are not made in the US. Supposedly they are made in Japan (per Dazz rep) but I'm guessing some other Asian country. She would not disclose who manufacturers their wheels due to private label contracts.
Old 04-14-2006, 06:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

RH wheels are made in various places. Im sure she wont disclose where but it was particularly blatent when they initially released their evolution line.

Anyone else remember this going around the scene in 2000-1 ish?
Old 04-14-2006, 07:17 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

the way I see it is if you have the money to spend on wheels go for it and get the good ones, but if your in a budget i think anything thats in your budget works. IT also depends on how much you drive the car. For instance when I bought my American Racing 2 piece aluminum Torque Thrust for my 69 Stang I was very causious about where I drove and the streets as well. That sometimes takes the fun out of driving. Shoot at $1300 just for rims I was one causious person even when it came to getting new tires put on. I say Buy rims that you want and enjoy them. As to real vs. knockoffs I would rather save money and buy the real deal cause at the end your car is representing you and you the car.

thats my stang 2yrs ago at GT Live show in Fontana, CA

Quick Reply: Wheels - Knockoffs vs. The Real Deal