Notices

Wheels - Knockoffs vs. The Real Deal

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2006, 10:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

aznchild... just asking...

why did you have the M5 only breifly? How did you like those?

Beautiful car BTW
Old 04-14-2006, 05:18 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by El_Matador
As to real vs. knockoffs I would rather save money and buy the real deal cause at the end your car is representing you and you the car.
I totally disagree with this mentality. Purchasing authentic items does not make YOU who you are. So many people get hung up on going out of their way to impress others. Its a front. I think if you're going to be true to yourself and others buy what you like and buy what you can afford regardless if the item is a knockoff. Who cares anyway, their just wheels. And if you're worried about what others think of it then you've got some personal issues. (this is not directed towards El Matador but rather a general statement)

I'm currently riding on Maxxim Oxygenes which are knockoffs of the FN01R-C. I bought them cause they were super cheap ($400) and look awesome. Some think that cheap wheels like this will either bend, crack, peel, pop, whatever. I've had not one issue with them. I've also got a set of custom painted SSR Comps in the basement waiting to be mounted for the summer. I got a good deal on these but I really wanted them because of their weight (13.6 lbs). I buy the real deal and I buy the knockoff stuff, it doesn't matter to me. As long as I'm happy with end product that's all that matters.
Old 04-14-2006, 08:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

As to real vs. knockoffs I would rather save money and buy the real deal cause at the end your car is representing you and you the car.
Completely agree here. This is the mentality that wins car shows and any other car events. If you are a true car enthusiast and will not settle for anything less then perfect that is the great way to think about it. Honestly I would not care what some 18year old kid will think of me or my car; however, my personality won't let me to roll on knockoffs or some cheap crap. Do it right or don't do it at all.
Old 04-14-2006, 08:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by retrodrive
Completely agree here. This is the mentality that wins car shows and any other car events. If you are a true car enthusiast and will not settle for anything less then perfect that is the great way to think about it. Honestly I would not care what some 18year old kid will think of me or my car; however, my personality won't let me to roll on knockoffs or some cheap crap. Do it right or don't do it at all.
word.
It depends who we're looking to impress with our cars. I care about other car connoisseurs with similar taste as me. I dont care what the average joe and his girl thinks, unless they have a similar appreciation for quality, rarity, and originiality.
Old 04-14-2006, 10:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The way I see it, so long as the quality is the same there's nothing wrong with going with a less expensive wheel.

If the only thing you're paying for is the brand than really, who's the poser?

But in all honesty, it's not all that often that a cheap well really is a high quality and well made wheel.
Old 04-14-2006, 10:23 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by retrodrive
What defines a true car enthusiast? A person who takes pride in their vehicle, has a passion for the sport, and most importantly builds their own vehicle to their liking and it should reflect their individuality. This is what I feel makes a true car enthusiast. Not one who feels they have to purchase premium wheels to be accepted by others. Priorities are quite skewed if one views "personality" in a name brand. And I think we've covered what qualifies a product as "cheap" and it has nothing to do with a name.

I'm glad I don't do shows.
Old 04-14-2006, 10:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

As long as you modify your vehicle for your own pleasure, it shouldn't matter what others think of knockoffs, etc.

Also as some of you have stated earlier--RH and Racing Hart are NOT the same entity. The RH line is significantly less quality than the original Racing Hart line.

Honestly, most of the time the major difference between the real deal, and a knock off is the contruction. The real deal wheels that cost more are usually forged, while the knockoffs keep the same general look but are made through a cast process. Cast wheels are structurally weaker than forged, and most of the time are a bit heavier than forged wheels.

But again, what's most important is that if a wheel falls within your spending limit, and you like the style, there should be no reason not to purchase it. If you are ok with running knockoff wheels then that's the end of it. Every one is different, and you can't expect everyone to share the same viewpoint on the whole real vs. fake wheels debate. If everyone does it for themselves and not to impress others, everybody leaves happy.
Old 04-14-2006, 11:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i would venture to say, unless you are showing your car, and your points are based on things like authentic rims then yes it is important to buy the higher quality rim. but as a daily driver who really cares.......
you cant tell what brand a rim is on the FWY anyways.
someone told me the other day when i showed them the advans i just bought he said"people are going to laugh at you for gold rims" i said what people those in mini vans with spinners? those people who know what a advan is will not laugh..........
Old 04-15-2006, 01:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It's simply a matter of opinion...there is no right or wrong.
Old 05-23-2006, 07:12 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

how does anyone feel about BBS RX II wheels on TC
Old 05-23-2006, 07:12 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Old 05-23-2006, 03:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by cuzzoerc
those wheels are nice. classice multi-piece mesh design.
to my knowledge the only 5x100 model made was the 16" VW Jetta Wolfsberg Edition wheel.
Old 05-24-2006, 02:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'd kill for a set of BBS LMs...mmmm. I just find USUALLY that the price difference between knockoffs and legit wheels is usually justified due to the legit wheels having way more sizing options, usually are forged, and/or completely customizable.
Old 05-24-2006, 04:38 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

i found some 17" by7" BBS RX II with 5x100 for like 2100 $rims only ill get em
Old 05-25-2006, 08:34 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

http://www.tirerack.com/images/wheel..._rx2_ci3_l.jpg

this is what ima put on my TC tell me what you think
Old 05-25-2006, 09:04 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

hey guys is ASA a good wheel company to purchase from
Old 05-26-2006, 12:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

BBS makes some nice wheels but there cast wheels at a forged price. I would definitely go with sometging forged if your spending the money or get some 3 peice wheels
Old 05-26-2006, 04:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ASA are alright.......nothing wrong with them.
Old 05-26-2006, 05:58 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

so the verdict is BBS or ASA mesh wheels?????????
Old 05-26-2006, 08:18 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

ey can anyone post a few pics of TC's witha drop and some aftermarket 17" ??

Quick Reply: Wheels - Knockoffs vs. The Real Deal