Notices

Why so much hate on Axis wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2009, 11:14 PM
aen
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

axis - that girl back in highschool that could not cook for ____ and if you slept with her you'd get a disease but all in all easy as hell to score

work - the girl back in college that cooked for you before you got home and you KNOW has no disease but was insanely hard to get...

and then ultimately decided at one point you needed money (sex) and got rid of the works girl and scored an axis, now you're stuck with herpes, syphilis and a slew of other diseases...
Old 04-26-2009, 11:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Nebster... what type of wheels are you refering to, ill take a look at anything really. Im not gonna lie, im going for looks mostly, i dont care about having a light set of wheels.
Old 04-26-2009, 11:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

haha good analogy, when you say that works are hard to get, are you just saying that cuz they are expensive or literally.
Old 04-26-2009, 11:22 PM
aen
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

works are hard to get cuz it costs so much lol
Old 04-26-2009, 11:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

600-800 per wheel
Old 04-26-2009, 11:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

HA! F that, i wouldnt put a wheel that expensive on a scion. Don't get me wrong, i luv my car but to put on wheels that expensive would probably be about 1/3 of my cars value.
Old 04-26-2009, 11:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

Originally Posted by nebster
http://www.modified.com/tech/modp-0906-mitsubishi-lancer-evo-9-wheel-tester/index.html

[img]http://image.modified.com/f/15866183/modp-0906-22-mitsubishi-lancer-evo-9-wheel-tester-performance-chart.jpg[img]
So according to that chart, the $160 5zigen are better wheels than the $600 Rays.
Old 04-26-2009, 11:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Feel free to throw out some ideas on wheels that you think are good for the price.
Old 04-26-2009, 11:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by CarbonXe
http://www.modified.com/tech/modp-0906-mitsubishi-lancer-evo-9-wheel-tester/index.html

[img]http://image.modified.com/f/15866183/modp-0906-22-mitsubishi-lancer-evo-9-wheel-tester-performance-chart.jpg[img]
So according to that chart, the $160 5zigen are better wheels than the $600 Rays.
Haha, I thought the same thing.
Old 04-26-2009, 11:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

Enkei RPF1
Gram Light 57D
SSR Type C
WedsSport SA-70
Gram Light 57C
Old 04-26-2009, 11:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I've been talking to a couple of people that were involved in this test and its kinda screwed up to be honest.

1. there is so much variance between each track time. different times in day = different tire temperatures. also there is so much driver differential. Mostly when you're talking this close of times its tough to say which is a "faster" wheel.
2. they didn't quantify any strength measurements. But they did address the fact that if you get off the track, the stronger wheels could just bend vs. the cheaper wheels breaking and destroying your car.

The point is this. they addressed it and everyone here addresses it. YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR. If you pay for cheap crappy wheels you'll get cheap crappy results and a lack of respect.

from this article this is what i gathered which i apply to everything. If you're going to get one thing, do it right the first time

One look at the prices and you’ll instantly know we’re talking about a broad range of different wheels. Although you’re sure to get what you pay for, tuners should also keep in mind to tune within their own budget. The fact that there is a $575 difference between the highest and lowest price wheel means that you can buy three entry-level wheels for the price of one top-of-the-line forged monoblock. This might make sense if you’re a budget racer and treat wheels as disposable items like brake pads, but if you’re looking at just one set of wheels for your ride, sometimes it’s better to spend a little more and get what fits your needs exactly.
also
The 5Zigen wheel was consistently faster than most and on average the fastest while the AXIS wheel was the slowest. Ironically, both are gravity-cast and the cheapest of the wheels. While the results are real, if we factor in minor variations between each lap and the couple-degree change in track temps, we think claiming one wheel to be faster would be unwarranted.
so take it for what its worth. the article presents many advantages and disadvantages. I just thought it was interesting.
Old 04-26-2009, 11:48 PM
aen
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by JaCqEeZ
HA! F that, i wouldnt put a wheel that expensive on a scion. Don't get me wrong, i luv my car but to put on wheels that expensive would probably be about 1/3 of my cars value.
thats what seperates a true enthusiast from a person that just has fun

that's like saying

i'm not putting a 100k motor in that 10k kit car.
Old 04-26-2009, 11:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by JaCqEeZ
i put 8 wheels that expensive on my scion.

and my wheels on my bmw are almost twice the cost of those works
Old 04-26-2009, 11:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

and ben?
Old 04-26-2009, 11:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

I've been talking to a couple of people that were involved in this test and its kinda screwed up to be honest.

1. there is so much variance between each track time. different times in day = different tire temperatures. also there is so much driver differential. Mostly when you're talking this close of times its tough to say which is a "faster" wheel.
2. they didn't quantify any strength measurements. But they did address the fact that if you get off the track, the stronger wheels could just bend vs. the cheaper wheels breaking and destroying your car.

The point is this. they addressed it and everyone here addresses it. YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR. If you pay for cheap crappy wheels you'll get cheap crappy results and a lack of respect.

from this article this is what i gathered which i apply to everything. If you're going to get one thing, do it right the first time

One look at the prices and you’ll instantly know we’re talking about a broad range of different wheels. Although you’re sure to get what you pay for, tuners should also keep in mind to tune within their own budget. The fact that there is a $575 difference between the highest and lowest price wheel means that you can buy three entry-level wheels for the price of one top-of-the-line forged monoblock. This might make sense if you’re a budget racer and treat wheels as disposable items like brake pads, but if you’re looking at just one set of wheels for your ride, sometimes it’s better to spend a little more and get what fits your needs exactly.
also
The 5Zigen wheel was consistently faster than most and on average the fastest while the AXIS wheel was the slowest. Ironically, both are gravity-cast and the cheapest of the wheels. While the results are real, if we factor in minor variations between each lap and the couple-degree change in track temps, we think claiming one wheel to be faster would be unwarranted.
so take it for what its worth. the article presents many advantages and disadvantages. I just thought it was interesting.
I was just trying to point out that the cheapest wheels yielded the best performance. And if you don't think the test was properly done, why try to use it as any kind of credible evidence? I'm not going to disagree with what you're trying to say about cheap wheels, I fully understand that whole concept.
Old 04-26-2009, 11:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yes?
Old 04-26-2009, 11:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

also
I was just trying to point out that the cheapest wheels yielded the best performance. And if you don't think the test was properly done, why try to use it as any kind of credible evidence? I'm not going to disagree with what you're trying to say about cheap wheels, I fully understand that whole concept.
i wasn't using that to talk about cheap wheels, i was using it to talk about axis wheels. Axis wheels are much outside the margin of error.

Basically i wouldn't ever run an axis wheel and for what you pay for them i'd much rather go for a enkei rpf1
Old 04-27-2009, 03:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

5zigen was the fastest wheel is that what it says ?
Old 04-27-2009, 02:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I've got Axis Shines because I liked the design and the look went well with my tC at the time.

If I could afford Works, I would have bought those...

I agree with Ben though...you get what you pay for....save up and get a quality wheel.

I never saw Works or Volks up close until AFTER I got my Axis wheels....I should have waited a little longer. They are beautiful wheels honestly...
Old 04-27-2009, 03:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Ronin Scion
SL Member
Premium Member

I have axis decades, it looks awesome on my CSM.. I never had issues with it when it comes to concerns of breaking.. I daily drive the car, its has made its way from the top to bottom tip of texas several times and drive it twice 2 ways to chicago with the worst driving condition seen, hit curbs and deep potholes like daily drivers does.. they stand the abuse, they didnt break or crack but some bad curb rash and dents at best.. I didnt regret getting these for the kind of use I put my wheels, if it was wheels like works, rays and those high end ones i would have babied it and dont feel too confident using them like the way im using mine right now..

Performance wise, dont expect them to perform as they are not designed to do so.. they are not even designed to be lightweight so dont expect to get improvements from it on the track..

Quick Reply: Why so much hate on Axis wheels?