Notices
Scion tC 2G Aero & Exterior Aero parts and exterior dress items...

2014 tC Headlight and Running Bulb size..

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2013, 08:07 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by biglilsteve
That surprises me. I am looking to get the Morimoto 35w setup with XB35 bulbs. How is the output not what you expected?

And a projector with a clear lens will definitely increase the performance of your headlights. I believe the 2014 tC uses a smaller 2.5" projector lens (instead of the 3" one used in the 11-13 tC). If that is the case, I strongly recommend you grabbing one of these:
http://www.theretrofitsource.com/pro...ducts_id=25696

It's a relatively inexpensive way to get the most out of your stock projectors. It is also super easy to swap out a lens too once you have your headlights baked open. And don't be intimidated by baking headlights. It's way easy and doesn't damage them at all as long as you do it properly. Only ignorance can mess them up. I had never baked a headlight in my life before installing my halos. The process was so simple.
I just bought a 55w 4300k morimoto kit. The output was so intense. Looked like the sun was out. I tried their bulbs with my old 35w ballast and they actually look 4300k. I'm going to try a 35w 5000k morimoto. I'm afraid of using the 55w as I hear they can ruin the head light. Doesn't make sense because stock halogen is 55w
Old 10-09-2013, 10:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by DAN13L
I just bought a 55w 4300k morimoto kit. The output was so intense. Looked like the sun was out. I tried their bulbs with my old 35w ballast and they actually look 4300k. I'm going to try a 35w 5000k morimoto. I'm afraid of using the 55w as I hear they can ruin the head light. Doesn't make sense because stock halogen is 55w
After using mine for a couple months now...they look great. I have the 35W 5000k Morimoto kit. The only complaints I have so far is that the relays seem to be sticking at times. Left headlight then right then both. Its very sporadic. But its happened three times in the past couple months. I checked my connections..they all look good. I actually have the left relay grounded at the battery so I know that isnt an issue. The other is grounded on upper grill mount. That one is questionable since it is painted. But doesnt explain why both go out.
Old 10-09-2013, 10:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The Morimoto bulbs probably didn't look as good with your old ballasts because they were cheaper? Remember, you kind of upgraded twice. You went from 35w to 50w and also went from a cheap ballast to a Morimoto ballast. I would guess that the difference between 35w and 55w Morimoto ballasts would be smaller.

I think the issue is that 55w HID bulbs burn hotter than 55w halogen bulbs. But either way, I've been running a cheap DDM 55w kit for almost 3 years in my 2011 and my projector bowls are flawless. I was able to get a close look at them a few months back when I installed my halos. No burning/scorching or anything.

When my DDM kit craps out, I'm going to replace it with a 35w 5000k Morimoto kit.
Old 10-09-2013, 11:11 PM
5 Year Member

The Morimoto bulbs probably didn't look as good with your old ballasts because they were cheaper? Remember, you kind of upgraded twice. You went from 35w to 50w and also went from a cheap ballast to a Morimoto ballast. I would guess that the difference between 35w and 55w Morimoto ballasts would be smaller.

I think the issue is that 55w HID bulbs burn hotter than 55w halogen bulbs. But either way, I've been running a cheap DDM 55w kit for almost 3 years in my 2011 and my projector bowls are flawless. I was able to get a close look at them a few months back when I installed my halos. No burning/scorching or anything.

When my DDM kit craps out, I'm going to replace it with a 35w 5000k Morimoto kit.
Yes they are cheap ballast. The Retrofitsource website suggest 35W because 55W won't be much of a difference so that is where I assume I have cheap ballast. My previous bulbs were also cheap, if I turned on the car to soon after going to 7-eleven, only one would turn on. The morimoto bulbs always come on regardless of how soon I turn the car back on. Cut off on morimoto also look better. They don't look like BMWs but they look like Mustangs and Comaros with stock HID.

I have spent so much money on HID kits. I am glad it's coming to an end. That's what I get for listening to people with HID kits rather than doing my own research.
Old 10-09-2013, 11:14 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by cuball
After using mine for a couple months now...they look great. I have the 35W 5000k Morimoto kit. The only complaints I have so far is that the relays seem to be sticking at times. Left headlight then right then both. Its very sporadic. But its happened three times in the past couple months. I checked my connections..they all look good. I actually have the left relay grounded at the battery so I know that isnt an issue. The other is grounded on upper grill mount. That one is questionable since it is painted. But doesnt explain why both go out.

Are the Relays necessary? I can't find a reliable source that says it is. I don't use it because I can't find a good place to put them on.
Old 10-10-2013, 01:26 AM
5 Year Member

A photo of both kits. Left side is 55w morimoto and right is 35w helios kit. Both bulbs are 4300k morimoto. Bulbs look yellow on 55w ballast.

Old 10-13-2013, 05:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Relays aren't entirely necessary. I am running 55w HIDs for low beams and 35w HIDs for fogs and neither of them have relays. No problems.
Old 10-14-2013, 12:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by DAN13L
Are you running the Morimoto's on a 2014 tC? I'm still having problems with lights not staring at times...sometimes on left, then right...and at times both. Turn them off and back on...and they work. I have gone over my wiring 5 times. I dont see a problem. Must be defaulty hardware.
Old 10-14-2013, 01:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

This problem is with Morimotos? Or another set.
Old 10-14-2013, 06:11 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Are you running the Morimoto's on a 2014 tC? I'm still having problems with lights not staring at times...sometimes on left, then right...and at times both. Turn them off and back on...and they work. I have gone over my wiring 5 times. I dont see a problem. Must be defaulty hardware.
This happens when you THINK the MALE & FEMALE harness are making full contact.

make sure these 2 are plugged in all the way
Name:  DSC01607.jpg
Views: 3328
Size:  71.0 KB
Old 10-14-2013, 12:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by KILLER
This happens when you THINK the MALE & FEMALE harness are making full contact.

make sure these 2 are plugged in all the way
That is the connection going from ballast to bulb..right? I have unplugged and snapped them back in place..dont know how else to make a better connection.

And yes Biglilsteve I'm running the Morimoto elite set.

One other question. On previous HID's I have installed I have only connected one of the two OEM wires to power on the system. Is this the same with this kit? I noticed that one side has some sort of bypass that allows a connection from OEM wireset and connects to another male on the other end. Not sure if that is used....but maybe that is the problem. One thing about the Morimoto set is it doesnt have detailed instructions with the kit. You have to go to their web site and look up each item (Ballast, Relays) to see how to connect them. I know its pretty straight forward but it doesnt explain the extra connection I'm questioning.

I think I will end up calling their support team again.
Old 11-18-2013, 03:24 AM
5 Year Member

Yes I am, I havent had any issues with these. What are you running? I had cheap bulbs that did that and replacing the bulbs worked. I don't know what to tell you.
Old 11-18-2013, 03:26 AM
5 Year Member

I'm trying to adjust the beam, I think I screwed it up. I have no idea how to get it back. You think the dealer can readjust it for me when I get it serviced?
Old 12-05-2013, 09:33 PM
5 Year Member

Default Power Steering malfunction

I just received a power steering malfunction after over 5 months of owning the car with only 4400 miles on it. If I didn't use the relay harness, could the HID kit be the problems? I have had HIDs for 4 months. Everything else works fine. Should I remove the Kit before I send it back to the dealer?
Old 12-05-2013, 09:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You mean like a warning light? The HIDs shouldn't be to blame. I ran HIDs without relays for years without problems. Definitely take them out prior to going to the dealer just to be safe.
Old 12-05-2013, 10:00 PM
5 Year Member

You mean like a warning light? The HIDs shouldn't be to blame. I ran HIDs without relays for years without problems. Definitely take them out prior to going to the dealer just to be safe.
Thanks for the quick reply, Ill do that.
Old 01-02-2014, 11:25 PM
5 Year Member

Can someone confirm and possibly link to a correct bulb size for the plate and running lights? Im looking for 6000k color.. Would this product fit?
Amazon.com: Zone Tech 4pcs 20-smd T10 12v Light LED Replacement Bulbs 168 194 2825 W5w - White: Automotive Amazon.com: Zone Tech 4pcs 20-smd T10 12v Light LED Replacement Bulbs 168 194 2825 W5w - White: Automotive
Old 01-02-2014, 11:35 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by strazimiri
Can someone confirm and possibly link to a correct bulb size for the plate and running lights? Im looking for 6000k color.. Would this product fit?
Amazon.com: Zone Tech 4pcs 20-smd T10 12v Light LED Replacement Bulbs 168 194 2825 W5w - White: Automotive
Seems right, but I would go with Philips.
Old 01-03-2014, 12:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Amazon.com: Zone Tech 4pcs 20-smd T10 12v Light LED Replacement Bulbs 168 194 2825 W5w - White: Automotive
These are the ones I got. Been working great without a problem. You might want to put a piece of electrical tape around the socket as I lost one of the in the lens...was a big pain to get it out.

https://www.superbrightleds.com/more...ower/910/2244/
Old 01-03-2014, 03:53 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

headlights : 9006

running light by headlight : 194
http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/19...tor-Lens-White

rear plate : 194
http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/19...-10-x-5630-SMD

those are what im running

Quick Reply: 2014 tC Headlight and Running Bulb size..