Notices
Scion tC 2G Aero & Exterior Aero parts and exterior dress items...

Colored Wax? TurtleWax Black Box

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 05:26 PM

Default Colored Wax? TurtleWax Black Box

Has anyone ever tried TurtleWax Black Box? I am trying to find a quality line up for washing my black car. If you have any other suggestions let me know.

www.turtlewaxblackbox.com
Old 07-18-2011, 05:46 PM

I have used black box on my old accord that was black. I loved the way it turned out every time. Its a lot of work though, more steps just just applying the wax.
Old 07-18-2011, 05:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

There's also a detailer spray for black cars also, might even be by TurtleWax brand, haven't had a chance to put it to use though.
Old 07-18-2011, 06:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i used it and its great...but if you have swirls even with all the work u put in, the black box will not remove it!
Old 07-18-2011, 07:14 PM

Looks like a long process but from what I have read it seems like a good product.

1.) Wash and thoroughly dry car. Use a high quality, non-spotting vehicle wash such as Turtle Wax® Ice® Car Wash. Vehicle finish should be cool to the touch. Do not apply in direct sunlight.
2.) Use gloves if hands are sensitive to car wax and/or black pigments.
3.) Apply Step 1, Black Pre-Wax Cleaner & Conditioner to applicator and apply to vehicle using a back and forth motion to deep clean finish. Let dry to a haze. Apply to one section of the vehicle at a time.
4.) Lightly mist Black Spray Detailer onto a folded micro-fiber cloth or onto surface and remove polish. Use the same applicator and micro fiber towel until entire vehicle has been prepared with Step 1.
5.) Using the other applicator, apply Step 2, Black Carnauba Blend Wax, to the vehicle finish using a back and forth motion. Let dry to a haze.
6.) Lightly mist Black Spray Detailer onto a fresh, folded micro fiber towel or onto waxed surface and lightly buff to a high gloss shine turning cloth frequently.
7.) Use a clean micro fiber towel and Black Spray Detailer for a final wipe of each section to enhance finish.
8.) Wash hands thoroughly after use.
Old 10-17-2011, 05:17 PM

Avoid Turtle Wax and what not if you want good results, try Pete’s 53' black Pearl wax. Superior wax with amazing results. A bit pricey ($40) depending on how much you've invested into your supplies much cheaper than Migliore Primo($100) but with just as good results with dark cars. If $40 is too much check out the Poorboys dark car color wax and car glaze will work well and you won't have to break the bank.
-Side note no amount of waxing will remove swirls or holograms but Adams Swirl and Haze remover is a good way to go if you want to try by hand, but it's going to take a while with limited results.
Old 10-17-2011, 07:56 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Issues w/ turtle wax Boston? Have you tried the Black Box? Sorry for the criticism, but it seems every time there's a wax question one of the responses is don't use (name brand wax) it sucks (without explination), I would only use (high end, boutique wax). It costs more (around 10x or more) but it's worth it (again, without explination).

Is the 53 easy to apply / remove, how is the shine, and how long does it last? My personal experience is name brand, haven't dabbled with online order. From what I've used, the turtle wax carnuba's are stiff to apply, and a huge pain to remove completely. The black box lists carnuba and for that reason I wouldn't give it a go. Turtle's ICE line however gives pretty good results. Avoid the liquid and spray and go for the proper paste.

My personal use is Meguiar's next generation tech wax 2.0 paste, easy on, easy off, and high gloss shine that lasts for about 2 months. Poking around online some people recommend Meguiar's 26 high tech yellow wax, it's a mix of carnuba and synthetic. I've never had good luck with Mother's, it always seems to swirl or stay hazy, no matter how much I polish, and gums up the buffer pads.
Old 10-17-2011, 09:32 PM

Fair enough vettereddie, criticism without explanation is a bit unfair. Personally I started out using the same turtle wax's and products to find myself being laughed at and the butt of many jokes from my detailing buddies when it comes to the seriousness of my car up keep when i am simply buying and using a Mothers, Meguires or Turtle wax product based upon the label on the outside of the bottle. I found many turtle wax products to feel cheap...which they are. I initially was using the same wax as you, the Meguires Tech wax but found that on trim it would leave horrible white stains which took time and peanut butter to get off of the car. However, I highly recommend mothers detail spray for claying the car because it’s not expensive given that you’re using a bit of it to clay a car.

I found that while seemingly unnecessary, spending good money on products does give back to you. The Petes 53' is probably the easiest wax I have to apply and remove next to the Poorboys wax. However, aside from all of the hype in the price of the object I found that indeed Petes 53' lasted longer and provided a much better shine and depth. I will usually use a glaze before my waxing to further that "wet" look. However, if the paint isn't pristine then no matter what wax or what price you will not be satisfied. The Migliore Primo wax is a great product but on a scale of 1-10 it is a 10 for difficulty in application and removal but it also has an unrivaled shine but a price tag that is border line too much ($100). The length to which it will stay on is a bit less than that of either Poorboys or Pete's because it is more fruit oils then carnauba and synthetic compounds.

All and all if you are looking for a good/ great wax that is the easiest to apply and remove and leaves little to no residue and can be applied in the sun or shade I would 100% go with Poor Boys, if you’re looking to spend $20 more and get it back in shine and pride then I would recommend the Pete's 53'. NO wax will perform miracles on bad paint, it’s all aesthetics, like wise if you don’t care that much for the time or effort then use poorboys or Meguires, if you want to spend the time and effort then make it worth the 6 or 7 hours you’ll spend detailing and use a good wax.

One thing i would like to do is dispel all rumors about the "carnauba percentage". For the most part the waxes will respond all the same, more carnauba will make it harder to apply but you will find a better rain repellent and a bit better shine. P21S concours is a great wax at a decent price that fits into the Pete's 53' category. They have another one called P21s carnauba which boasts a little higher carnauba content but isn’t necessarily worth the $60 price tag.

On a side note if you find that your cars finish is a bit hazy, first clay the car, then either use a paint cleaner like p21(just Google p21 paint cleaner) or use 50/50 rubbing alcohol and water to strip the car from all previous products and wipe with a clean microfiber. then use the polish if you’re using one then a glaze for shine if you want to, and then use either a sealant if it’s going to be not rewashed or taken care of like for the winter or something (6mo) or one of the waxes as mentioned above if you can get back to it before the next season (+/- 2/3months)
Old 10-17-2011, 10:31 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

One word "Zaino" This wax freeken rocks. My dad has a 2004 Tripple black Corvette and this is his wax of choice. The depth that you get out of the paint once you use this stuff you will never use anything else. This stuff rocks, the only product I use on my car.
http://www.zainostore.com/
Old 10-17-2011, 11:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'll avoid from commenting on "what wax" to use but rather leave advice on what not to use. From there, you do what you want.

Avoid using waxes with high silicon. This includes waxes like the new "nano waxes" and "tech waxes" that you see everywhere. They are littered with silicon which is why they buff on and off so easy. Silicon is very bad for your paint over the long-term. Why? Because it seals your paint, which is exactly what you don't want a wax to do. I know, I know, this sounds like the complete opposite of what waxes promote, but think of your paint as the pores on your skin. If you clog these pores, you breakout or your skin dries and cracks. The same with your paint. It will eventually dry and cause the paint to become brittle.

Waxes with low silicon will take a little more work to apply and remove, but the reward is greater. Try applying the wax with a damp applicator pad. This will help the wax go on smoother and more consistent, aiding with removal. Claybaring the car before waxing will also make it easier to remove after.

As for this Turtle Wax stuff, it is chalked full of silicon and dyes. The silicon has been described above, the dye, well that is self explanatory. The dye fills your swirls and hides a lot of the bigger imperfections. The silicon hides the rest. The result is a covered and sealed paint that will look great for the short term but ruin the life of your factory paint.

Anyways, that's the short of it. I detailed for years and still do it for fun. There are some good products, but not many anymore. Ask around for the chemical composition of your products and you'll learn there is more than just a name behind products.

Hope that helps.
Old 10-18-2011, 01:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by 1stOne
I'
As for this Turtle Wax stuff, it is chalked full of silicon and dyes. The silicon has been described above, the dye, well that is self explanatory. The dye fills your swirls and hides a lot of the bigger imperfections. The silicon hides the rest. The result is a covered and sealed paint that will look great for the short term but ruin the life of your factory paint.

Hope that helps.
Piggy backing on this.... The first wax I used was the Turtle High tech paste, and it says it is safe for plastics, so I said; hey I am going to get some residue on the black plastic stuff anyway. May as well make it shinny right?

Wrong. My car is 4 months old and nearly ALL the black plastic I used the Turtle wax on is discoloring. I had heard many years ago that silicone dries out plastic over time, but I was not aware the Turtle wax had such a high content. When I worked at a dealer, the detail guys always told me not to use ArmourAll because if you ever stoped using it, my interiour would turn grey. Furthermore, it says right on the can of wax paste "Safe for plastics."

It is REALLY bad on the black plastic corner pieces, rear of the hood, just before the mirrors. In bright sunlight, those now look grey.... Thanks Turtle, I wont use your product again.
Old 10-18-2011, 11:36 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Great write-up Boston, +1 on the Mother's clay bar, works great and the spray smells like cinnamon. I honestly haven't had an issue w/ staining using the tech wax, then again on the xB about the only rubber / plastic are where the window wipers are and the rubber trim around the roof. Also, it still seemed like a bad idea to try and use wax as a trim protectant, so never tried that. Use back to black to try and restore the greying plastic. It won't last forever, but will keep it shiny black for a while.

1stOne, the claim that silicone is bad for the paint sounds a bit suspect. Silicone is inert and does not react chemically w/ anything, and modern urethane paints chemically cure, once the curing process completes there's nothing to "dry out". Can you link any source info for silicone being bad or aging tests on paint swatches? As with any wax, not properly washing, clay bar, cleaning, etc. first will leave dirt, stains and such embedded in the paint and the wax will seal right over them, regardless of wax type. The biggest issue w/ paint is oxidation, and to keep that from happening you want the paint sealed. Probably the only issue w/ using it would be if you have to repaint, if all the silicone isn't removed it will fish eye.

See the autotopia guide for further details, with mirrored statements on Meguiar's FAQ and forums.

The Role Silicone Plays in Car Care Products

Are products that contain silicone bad for my car's finish?

The Good and Bad Types of Silicone

I will agree, any wax with dyes is not good, it will fill scratches but also hide the base paint color, giving a duller finish.

Last edited by vettereddie; 10-18-2011 at 08:29 PM.
Old 10-18-2011, 11:56 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

topher, your link doesn't work, try this instead:

Waiting for someone to chime in on how awesome Zymol is. 8 oz., $50.
Old 10-18-2011, 07:47 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by vettereddie
topher, your link doesn't work, try this instead:

Waiting for someone to chime in on how awesome Zymol is. 8 oz., $50.
Thanks Vetter

Zymol is ok I have used it... Like the coconut smell. But Trust me when I say Zaino is better.
Old 03-13-2012, 10:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by cubalian
Has anyone ever tried TurtleWax Black Box? I am trying to find a quality line up for washing my black car. If you have any other suggestions let me know.

www.turtlewaxblackbox.com
Go here and read #22...http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sho...906#post633906

The shine is better than ANYTHING I HAVE EVER USED ! I have a truckload of stuff that I have tried and NOTHING COMPARES to this. Not even the Meguiars Microfiber Correction KIt. You won't regret it. it is worth all your effort, and the shine lasts pretty good. It rained and snowed, but a quick wash and wipedown brought back all that gleam!
Old 03-13-2012, 10:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by bwhite
Go here and read #22...http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sho...906#post633906

The shine is better than ANYTHING I HAVE EVER USED ! I have a truckload of stuff that I have tried and NOTHING COMPARES to this. Not even the Meguiars Microfiber Correction KIt. You won't regret it. it is worth all your effort, and the shine lasts pretty good. It rained and snowed, but a quick wash and wipedown brought back all that gleam!

My boy emo1127 just used this product everything that has been stated is true. Im going to start using it to.
Old 03-13-2012, 11:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Holy old post ^