Notices
Scion tC 2G Aero & Exterior Aero parts and exterior dress items...

Crazy Bright Flexible LED Strips

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2011, 02:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Crazy Bright Flexible LED Strips

So I totally stole this DRL idea from someone else on here, but the flexible LED strips I've found so far just aren't very bright and it's obviously hard to know how bright the LEDs online really are.

So anyone know of 12" flexible LED strips that are very bright? Front or side mount will work as long as the front mount strip is the normal width.

Thanks

Old 06-28-2011, 03:08 PM
DaYUUM/Scion Evolution
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

i was seriously look up the same thing! haha i went back to the forum to try and look for the original guy that did it and found this!

if i find anything i'll let u know...or if u find something let me know

side topic: how are u wiring them by the way? always on? or w/ headlights? or w/parking lights?

Last edited by KidJustin; 06-28-2011 at 03:53 PM.
Old 06-28-2011, 05:25 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I just got one from ijdmtoy (they have several types of LED strips and LED DRLs) and will tap to corner lights wires that way it will turn on, on parking lights/corners and headlights. Very easy to install. I did one on my last car.
Old 06-28-2011, 05:55 PM
SL Member

Originally Posted by MightyP
So I totally stole this DRL idea from someone else on here, but the flexible LED strips I've found so far just aren't very bright and it's obviously hard to know how bright the LEDs online really are.

So anyone know of 12" flexible LED strips that are very bright? Front or side mount will work as long as the front mount strip is the normal width.

Thanks

I wonder how they are mounted?
Old 06-28-2011, 06:50 PM
DaYUUM/Scion Evolution
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

ijdmtoys is pretty pricey...

ebay ones are MUCH cheaper, but i'm worried the quality will be terrible
Old 06-28-2011, 08:30 PM
SL Member

I've been wanting to do this, but how can you get them to connect to the side markers? The sidemarker wires are so short and have a black cover around most of it .
Old 06-28-2011, 09:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have mine setup to be on any time the car is on. I tapped power off the MAF sensor. The right way to do it is to go into the cabin and get power off a fuse there.

And oznium has front mount flex LEDs for about $30 for a pair, but not sure how bright they really are...
Old 06-28-2011, 10:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

@ BlackCloudz these lights use 3M tape, and above the top of your headlight housing is a little lip that they fit into/behind, and shine through perfectly. I am working on my DIY were I explain how to hook it up to the fuse box. Its almost done and on the way....stay tuned!
Old 06-28-2011, 10:38 PM
SL Member

Is there an easy way to get power from the fuse box and look nice and clean? These fuses are hard to work with. Blah Scion has to be different.
Old 06-29-2011, 12:43 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Nolakpd504 look for something called an Add-a-fuse. Usally can get them from any auto store they work well.
Old 06-29-2011, 12:49 AM
SL Member

I tried the one from auto zone, it didn't fit. It would slide in and then fall right out. I was wondering if there were add-a-fuse 's for low profile fuses.
Old 06-29-2011, 01:02 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

i bought mine from autozone and wired them into my parking lights and upgraded my fuse to a 20. mine are really bright
Old 06-29-2011, 01:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Full amatuer DIY posted in a new thread with pics! I know I would certainly like to find some that are brighter though.

@ nolakpd504 You cant use the factory fuse in the addacircuit, you have to use the common mini fuses. It does the same job though.

@ colinantherus: I am no expert, but from what I have read, the higher the amps that go through the wire, the more heat = greater chance of wires melting? From what I understand, higher amps will not make the LED brighter, will it? I use a 3amp because I read that a 12 inch strip will only pull about 1.4 amps, and I have 2 strips, and thus, my fuse will pop in the event that a surge happens, instead of frying my wires/causing a fire.....

Last edited by Druidiron; 06-29-2011 at 01:35 AM.
Old 06-29-2011, 02:15 AM
SL Member

Originally Posted by Druidiron
Full amatuer DIY posted in a new thread with pics! I know I would certainly like to find some that are brighter though.

@ nolakpd504 You cant use the factory fuse in the addacircuit, you have to use the common mini fuses. It does the same job though.

@ colinantherus: I am no expert, but from what I have read, the higher the amps that go through the wire, the more heat = greater chance of wires melting? From what I understand, higher amps will not make the LED brighter, will it? I use a 3amp because I read that a 12 inch strip will only pull about 1.4 amps, and I have 2 strips, and thus, my fuse will pop in the event that a surge happens, instead of frying my wires/causing a fire.....
No what i meant was the legs of the add-a-fuse that go into the fuse slot in the fuse box. I tried putting it in and it fell right out.Im not talking about the fuse that goes into the add-a-fuse
Old 06-29-2011, 02:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

@ nolakpd504: Thats wierd man, mine worked first try every try. I must have plugged it in and out 30+ times with a problem. Now you got me nervous like its gonna fall out...lol. maybe try very gently and gradually bending the post? or return and exchange it.
Old 06-29-2011, 02:28 AM
SL Member

do u know the part number? maybe i was trying a different one
Old 06-29-2011, 02:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

We are stealing the thread, gonna PM you with a link to the exact one I used.
Old 06-29-2011, 02:42 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

@druidiron i used a larger fuse because the 10 or 15 amp fuse that was being used by the parking lights wouldnt be able to handle the lights being spliced in. all it does is allow for more electricity to be used. ive had my "audi style lights" on my headlights for around a month and a half and the wires are still in perfect condition
Old 06-29-2011, 02:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Oh I see. I was assuming you did what we were talking about with the add-a-circuit. Im picking up what your putting down, now!
Old 06-30-2011, 08:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default another option

Check this site out, if they are anything like the pic, should be pretty bright!

http://www.carid.com/2011-scion-tc-x...kit-92558.html

Quick Reply: Crazy Bright Flexible LED Strips