Notices
Scion tC 2G Aero & Exterior Aero parts and exterior dress items...

Plastidip front lip

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2012, 06:10 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Plastidip front lip

I see a lot of people on here with the front lip plastidip. I am gunna do that. I was wondering when I mask off my bumper and spray it down and have it black, how do I remove the tape and keep a sharp edge with peeling up the rubber?!
Old 08-10-2012, 11:11 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Peel it off at an angle when its wet, If you take too long you'll end up peeling off the plasti dip and ruining the edge.
Old 08-16-2012, 05:21 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by stankyrice
Peel it off at an angle when its wet, If you take too long you'll end up peeling off the plasti dip and ruining the edge.
Let it dry then peel or peel when wet?
Old 08-16-2012, 07:23 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by doubles87
Let it dry then peel or peel when wet?
Peel off when it's wet cus if u do it when it's dry ur gunna peel the plastidip right off thanks btw ^
Old 08-20-2012, 02:06 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by derr
Peel off when it's wet cus if u do it when it's dry ur gunna peel the plastidip right off thanks btw ^
Wish I read this earlier I ended ruining an hr last night messing up the front lip but no big deal.

How do you do multiple coats then if you have to peel the tape right away
Old 08-20-2012, 02:50 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Testing that now I just did one coat but now 3 more lol hmmmmm
Old 08-20-2012, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by derr
Testing that now I just did one coat but now 3 more lol hmmmmm
i dont think it will work with multiple coats... I did my front and back with plasti dip yesterday and for the front i sprayed one thick coat from left to right... and then i quickly removed the tape from left to right but when i reached the right side it was already drying up. So i had to wait for the whole thing to dry then peel it off then do it over again.... i learned my lesson.
Old 08-20-2012, 03:19 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

What about emblems - I don't plan on taking off the Scion Emblem at the back and have done this one and re-doing it. Do people mostly leave it on and just peel around? I saw one guy just make a square around his emblem and then just peel around and it peeled perfectly. will this work?

Check out this video for clarification on the process I'm talking about -
Old 08-20-2012, 03:25 PM

What about emblems - I don't plan on taking off the Scion Emblem at the back and have done this one and re-doing it. Do people mostly leave it on and just peel around? I saw one guy just make a square around his emblem and then just peel around and it peeled perfectly. will this work?

Check out this video for clarification on the process I'm talking about - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FchIWF8Vi2Y
yeah it will work just fine.. trust me. But for the emblems make sure you follow the instructions on the can.

I have done the bottom of the front and back and all of the emblems, ;) (everything with plasti dip)

Old 08-20-2012, 03:29 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by PjDaBadMan
yeah it will work just fine.. trust me. But for the emblems make sure you follow the instructions on the can.

I have done the bottom of the front and back and all of the emblems, ;) (everything with plasti dip)

Is your car lowered? Do you have any pictures of the front lip head on? I'm looking to just see the angles you used. Did you just do one coat for the front?
Old 08-20-2012, 03:36 PM

Is your car lowered? Do you have any pictures of the front lip head on? I'm looking to just see the angles you used. Did you just do one coat for the front?
these are the best 2 i have of the front... i might take some more pictures later. And to awnser the questions.. no my car isnt lowered ;) and yea i did one thick ___ coat for the front and back then peeled the tape off right away.

Old 08-20-2012, 03:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hey in reference to that video: Did he just allow it to overspray right on the car paint in that square and then peal the plastidip right off his paint?
He made it look easy.
To the gentleman in the white car above. How did you seal off the SCION text? Did you peal the plastidip from the emblem the the guy in the video? Or tape it?
Also do you think that one coat will be good enough? I see you mentioned it however was a thick coat. I suppose you could always tape again and paint one more layer if need be.
My car is already black so I cant do that many cool things.
Old 08-20-2012, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by StatuSCheckA
Hey in reference to that video: Did he just allow it to overspray right on the car paint in that square and then peal the plastidip right off his paint?
He made it look easy.
To the gentleman in the white car above. How did you seal off the SCION text? Did you peal the plastidip from the emblem the the guy in the video? Or tape it?
I painted it just like the guy in the video then after it all dried up i got some white paint and a small brush and painted over the plasti dip to make the text white.
Old 08-20-2012, 03:50 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

He made it look easy.
Yeah you overspray and then it peels easier - won't leave anything on the car when you spray evenly.

Here's how it's done on a scion -
(EXCEPT COVER OFF MORE! it'll then spray on the body and that sucks)
Old 08-20-2012, 03:52 PM

Yeah you overspray and then it peels easier - won't leave anything on the car when you spray evenly.

Here's how it's done on a scion - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xf7tz1P0bAo&feature=fvst (EXCEPT COVER OFF MORE! it'll then spray on the body and that sucks)
if it sprays on the body all you have to do is get a dry cloth and just rub it off... comes off really easy.
Old 08-20-2012, 04:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Does it naturally adhere to the plastic and not the medal of your car? In that Scion Video it seemed that it came right off the medal, but the plastidip did not peel off the emblem.
Old 08-20-2012, 04:24 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Does it naturally adhere to the plastic and not the medal of your car? In that Scion Video it seemed that it came right off the medal, but the plastidip did not peel off the emblem.
It will stick to all but theres a gap between the emblem and the car so that's likely why it peeled fairly nicely.
Old 08-20-2012, 04:27 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Anyone do the badge? Did you guys take the tC lettering off the car and then put it back on with 3M tape?
Old 08-20-2012, 04:30 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by PjDaBadMan

Old 08-20-2012, 04:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Anyone do the badge? Did you guys take the tC lettering off the car and then put it back on with 3M tape?
Na bro I assume they just sprayed it right on the car and peeled the plastidip off. Looked like it would be even easier than doing the SCION emblems.

Quick Reply: Plastidip front lip