Notices
Scion tC 2G Aero & Exterior Aero parts and exterior dress items...

Seibon Carbon Hood question..

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2011, 10:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Seibon Carbon Hood question..

Ok, so I got this gnarly, hybrid scratch/nick/dent on my hood. Body shops quoted on average $450 to fix ($600 with replacement of the ripoff known as "paint protection film") so being the opportunist I called up Seibon and ordered a VSII hood.

bad news.....

good news.....

I have never messed with car hoods, so I have a few questions for those of you with a Seibon hood.....I've searched all the threads but would like more focused input from a hood swap veteran!

1. The Seibon FAQ's state that all their hoods require hood pins, but of all the Seibons I've seen in the threads, not one has them....hoping someone could explain why they are/aren't necessary.

2. another thread indicated there was a problem with the washer fluid hoses/ jets not fitting the hood correctly.....can anyone elaborate?

3. Is it necessary to put some sort of heat guard on the underside (except the vent of course), or does the painted fiberglass withstand high temps?

4. And could I install myself? the body shop quoted around $75 to do it for me, seems like a decent deal, especially if the hood needs modded. But its just sitting in my house and I want it on NOW I want it to look professional, but if it's not that difficult.

Thanks for any advice.

______

Last edited by MR_LUV; 01-12-2020 at 10:55 AM. Reason: Awarded 5 Yr Badge
Old 09-02-2011, 10:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Your pics dont work, and I dont know jack about CF hoods, but would like to see your scratch on your stock hood.
Old 09-03-2011, 01:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by speterson82
Ok, so I got this gnarly, hybrid scratch/nick/dent on my hood. Body shops quoted on average $450 to fix ($600 with replacement of the ripoff known as "paint protection film") so being the opportunist I called up Seibon and ordered a VSII hood.

Thanks for any advice.
1. "The Seibon FAQ's state that all their hoods require hood pins, but of all the Seibons I've seen in the threads, not one has them. Hoping someone could explain why they are/aren't necessary."

I have VIS Carbon Fiber Hood ( it's same) from 3 years. I have used hood without pins 2years and now running with Sparco hood pins.
Only the difference is the hood without pins at high speed ( over 100mph ) vibrate very little bit. So pins are just to add "better look"
If I were You and decided to buy pins TRY TO FIND AEROCATCH PINS they look much better and they are covered under plastic cover.

2. "Another thread indicated there was a problem with the washer fluid hoses/ jets not fitting the hood correctly. can anyone elaborate?"

Yes, usually u need the file ( like nail file :D ) or drill to make washer hoses holes bigger etc... easy job

3. "Is it necessary to put some sort of heat guard on the underside (except the vent of course), or does the painted fiberglass withstand high temps?"

Carbon will resist heat with no problems. But CF hoods are designed to install your OEM piece of hmm this black thing which is under the hood ( upholstery fabric ? sorry for my English )
All You need to do is pre-drill hood in couple places (usually marked by manufacturer in circles) and prepare holes that U will use to attach, pin this black OEM fabric.

4. "And could I install myself? the body shop quoted around $75 to do it for me, seems like a decent deal, especially if the hood needs modded. But its just sitting in my house and I want it on NOW I want it to look professional, but if it's not that difficult."

Sure, you can do it your self all u need is drill wrench ratchet etc. to unbolt four bolts on handles, then screw new hood BUT DON'T CLOSE IT FAST DO IT SLOWLY AND CAREFULLY AND CHECK ****** ON SIDES (BETWEEN FENDERS AND HOOD).

Last edited by MR_LUV; 01-12-2020 at 11:18 AM. Reason: Awarded 10 Yr Badge
Old 09-03-2011, 01:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I posted the pics from microsoft skydrive....they worked in firefox, but I cant see them in internet explorer, Ill start a photobucket and repost
Old 09-03-2011, 01:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Here's a couple pics of the nick....its not all that big, but its severe, like it actually went through the metal....its wierd
Name:  IMG_0269.jpg
Views: 259
Size:  66.0 KBName:  IMG_0250.jpg
Views: 227
Size:  48.6 KB
Old 09-03-2011, 01:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

and the new hood even though everyone's seen it....it makes me feel better after showin off my biffed up hood

Ill post pics after its on the whip, good lookin out bad boy.....those pins are pretty sicName:  IMG_0261.jpg
Views: 245
Size:  124.3 KB
Old 09-03-2011, 02:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionTific
SL Member

I have a feeling everyone and their mom will tell you not to get hood pins. Get them, doesn't hurt to be safe and keep the hood attached to your car.

You should spend some money and get some good heat shielding to keep to hood from getting spots and it ruins the hood
Old 09-03-2011, 02:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Seibon hoods are clear coated instead of gel coat so the finish should be good with heat but it doesn't hurt to be safe and protect it. The hood pins are a safety issue. I would get them to keep the hood secure. They keep the hood down in case of an accident too, or supposed to anyway. Cf hoods don't bend in an accident like metal hoods, they shatter into Sharp pieces so id say hood pins are a must.
Old 09-03-2011, 04:11 AM

I got the same hood (for TC1) in a some-what similar situation.

As far as hood-pins, it doesn't hurt to be safe. I actually didn't get them, and I'm fine a year later. I think Seibon says that to cover their own ___.

My body shop drilled the nozzle holes a little bigger so they would fit, and they installed the hood for free. But as long as you have another person, you could definitely do it yourself.

And my painted fiberglass looks then same as it did then, just a little dirtier =P
Old 09-03-2011, 11:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

and the new hood even though everyone's seen it....it makes me feel better after showin off my biffed up hood

Ill post pics after its on the whip, good lookin out bad boy.....those pins are pretty sic

I have the same hood! Can't wait to see pics.
Old 09-03-2011, 01:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Backinblacktc2
I have the same hood! Can't wait to see pics.

yeah i actually went through your thread a few times when I was figuring out what to get, so you can probably tell me if 1) you use regular wax on it 2) how you wash it, do you lay a towel underneath or block of the vent.

.....And I will get some hood pins, but I'm wondering....assuming you have to drill holes for the pins, how does drilling through it not split or damage the carbon weave?
Old 09-03-2011, 03:38 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

^^^Its solid so drilling through it wont change the weave at all.

-Hood pins are good for added safety, are they necessary? No, will they help, yes.
-Drill or file will be necessary to open the holes a bit for the washer nozzles to fit.
-Heat guard is completely unnecessary for a vented hood. The hood itself is designed to reduce engine heat.
-Yes you can install it yourself. you need to remove the washer nozzles and tubing for them off your factory hood first. Unbold the 4 bolts and remove the OEM hood. Then you need to fit the nozzles into the CF hood, and bolt the CF hood to the car, run the lines for the nozzles and your all set. I will say this though, the Seibon hoods dont have an opening in them to run the factory nozzle lines, I drilled 2 holes in the frame/support of the hood right next to where the nozzles go and just fed the lines through, once that was done, I trimmed the lines so they werent as long and wouldn't hang loose into the bay. If you wanted to get more secure you can pick up these as well:

They are basically zip ties with a bolt hole so you can screw em into the hood
Old 09-03-2011, 05:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yeah wellesley....great information as always (I don't mean that in a creepy, lurker sort o way ) About those zip ties, can you get them at any hardware/automotive shop? and what kind of screws would you recommend to mount to hood? Wood screws, metal screws etc...

Last edited by speterson82; 09-03-2011 at 11:54 PM.
Old 09-03-2011, 09:55 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

yeah wellesley....great information as always (I don't mean that in a creepy, lurker sort o way ) About those zip ties, can you get them at any hardware/automotive shop? and what kind of screws would you recommend to mount to hood? Wood screws, metal screws etc...

Home Depot usually carries those zip ties or something similar that you can use.

For the screws you have to match the thread pitch in the hood. I had reused the ones that came bolted to the hood that held the wood on it for protection, until I was able to find real replacements at Home Depot. Currently I am using a finishing washer and flat head m6 bolt, works just fine.
Old 09-05-2011, 05:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

Well said Wellesly.

To elaborate on the hood pins issue... The Seibon hoood comes with an OEM latch that matches up just like the stock hood. As for a wreck and having the pins, a front end collision will result the same with or without pins (impact doesn't care whats holding it).

For the bolt up to the car, I used the bolts they had installed and just added flat washers and a fender washer to fit snuggly around the bolt. I got them hand tight first, lowered the hood slowly to make sure it was positioned just right, then tightened with wrench. As always do not over tighten or you risk stripping the threads...
Old 09-05-2011, 09:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

So......the install is done! A friend came to help and did it in <hour. Fitment is spot on, and he actually found a way to run the fluid lines through the hood so ties were not necessary the lines are completely hidden and look great. Also the jets fit perfect in the holes....no filing needed. I thank everyone for their help, I wouldn't have done it without all yer input and will post all pics later today!!!
Old 09-06-2011, 02:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Dent delete........Name:  IMG_0299800x598.jpg
Views: 303
Size:  89.7 KB
Name:  IMG_0300800x598.jpg
Views: 427
Size:  121.8 KB
Name:  IMG_0302800x598.jpg
Views: 234
Size:  92.5 KB
Name:  IMG_0294.jpg
Views: 348
Size:  80.3 KB

Last edited by WellesleyScion; 09-21-2011 at 03:32 PM.
Old 09-06-2011, 03:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

man that looks nice! i want me one pronto!
Old 09-20-2011, 02:36 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Does anyone know if the red line hood damper kit will work on this hood? Bought the kit dropped drilled through my stock hood.... oopppsss! So now i'm buying this as well....
Old 09-20-2011, 10:41 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by messyjesse87
Does anyone know if the red line hood damper kit will work on this hood? Bought the kit dropped drilled through my stock hood.... oopppsss! So now i'm buying this as well....

Haha sounds like you just wanted an excuse for a new CF hood.

Quick Reply: Seibon Carbon Hood question..